Washout at Dawlish

When Avoncliff was a request stop, the system seemed to be that the driver stopped the train unless the guard had arrived in the meantime to tell him not to. 

Down here the driver gets a ding-ding on the buzzer (IIRC) on approach to tell him not to stop, but if the chaps hadn't told the guard they wanted to get off then that's what he would have done...

• RMweb Premium

Train!

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

looks a bit choppy out there, wouldn't want to be out in a "little dingy" today :lol:

Repair seems to be holding up then ;)

When Avoncliff was a request stop, the system seemed to be that the driver stopped the train unless the guard had arrived in the meantime to tell him not to. 

Despite anything the Rule Book might tell you local crews often adopted their own version for individual lines / stations.  My experience of the Heart of Wales is that the conductor advises the driver on leaving the previous mandatory stop of any requests, updated if required as more passengers board, and otherwise the train approaches, toots, and if no-one appears on the platform it rolls on through.  The onus is always on the passenger to advise the guard (or conductor) of their need to alight at a request stop.  Much farther north I once boarded (along with the bicycle) at Georgemas bound for Kinbrace.  I advised the guard of my destination who sent me to see the driver (loco-hauled trains at that time so the guard couldn't walk through) who simply responded "Aye" with a bemused smile wondering perhaps why a cyclist might want to be set down in the evening at such a remote spot.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So they are not for putting in track pins then!!

Under the command of Captain Kernow they are the devices operated by Lieutenant Pandrol Clip-Belter and his associates

Edited by Gwiwer

Guest Belgian

Repair seems to be holding up then ;)

Despite anything the Rule Book might tell you local crews often adopted their own version for individual lines / stations.  My experience of the Heart of Wales is that the conductor advises the driver on leaving the previous mandatory stop of any requests, updated if required as more passengers board, and otherwise the train approaches, toots, and if no-one appears on the platform it rolls on through.  The onus is always on the passenger to advise the guard (or conductor) of their need to alight at a request stop.  Much farther north I once boarded (along with the bicycle) at Georgemas bound for Kinbrace.  I advised the guard of my destination who sent me to see the driver (loco-hauled trains at that time so the guard couldn't walk through) who simply responded "Aye" with a bemused smile wondering perhaps why a cyclist might want to be set down in the evening at such a remote spot.

Me too - why?!!!!! :jester:

I've heard that Sir Nigel Gresley will be the first chartered locomotive to travel along the Dawlish route on the 10th April, can anyone confirm this?

• RMweb Premium

I've heard that Sir Nigel Gresley will be the first chartered locomotive to travel along the Dawlish route on the 10th April, can anyone confirm this?

That's right. I was speaking to one of the support crew earlier on. A little thing to remember for them in years to come. :)

• RMweb Premium
I believe you are correct. There is certainly a steam charter to Kingswear this Thursday.[/quot

I cant access the Steam Dreams website for the times. Does anyone have the passing times please?

Presumably this is it?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53078/2014/04/10/advanced

And return:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53079/2014/04/10/advanced

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Yes, these times correspond to the published Notice for this train.

"Diesel locomotive" listed both ways.  Down working timed for 95mph max and up for 75mph.   Streak to mysteriously replace diesel and authorised for 95mph??? 

Most likely is diesel down and steam up?

Well both pages state "Diesel trailling"

Thunderbirds on hand? in case of failure?

more interesting is "Load"  down is 455 tonnes

"Load" back is 420 tonnes

so is that 35 tonnes of coal used on trip down?

assuming those weights are at start of each leg of trip

Think this one's still updating

http://lobstervision.s3.amazonaws.com/image/30e4364e_832x468.jpg

at least the weather's better than the stuck image from yesterday on t'other camera ....

That cam usually updates every 10-15 mins

When viewed by the Networkrail web page

But that is the same pic ( same wave formation )

that I recorded at 19.58 last night,

might have been there from earlier as I was out most of yesterday,

but thought I recognised the wave from earlier view in the day ( which I did not record)

Ps. 

some may think it sad,

being in front of the internet screen so much

But I suffer from Chronic fatigue, & having done three longish trips over the last 3 days plus

the excitement of being in Dawlish on Friday,

I am now more than ususally clapped out

so siitting in front of my large screen viewing

from the comfort of my settee 7 foot away is one way of recouping my resources

Edited by Granitechops

The realtimetrains timings might state "diesel", but so do the timings for all steam excursions. You have to regard them as the closest available "set of timings" suitable for the working. The load is also a "timing load" (think that's the right term) and won't necessarily equate to the all-up weight of the train.

Even track machine workings sometimes appear in the system with a timing for "diesel loco plus X tons".

Edited by eastwestdivide