Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

The compressors are electric, but without air the train cannot move so you have a choice: a noisy, moving train or a silent, stationary one. It also takes a LONG time to exhaust all the air from the main reservoir, it's stored at up to 140 PSI in a large tank and would take forever to exhaust through the horn. It's not as if you can switch off the compressor and the horn would stop instantly.

Andi

Getting further off topic, but maybe worth noting that the HSTs have a unique set of airhorns developed by SSD in conjunction with the then BREL. They are cranked through 90 degrees rather than being straight like the more common KS1/KS2 airchimes - developed from a shipping horn and louder at the time as it was perceived that the faster trains would need a louder horn. Mounted between the lighting clusters behind the driver's desk I can only imaging the vibration and noise the driver must have had to put up with with one stuck on, it was bad enough in a sound proof room with ear defenders on when we were testing them!

• RMweb Premium

Mention of the Reading Flyover works reminded me that I went past at half term and tried to estimate the total value of the plant employed there. I gave up when I reached 'mind-boggling'. I've never seen so many 360o machines in one area before, never mind dumpers, generators etc as well.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Mention of the Reading Flyover works reminded me that I went past at half term and tried to estimate the total value of the plant employed there. I gave up when I reached 'mind-boggling'. I've never seen so many 360o machines in one area before, never mind dumpers, generators etc as well.

Pete

The biggest cranes have now gone, it's down to a lot more 'not quite so big' cranes than there were plus no doubt more than one big red spidery thing as they are currently pumping concrete in several locations.  Meanwhile for those into big spidery things I phot'd a blue one in Norway last week, pumping concrete into a sea wall! 

• Like 1

Sadly I must inform readers of the demise of the yellow cagey type ro-rail thingy recently used forc transporting orange army and pasties.

Sometime yesterday it was taking from us and no longer resides in Teignmouth rear yard.

Probably all available staff employed at Dawlish??????

My thought was that in the period of inactivity you can work without having to stop to avoid trains and passengers and therefore less HSE precautions.

My thought was that in the period of inactivity you can work without having to stop to avoid trains and passengers and therefore less HSE precautions.

But you do have a finite number of skilled staff - and they've also undertaken major work at Penzance, Newton Abbott, Somerset ...

• RMweb Premium

The compressors are electric, but without air the train cannot move so you have a choice: a noisy, moving train or a silent, stationary one. It also takes a LONG time to exhaust all the air from the main reservoir, it's stored at up to 140 PSI in a large tank and would take forever to exhaust through the horn. It's not as if you can switch off the compressor and the horn would stop instantly.

Andi

If they are electrically powered then they might still need a "sparky" when rectifying any faults, which was one of the original comments posted here (not by me)!

Keith

OK, 

can someone enlighten me - why was this showing a headcode of 287C in the Train Describer?

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

cheers

I imagine this has got something to do with the TRUST code, although it's unusual to see it used for passenger trains; it normally only happens with freight. 

For example, from the Euxton Jct page, this freight is running as 493Z, which is part of the TRUST ID: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H90828/2014/04/09/advanced

Which train is in the picture, so we can see what's happened to the TRUST code on the RTT page?

It also takes a LONG time to exhaust all the air from the main reservoir, it's stored at up to 140 PSI in a large tank and would take forever to exhaust through the horn. It's not as if you can switch off the compressor and the horn would stop instantly.

The main res tank can be dumped, but then nothing else would work, not least brakes. Having dumped my broken Crompton in Three Bridges yard, handbrakes were applied at both ends and then the whole tank was dumped, silencing the horn. There is definitely no fuse or electrical system marked "horn", it's entirely air-powered. Air goes in, noise comes out.

• RMweb Premium

In most (but apparently not all) modern stock, a cock is provided to close off the air supply to the horns, for just such a case. Unfortunately it's often located in an inaccessible position next to the horns themselves :rolleyes:

The horn isolating cock.

Make of that what you will ;)

I imagine this has got something to do with the TRUST code, although it's unusual to see it used for passenger trains; it normally only happens with freight. 

For example, from the Euxton Jct page, this freight is running as 493Z, which is part of the TRUST ID: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H90828/2014/04/09/advanced

Which train is in the picture, so we can see what's happened to the TRUST code on the RTT page?

If it was captured just prior to posting

it would probably just left  Dawlish Warren  12.24

Edit;-

Exmouth - Paignton train??

Edited by Granitechops

If we do then we lose the continuity of the information. Keep it all in one place.

As this thread is now 110 pages long, and just a bit unwieldy is it time to start a suisidiary one like "Dawlish after the celebrations" or whatever as I am sure there are lots more repairs ongoing that people are interested in reporting/commenting on

I used to use the now defunct BBC genealogy website and they used to have a 'pub' thread. It was closed after so many postings or so many pages and a new pub would open. The pub was used for trivial chit chat and I believe similar threads exist on here.

We could do similar on here to this subject. I guess the interest will wane after the road repair is done, the wall has been finished, the containers gone etc etc and finally the webcam removed. As the thread is quite lengthy it may be a good idea to change. As Coombe Barton says we will lose the continuity. But we can still refer to it, we wont lose the thread name.

We could have 'The Kernow Arms' or 'The Orangeers' or summat and use it for the Dawlish chat until interest expires.

I used to use the now defunct BBC genealogy website and they used to have a 'pub' thread. It was closed after so many postings or so many pages and a new pub would open. The pub was used for trivial chit chat and I believe similar threads exist on here.

We could do similar on here to this subject. I guess the interest will wane after the road repair is done, the wall has been finished, the containers gone etc etc and finally the webcam removed. As the thread is quite lengthy it may be a good idea to change. As Coombe Barton says we will lose the continuity. But we can still refer to it, we wont lose the thread name.

We could have 'The Kernow Arms' or 'The Orangeers' or summat and use it for the Dawlish chat until interest expires.

It ain't broke so don't fix it.

At about 2am this morning (9th) I saw what looked like r/r excavator passing on the Dawlish live webcam, heading in the Plymouth direction. Bit of a job to see on the grainy image, but there seemed to be an empty  platform in front and one behind.