Washout at Dawlish

Shuttering wasn't tapered off, Don, they're starting from the other end.

post-5402-0-66460400-1397139742_thumb.jpg

IIRC there was a load of red rock/soil spoil dumped behind the L sections at that end which they look to have been clearing.

Wonder if we'll see big red spidery thing back?

• Like 2

Shuttering wasn't tapered off, Don, they're starting from the other end.

So I see

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

IIRC there was a load of red rock/soil spoil dumped behind the L sections at that end which they look to have been clearing.

I wondered if they had come up against the buried track panels, that is if they were not removed

Wonder if we'll see big red spidery thing back?

Meanwhile out at sea

someone had a grandstand view

post-22449-0-08305100-1397141769_thumb.jpg

And still on a nautical note

the old Lifeboat station

If I remember correctly it was shown on the 1890 Old Maps of Dawlish 1/500 scale

post-22449-0-38358700-1397142266.jpg

the red tent thingy is to shelter the security guys

the foot bridge is just the other side of the lifeboat shed

so they can exit rapidly if the tide starts to splash them!

• Like 4

Much of the 'old red sandstone' cliffs from Teignmouth

[pedant]New Red Sandstone (or Sherwood Sandstone in new money) in fact [/pedant]

I think that what they'd have to be very aware of now is the sheer volume of groundwater in the rock pore spaces before embarking on drilling. Are you going to upset the stability and balance by the very act of drilling for rock bolts? It was very different in the 1990s, much drier.

Pore water pressure is a factor, but NR have been getting geotech advice from ?Camborne School of Mines. If drilling a hole was going to make a significant difference I think it would have fallen down on its own already.

[pedant]New Red Sandstone (or Sherwood Sandstone in new money) in fact [/pedant]

If the cliffs were in Old Red we wouldn't have them falling down as they are

Pore water pressure is a factor, but NR have been getting geotech advice from ?Camborne School of Mines. If drilling a hole was going to make a significant difference I think it would have fallen down on its own already.

It still is, looking at CK's posts. They'd brought much of it down as a clay/sand slurry to get where they are now.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Gold

In BR days there was a geotechnics group at Derby I think, acting as consultants across the entire system, of course. No doubt disappeared in the early stages of privatisation.

And in the late '80s, the Southern Civil Engineer employed a firm (called Can?) to spray concrete on the cliffs west of Brighton station.

In the same era there was a consultant's study on the White Cliffs of Dover, which concluded it was, despite de-watering and other measures, inevitable that they would fall down at some stage to the extent of rendering the railway impassable. A wag suggested that instead of taking the precautionary measures, they should invest the money with Joe Coral at long odds, knowing when it happened there would be a big win to pay for remedial works!

In BR days there was a geotechnics group at Derby I think, acting as consultants across the entire system, of course. No doubt disappeared in the early stages of privatisation.

And in the late '80s, the Southern Civil Engineer employed a firm (called Can?) to spray concrete on the cliffs west of Brighton station.

In the same era there was a consultant's study on the White Cliffs of Dover, which concluded it was, despite de-watering and other measures, inevitable that they would fall down at some stage to the extent of rendering the railway impassable. A wag suggested that instead of taking the precautionary measures, they should invest the money with Joe Coral at long odds, knowing when it happened there would be a big win to pay for remedial works!

There used to be a Mk 1 coach that lived on the siding at Folkestone Warren branded 'Soil Mechanics' which presumably served as accommodation for the geotechnicians. There was a very big fall during WW1, which severed the line between Dover and Folkestone for a considerable time.

In recent years, Network Rail has contracted out geotechnical services; brother-in-law covered the Bristol- Swindon- Gloucester area for a while.