Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

I haven't had time to read from pages 26 - 31 since I came back in this evening, as it's been pretty busy work-wise, but 11 containers are now in place in front of the Dawlish sea wall breach, enabling the teams there to get on with the repairs in earnest. Apparently the local residents in Sea Lawn Terrace had been getting hoards of 'rubber neckers' invading their road, and were getting pretty disgruntled, so with their agreement, we have arranged for private security staff to guard the entrances, footpaths etc. and only let residents and other authorised persons in. The residents are really pleased with this arrangement now! It got so bad at one point that 'scuffles' were reported.

Also, our route proving loco successfully ran from Taunton to Exeter Riverside and back, twice, today, to ensure the rail heads were polished (it worked pretty well, in fact). Coupled with the fact that we look set to reopen the Athelney line tomorrow, possibly with temporary block working initially (aka 'ticket working), following a herculean effort by colleagues on Saturday night and today, the situation is looking a tiny bit brighter at the moment.

Sorry, no photos tonight, as I can't currently upload them from my work laptop for some (probably) soft-ware related reason, and it's too late to turn my home PC on now, so I'll try to do that tomorrow (and perhaps read the missing pages of discussion!).

Nite nite!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I imagine I've missed the Captain as he'll have crashed out - deservedly - but that is some good news regarding Exeter - Taunton & beyond being back in business.

The passengers moaning on BBC news should go and see the NR chaps working to provide a railway for them to travel on,typical reporting by the BBC as well they have been useless compared to SKY .

I thought the interviewees were fairly sanguine about it - annoyed but understanding the problems. Anyway, can't compare to SKY as I avoid anything to do with Murdoch if possible (oh dear, probably setting off another off-topic rantfest here!!)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

They look as though they might be 20' top-loaders; similar ones work from France to Cadoxton, near Barry. Nice bit of lateral thinking.

The clip linked to in post 756 seems to show ordinary 20ft boxes with holes cut in the top.

Andi

Thanks again to Captain Kernow and all the guys and girls working their socks off to get the railway running again.

The only balance reporting seems to be that from Ben Ando from the flooded railway lines (not train tracks)...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again to Captain Kernow and all the guys and girls working their socks off to get the railway running again.

The only balance reporting seems to be that from Ben Ando from the flooded railway lines (not train tracks)...

I would expect nothing less from one of our members :)

Andi

• RMweb Premium

I haven't had time to read from pages 26 - 31 since I came back in this evening

In some respects you haven't missed a lot ..... ;)

Also, our route proving loco successfully ran from Taunton to Exeter Riverside and back, twice, today, to ensure the rail heads were polished (it worked pretty well, in fact). Coupled with the fact that we look set to reopen the Athelney line tomorrow, possibly with temporary block working initially (aka 'ticket working), following a herculean effort by colleagues on Saturday night and today, the situation is looking a tiny bit brighter at the moment.

Sometimes clicking the "Thanks" button seems so woefully inadequate.

So does the comment that everyone concerned is just "doing their job".

When this is all over if there is an award for meritorious services to the railway I can think of some teams out there in atrocious and very challenging conditions working long hours at locations from Bristol and Westbury down to Penzance "just doing their jobs" trying to get things moving again who would be most deserving of such.

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Gold

The Whitebal blockade was handed back just over 3 hours early this morning, at 0151 hrs, with the Athelney route open. 2M01, the 0600 Exeter to Taunton local service ran through OK and got to Taunton on time - followed by 1A75 0636 Exeter to Paddington HST.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

BBC carries this item this morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26110559

Thanks Debs - I shall do a bit of 'digging' later on to find out a bit more...

The BBC item is worded -

A possible alternative railway route to the storm-stricken Dawlish line has been identified by senior rail planners, BBC News can reveal.

What with the photo of the overgrown Shillamill Tunnel, it brings to mind intrepid NR jungle explorers in khaki shorts and pith helmets, battling their way through a long-forgotten land and discovering this old route that no one previously knew about!!

• Like 2

A possible alternative railway route to the storm-stricken Dawlish line has been identified by senior rail planners, BBC News can reveal.

What with the photo of the overgrown Shillamill Tunnel, it brings to mind intrepid NR jungle explorers in khaki shorts and pith helmets, battling their way through a long-forgotten land and discovering this old route that no one previously knew about!!

Doctor Kernow, I presume...? Sorry... "Captain"...

• Like 1

"The plans are thought to be at a very early stage..,..This railway line would go through part of Dartmoor National Park. It is going to be an interesting debate."

Nothing like flying a kite, cue for bunny huggers to veto it. was the piece written by Polly Filla and Philip Space late of Private Eye? 

• RMweb Premium

This railway line would go through part of Dartmoor National Park. It is going to be an interesting debate."

Marginally less interesting, perhaps, than that which took place when the A30 Okehampton by-pass was cut through part of Dartmoor.  The rail route has been there for longer than anyone alive today.  It's not as if huge swathes of the moor would be dug up or defiled.  In stark contrast to the A30.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Debs - I shall do a bit of 'digging' later on to find out a bit more...

The BBC item is worded -

For information only: Capt'n you may not have had the time to notice that 'diversion discussion' is not for this thread now (Modded). I know you wouldn't go into this territory but others might not have noted that either.

The very best to you and colleagues today and top scores all round for the obvious  community engagement that is going on down there. :imsohappy:

Phil

• Like 1

For information only: Capt'n you may not have had the time to notice that 'diversion discussion' is not for this thread now (Modded). I know you wouldn't go into this territory but others might not have noted that either.

Phil

So ending a very interesting thread.

Keith

Thanks for raising this, but what I actually said was

I don't think any further speculation on what will happen in the future is merited

Which referred, possibly too covertly, to endless uninformed speculation. Perhaps I should have made that clearer, although it's the same message we have to keep using in topics on level crossing accidents etc, i.e. wait for some facts to arise.

What we now seem to have is a news item suggesting that NR favour one out of three possible options (which have all been done to death on here) as a potential diversionary route. Captain Kernow has kindly offered to try and find out more about this, and no doubt will report back. There may well be material in that to discuss, based on facts, but please no more "well in my opinion I still think the 1930s scheme is better".

So ending a very interesting thread.

Hopefully we respond to changing circumstances, would you have us do otherwise?

• RMweb Premium

Which referred, possibly too covertly, to endless uninformed speculation. Perhaps I should have made that clearer, although it's the same message we have to keep using in topics on level crossing accidents etc, i.e. wait for some facts to arise.

What we now seem to have is a news item suggesting that NR favour one out of three possible options (which have all been done to death on here) as a potential diversionary route. Captain Kernow has kindly offered to try and find out more about this, and no doubt will report back. There may well be material in that to discuss, based on facts, but please no more "well in my opinion I still think the 1930s scheme is better".

Yes. I totally agree and apologise for misinterpreting your guidance.

P

What circumstances have changed.?  K.

What circumstances have changed.?  K.

Instead of all of us speculating, it appears from the BBC item - published after my previous post - that someone high up in Network Rail (i.e. someone who should know) has at least confirmed which of three possible diversionary routes are officially favoured. Whether this is old or new we should wait and see. It may or may not change anything.

I would hope that members posting to this topic can exercise some common sense on what is old, new, fact, speculation, relevant, OT.

• RMweb Gold

The BBC link gives us a promising insight to an important stakeholder's attitude:

'Bill Hitchins, chairman of Dartmoor National Park Authority, said: "We have not seen any kind of proposal to discuss, much less vote on.

"I'm sure we would be only too pleased to be involved in any discussions.

"Personally, I have always felt that it (the line) should not have been closed, and it should not have been developed in the way it has been developed."'

Whether the future sees a diversionary route, the main route, or just the proposed extension from Bere Alston to Tavistock, it is clear that rail is regarded as "green", which puts this chap ahead of nimbies worldwide.

• Like 6