Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

There isn't a button good enough for that set of pictures.  Great pictures showing some fabulous work.  Thanks very much for posting them.

Jamie

Agreed, but I'd be asking for a refund for those dodgy containers. A couple of weeks in a bit of water & they're useless!

• RMweb Premium

Nah; I don't think you'll get the deposit back on those containers.

What a truly remarkable effort it's been from all of the team. :)

Even SWMBO was impressed when I showed her the photos of the buckled containers. 

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Even SWMBO was impressed when I showed her the photos of the buckled containers. 

Jamie

It's not just the sea that has done the damage. They've had big holes cut in the top and been massively overloaded with stuff they aren't designed to carry!

However, their use as "instant gabions" in creating a makeshift breakwater is inspired and, most importantly, it looks like they'll last long enough to get the job finished.

John

• Like 1

It's not just the sea that has done the damage. They've had big holes cut in the top and been massively overloaded with stuff they aren't designed to carry!

When they're finished with them, they could probably sell them to the Tate Modern, as an installation art piece.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When they're finished with them, they could probably sell them to the Tate Modern, as an installation art piece.

Or have them converted into limited edition models ........... ;)

Or have them converted into limited edition models ........... ;)

Soon to be found on ebay, "Mint in box" (assuming someone's dropped their Polo wrapper in one of them).

Sorry, back on topic... I'm sure a body like the engineering employers federation could capitalise on the goodwill towards (or hero worship of) the people on the ground, here and elsewhere over the last few months, to encourage people into that career path.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
kevinlms, on 05 Mar 2014 - 22:17, said:kevinlms, on 05 Mar 2014 - 22:17, said:

Agreed, but I'd be asking for a refund for those dodgy containers. A couple of weeks in a bit of water & they're useless!

*cough* I think we may have voided any warranty looking at their current use and "slight modifications"! :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Gold

On a related note - a poster clearly displayed at Reading today apologising for the problems at Dawlish and explaining that trains to Exeter are running in accordance with the Whiteball Tunnel closure period timetable and trains from Bristol & the north are terminating at Taunton in accordance with the Whiteball Tunnel closure period timetable.

It really is a pity that some parts of the railway - alas in a very public place - are letting down the efforts of other parts.  The only giveaway is that the notice, a full colour print job, is dated 6 February.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Passed 43004 travelling South this lunchtime on the A38, I was driving to Exeter.

Outstanding work from NR colleagues on this forum and others. My business trips to London will be much better soon!

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off-topic - I saw a 56 on a log train being loaded in Exeter Riverside yard today, wasn't aware of this happening before. Do does anyone have any further info - is it a temporary run instead of Heathfield while the Dawlish line is repaired?

(I've posted this in "big jim's by the tracks with Colas" thread as well)

Edited by Ramblin Rich

Passed 43004 travelling South this lunchtime on the A38, I was driving to Exeter.

Outstanding work from NR colleagues on this forum and others. My business trips to London will be much better soon!

Neil

Ah so that's where it was off to, I saw it on the M4 at Swindon

Neil

An HST on the Ashburton branch!

• Like 1