Washout at Dawlish

May I re-iterate what AngryMeerkat has posted.

Having travelled to Newton Abbot on Sunday using both rail and coach for a round trip ( I live on the Tarka Line in mid Devon ) to a rail fair at the racecourse, I took great delight in watching the way that both rail and coach staff were doing their utmost to make the current unfortunate situation as painless as they could. Since taking retirement (YES!!) I have ditched the car and use the railways on a frequent basis throughout Devon and Cornwall, and having left a "stressy" position ( I don't do stress by the way) I could not help but observe the road users frustration, especially through a bottle neck at Teignmouth. Do I miss driving NO, do I miss my journey along the sea wall when travelling to Cornwall.........YES ! With a passion.

Thank you to all rail staff from the tea room to the sea front construction gangs for being human ( and biting you tongue when necessary , yes I've seen your frustrations) Thank You.

• Like 9

There's a nice writeup of the efforts to date in the Guardian today:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/mar/10/rush-repair-hole-dawlish-train-line-network-rail

Fantastic work by all involved! And thanks to Captain Kernow for the fascinating and detailed updates.

Marcus.

I couldn't link from the 'States. Did the Grauniad call him "Colonel Wonker" or similar? I think us colonials should be told...

Best, Pete.

This wall breach appears to be one of the most serious, since both lines have been undermined.

Recent news http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26044323 shows the properties at Sea Lawn terrace are being affected.

In the February 1986 breach at Teignmouth (near Parson's Tunnel), the up main remained viable (but closed, except for a few emergency clay trains).

Following this a long term plan to build new wall foundations involved machinery being moved from Sprey Point along the beach between every high tide, a very slow job.

The viaduct at Smuggler's Cove (just west of the tunnel) was built following the 1855 breach, this and 1872/3 are apaprently the only instances of major loss of the wall itself (rather than of the fill behind it).

Can any one remember how long this 1986-87 work took?

At Dawlish, the section which has collapsed today is the Sea lawn gap, with the walkway at sea level (apparently to prevent people looking in the windows of Sea Lawn Terrace). "Rails Along the Sea Wall" (Platform 5, 1990) informs that this section was breached in 1930.   Immediately south, the high level part until the breakwater was rebuilt in 1869.   North of the sea lawn gap to and just after Rockstone footbridge was rebuilt in 1872/3.    The photo on p51 shows the wall masonry washed onto the beach.

The earlier post showing loss of sand cover and exposure of stepped footings below the walkway suggest a much lower beach level today, which is going to make rebuilding much more difficult that from the wide beach at Teignmouth in 1986.

A couple of observations.

1. How on earth did I miss 67 pages of commentary on the very compelling topic of a major breach of the sea wall at Dawlish? (I guess I have been busy last month and there's no way I will catch up with all of it. Hopefully I won't say anything too redundant.)

2. Of course this has happened before and will happen again. I did find this list:

1846 Sea breaches line near Breeches Rock

1855 Sea breaches line at Smugglers’ Lane

1869 Sea breaches line at Sea Lawn

1872 Sea breaches line at Rockstone

1930 Sea breaches line at Sea Lawn

1986 Sea breaches line West of Smugglers’ Lane

The 1855 breach seems to have been the worst, but it does show Sea Lawn being a popular spot for the sea to break through. Has anyone pin-pointed on a map exactly where the primary breach is? (I think I have a pretty good rough idea.)

3. Each time before it has made sense to fix the wall, that choice being far cheaper than a diversion.

It's a pretty impressive response, I must say.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Ok guys we've finished the base boards .......... wheres the peco track......finescale or code 100... anyone ordered it ............. Yes I've put the bus wire in just got to put the droppers in

Code 75 this time, or stick with code 100? Decisions, decisions...

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

The fewer seas in Dawlish the better, it would seem ;)

Better d-sea you know than a-sea you don't

Edit: Duplication removed

Edited by rab

There's a nice writeup of the efforts to date in the Guardian today:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/mar/10/rush-repair-hole-dawlish-train-line-network-rail

Fantastic work by all involved! And thanks to Captain Kernow for the fascinating and detailed updates.

The piece in the newspaper (omitted from the website) says that the the line is due to reopen in early April thanks to teamwork and clever engineering - thought they'd gone all Hornby for a minute with their design clever...

Mal

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tonights Spotlight news had a piece on the possible reopening of the withered arm route around Okehampton including some archive footage. I had a look on the BBC website but was unable to find any reference's to it, so that I could post a link.

Tomorrow night they are doing a bit on the Teign Valley line and I think there will be a bit on the GW diversions on Thursday night.

SS

• Like 1

I have just returned from a couple of days at Dawlish Warren.

Mrs Rivercider was there over the weekend, she said that on sunday in the sunshine the eastern carpark and seafront bars at Dawlish Warren were absolutely packed.

On monday we walked from Dawlish Warren into Dawlish via the inland diversionary route (the coast path route along the clifftop).

I knew the repair was a big job, but it was not until we had walked around the western carpark at Dawlish Warren, which is full of stores, containers, vehicles and equipment. Then past Dawlish Station with the car park there also full, did it become just how large it all is. It is like an entire community has sprung up to support the worksite.

On return home I have just read through the most recent pages of this thread and noted the interest in the 'L' shaped concrete sections. I have seen the Good Captains excellent photographic record of the recent works. I took a few shots from up on the coast path above the station at Dawlish, I hope they are of interest. Pictures taken on monday 10/3/14

post-7081-0-74855500-1394571199.jpg

post-7081-0-65585800-1394571220_thumb.jpg

post-7081-0-70054000-1394571249.jpg

post-7081-0-03690000-1394571276.jpg

post-7081-0-53500100-1394571298.jpg

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Ok guys we've finished the base boards .......... wheres the peco track......finescale or code 100... anyone ordered it ............. Yes I've put the bus wire in just got to put the droppers in

Are we going back to broad gauge or sticking with narrow?

Keith

• Like 1

Are we going back to broad gauge or sticking with narrow?

Keith

I remember talking to a track engineer who told me he and his gang had just been knocking the gauge of part of the GWML out by quarter of an inch or so. He said they were gradually working towards broad gauge little by little in the hope that nobody would notice.... 

What is going to happen to the wall that is front of  the road as nothing has been done yet to start building this up and most likely this will have to be done before the line is reopened.

Was it a fence before?

From Network Rail.

Aerial view of work site. (back on 27th Feb.)

Pre-Cast Concrete sections at close quarters.

,,,and again

Monday 10 March

Work has started to restore the station canopies while replacing the platform coping stones nears completion.

New sleepers are being installed between Dawlish Warren and the main breach site, and work is underway to remove the slip material between Kennaway Tunnel and Teignmouth station.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a an hour spare in Dawlish today in between picking up 10 tons of scrap rail to remove to Newton Abbot so the opportunity was seized to have a quick look at proceedings.

Now, one thing that really struck me was the security in actually getting to the main breach site.

Its very clear that for all intents and purposes, this is not a railway construction site at the moment, I was informed its a "street construction" site.

Despite this, the main contractor still uses E'S's and COSS's. Strange street.......... :scratchhead:

First off you'll walk through a gate and into the first cabin where I was 'inducted'. This happens to any new entrant to the site that's controlled by Amco staff. Even though I was in my full NR 'dress code', every one is inducted.

You put your name in the book, time in, where you came from, whom you work for and Sentinal card number.

You then get a little sticker on your hard hat to say you've been inducted!

After that you walk 20 yards before entering another cabin with a white board inside. Here, you do all that again that you did in the first cabin, save perhaps where you travelled from and Sentinal number.

You then go through to passport control**.

Im bloody sure they must be making gold bars in this place although I didn't spot any whilst I was there!

First thing I came to was some guys from my unit in Plymouth finishing up changing some concrete sleepers.

Pic shows them 'Kango-ing up' basicly hardening in with petrol driven hammers.

post-299-0-29728100-1394642467_thumb.jpg

Im now standing directly above the 'six-foot' rail of the Up looking towards Exeter.

post-299-0-76555400-1394642506_thumb.jpg

One thing that really does strike you here is the vast scale of the whole thing.

I would say that the tops of the L-sections will be the top of the finished wall eventiually.

post-299-0-42845400-1394642791_thumb.jpg

There's a lot of cables there! These new cables have been run in over 100's of metres.

I reckon the concrete pump will be used again once the L-sections are completed.

post-299-0-66919700-1394643006_thumb.jpg

If you look to the Amco banner in the background, you'll see a couple of concrete barrier sections, those two sections are sat on top of what is track level.

post-299-0-63051000-1394643158_thumb.jpg

If you look just up from centre in this image, you can see the electric meter box of one of the houses. Just to see how close these houses were to being in the sea!post-299-0-96107500-1394643246_thumb.jpg

L-section fastenings.

Stainless steel ofcourse.

post-299-0-66948800-1394643441_thumb.jpg

The L-sections are very substantial indeed.

The 360 driver on site I spoke to said they are 4.3 (metric)  tons each!

This one is pictured lying on its side.

post-299-0-17971700-1394643555_thumb.jpg

On the walk back to the station some good progress was being made on the platform repair.

A lot of wood work involved here by the looks of it.

post-299-0-40643100-1394643719_thumb.jpg

Anyway, that's all from me!

Im back there again tomorrow to take away the 30 concrete sleepers our guys have changed out.

I don't think I'l be going back in to the main breach site again though, atleast not until they give us the go ahead to reinstall the track which should be happening 7th of April I think. That will be a 24 hour operation, around the clock until its all in.

One thing that made me smile was that the free burgers etc have actually gone to £1 each. All the money will go to charity and its into thousands already, what a great idea!! :sungum:

**The bit about passport control was a gag! But its abit like that! ;)

• Like 7