Melyn Valley Railway

Andrew Young

That van looks the bees knees Mr Young - very very nice.

Nice photos too - the lamb looks rather tasty!

Thanks Neil, will bring the carriages along to a meet once I've finished them.

The lamb was very tasty! After eight hours in the Smokebox, it fell apart, the shoulder blade just sliding out. Bought from the butcher in Tywyn and reared locally, the food miles were less than one for the raising and thirty for cooking!

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

My modelling mojo has well and truly returned now. Between shifts this last week or two, the carriages have been primed (Halfords Red Oxide rattle can), followed by a couple of coats of the same VW red rattle can that the Selsey carriage was painted and the open third has received some cream panelling too. Now that I've wandered across the road to Tutbury Models, I now have fresh supplies of Humbrol tan paint for painting the droplights. There's still plenty of painting to be done, but little and often is the order of the day.

post-11098-0-17575600-1475930668_thumb.jpg

There has also been another narrow gauge diversion....

I'm not quite sure what exact form the Upper Melyn Tramway will take, other than bringing granite, slate and timber down to the standard gauge and delivering coal and sundry supplies in return, but ideas are forming in my mind. Whilst there will be a heavy Kerr Stuart bias in the loco roster, I fancied an elderly Fletcher Jennings as the initial motive power for the line, still wheezing away in old age in the 1920s.

Wanting something different to the Talyllyn or Dolgoch seen on a number of layouts. Many months ago, I embarked on a project which yesterday turned into something real for the first time with the arrival of a parcel.

The project is a 3D printed model of 'Townsend Hook', comprising a main body, with separate smokebox door, firebox and cab roof. A straight, square and pretty accurate canvas to which I can add as much detail as I want. All designed to fit on a modified Branchlines 'Talyllyn' chassis.

There are a couple of compromises to make a 3ft 2 3/4in gauge loco fit on a chassis that's 16.5mm gauge, though remarkably few. The chassis is the correct wheelbase and wheel diameter, the main compromise here being that 'Talyllyn' is a double slide bar loco, whereas 'Townsend Hook' is a single slidebar loco. But that's a compromise I'm willing to take.

To achieve a reasonable price for the print, I'm having four made, with three friends paying for the other three to help me out.

The photos show the parts straight from the box placed on the Talyllyn chassis not having had any work on the surface finish, which I reckon is pretty good for a 3D printed model.

post-11098-0-28330700-1475931277_thumb.jpg

This one shows the component parts.

post-11098-0-80476100-1475931322_thumb.jpg

I'll start a separate thread in the narrow gauge section for the build, but I'm expecting to carry out painting the carriages alongside the completion of the FJ build.

My intention was to use 3D printing as an aid to my own scratch building and producing some of the parts that would be more difficult for me to scratch build. Once I've built mine, my intention is that should others want a 3D print to aid them in their scratch building then I would make it available.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

That colour does suit the coaches very nicely Andrew - will have to investigate some Humbrol tan for the drop lights on my coaches as that looks rather nice. 

Looking forward to further progress on Townsend Hook too. 

Edited by NeilHB

That colour does suit the coaches very nicely Andrew - will have to investigate some Humbrol tan for the drop lights on my coaches as that looks rather nice.

Looking forward to further progress on Townsend Hook too.

Thanks Neil, I wanted a brownish red and thankfully, my first car was just such a colour! Although the tin says best applied over grey primer, I've applied over red oxide primer to enhance the browner hues as sometimes dark reds can have a pinkish hue.

The tan isn't overly prototypical I suspect, but it gives some welcome relief to the main body colour.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young

Thanks Neil, I wanted a brownish red and thankfully, my first car was just such a colour! Although the tin says best applied over grey primer, I've applied over red oxide primer to enhance the browner hues as sometimes dark reds can have a pinkish hue.

The tan isn't overly prototypical I suspect, but it gives some welcome relief to the main body colour.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Andrew

16114003699_b8c14c72c3_z.jpg100_0672 by Phil Traxson, on Flickr

Andy

Your tan is as close to these varnished droplights as you are going to get. Despite what the rivet counters say you can't see wood grain at 1/43rd  full size. 

Phil T.

PS  For the benefit of others click on the photo and it will take you to my flickr album with these on and four F.R. Coaches and three different colours of droplights between them. 

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 3

Thanks Phil. After posting that comment I'd been wondering where I'd got the idea to paint drop lights tan from, think it must've been you!

Agreed about tan being a good match for varnished wood, it's the colour I paint the insides of carriages too.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Painting the four carriages in one go seemed a great idea, until getting the brushes out and it has seemed like a never ending task..... Not helped by several distractions in October, including three consecutive weekends in Wales. However, pleased to say that all the main bodywork painting is complete.

post-11098-0-07721500-1478715981.jpeg

Next job is transfers.....

Still a way to go yet, there are some fittings still to paint up / chemically blacken before a quick spray of dulcoat and on to the weathering. Then I suspect the carriages will be finished off one at a time with glazing and a scattering of passengers. Plus two of them need a roof and seats making.

Thankfully, November's diary is looking a lot clearer....

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 8

Very nice Mr Young, very nice indeed!

Neil

Thanks Neil. Transfers were applied yesterday evening and a waft of Dulcote was put over them this morning. Left them in the airing cupboard whilst I went to work so will see how they've come out in the morning.

Cheers,

Andrew

Some iPhone photos showing the carriages with transfers applied. The transfer backing shows up more on the photos than they do on the models. Shall have to see whether I can improve that with weathering.

Shall take some photos with the proper camera once the carriages are finished.

post-11098-0-79074900-1478858841_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-99327000-1478858856_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-90354900-1478858875_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-62172800-1478858890_thumb.jpeg

It is thought that the luggage van was a later addition to the fleet, it's not air brakes for a start and is understood to have been purchased to act as a parcels and goods van to run on the goods services. So there's a deliberate gap in numbers in case of future additions to the carriage fleet.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 5

Distractions.

I did mention that October was full of distractions, namely three successive weekends in Tywyn for some last driving of the season, a Council meeting and our annual fireworks party. Does mean I get to spend plenty of time in Mid Wales in Autumn, my favourite season. Hopefully, when the MVR eventually gets to the stage of being developed scenically, I'll have a stab at modelling the place in Autumn.

Had a couple of days driving No 6.

30374455136_400ced519e_z.jpgRed Meadow by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Including a spot of Cowboy driving....

30113474930_68717950f6_z.jpgCowboy Crew by Andrew Young, on Flickr

My last turn of the season was a charter for some filming work, resulting in driving this fine array of vintage wreckage! A suitable end to a very enjoyable season.

30293878822_74bd5f748b_z.jpgMeals on Wheels by Andrew Young, on Flickr

The trip for the Council was a very long day trip, so varied the route a little and drove via the Tanat Valley. Stopped to look at the very rusty rails at Porthywain.

30219153620_60d1ed6f38_z.jpgTrains No More by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Plus time to enjoy the autumnal colours at Talyllyn.

30219078030_d79d9b2df0_z.jpgTalyllyn Autumn by Andrew Young, on Flickr

There's also been plenty of work to distract me, including twelve days of action packed diversions via Kidderminster and the land that time forgot.

30572992382_766fb460d9_z.jpgStopped by Signals by Andrew Young, on Flickr

November has a much quieter diary, the only distraction so far being fireworks at Klondyke Mill, only ten minutes drive down the road.

30610615370_9fe1b558c6_z.jpgKlondyke By Night by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Now back to the modelling desk...

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 5

You've been having fun again. It that picture of the autumn colours taken near the lake? Nice pictures.

Don

Yes Don, lots of fun! But has hampered modelling time though... The photo is taken just above the lake, between the car park and the Cader Idris visitor centre / cafe adjacent to the road junction and Minffordd Hotel at the base of the path up Cader.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Over a month since an update, but slow progress has been made with the carriages. Have come to the conclusion that a) building four carriages at once wasn't the best idea- there's a heck of a lot of work involved! And b) I prefer building locos and wagons to coaches!

Having said that, all the coaches have had all the fiddly detail bits added, plus couplings buffers etc and all have been chemically blackened before fitting. Have also sorted out a few figures to populate the carriages.

Next stage is weathering, however this week, I've taken some time to catch up on my other project that's on the go in tandem, my Fletcher Jennings loco. My OCD certainly took over with the detail!

More details can be found on its own thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115647-7mm-scale-townsend-hook/?p=2545968

However, as photos of carriages with some detail added is hardly thrilling, here's a photo of the loco with a comparison shot of William Finlay.

post-11098-0-59612400-1482441153_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The trip for the Council was a very long day trip, so varied the route a little and drove via the Tanat Valley. Stopped to look at the very rusty rails at Porthywain.

30219153620_60d1ed6f38_z.jpgTrains No More by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Lovely modelling and photos Mr.Young, 

What's happening with the Tanat valley line?  I see a lot of clearance has been done, last time I passed that way the track just disappeared into a hedge!

I'm not trying a thread hi-jack, is there any information anywhere/

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The layout is set up in the spare room and an order of electrickery materials has arrived so a start will very shortly be made on wiring the layout up at last! Though, having been reading Iain Rice's new book on 'Cameo Layouts' has given me some food for thought. Treating the MVR as one grand plan, generally results in too much thinking and not enough doing. However, if it is built as a series of modules or cameos, each an end in itself, with scenic breaks between each one, I can concentrate on each element at a time, rather than seeing how it fits in with the next piece. The result of this is that I suspect that the MVR will initially become slightly smaller, but which hopefully will result in the MVR expanding quicker in the long term, whilst also being operable as a layout as I do so. More will be written as it happens.

There has been some feverish activity on the modelling bench this last couple of weeks and my modelling mojo is well and truly back. Though the recent activity has seen my FJ loco project finished. Think it's probably taken near enough two years to get from the original idea to this stage, but has definitely been worth it and the 3D printed body should soon be available from CWRailway should anyone else want one. One pleasing personal achievement with this loco has been to overcome the chassis demons and make a chassis work well at last! Even down to using and quartering Gibson wheels.

A couple of photos to wet the appetite, but the saga can be found here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115647-7mm-scale-townsend-hook/?p=2583938

post-11098-0-40842200-1484900941_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-71466800-1484900946_thumb.jpg

The narrow gauge locos are outnumbering the finished standard gauge ones... Once the layout is up and running, expect to see the balance restored. It does make me think that phase two of the MVR will have to incorporate the Upper Melyn Tramway in some way!

post-11098-0-98002900-1484901033_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 6

The layout is set up in the spare room and an order of electrickery materials has arrived so a start will very shortly be made on wiring the layout up at last! Though, having been reading Iain Rice's new book on 'Cameo Layouts' has given me some food for thought. Treating the MVR as one grand plan, generally results in too much thinking and not enough doing. However, if it is built as a series of modules or cameos, each an end in itself, with scenic breaks between each one, I can concentrate on each element at a time, rather than seeing how it fits in with the next piece. The result of this is that I suspect that the MVR will initially become slightly smaller, but which hopefully will result in the MVR expanding quicker in the long term, whilst also being operable as a layout as I do so. More will be written as it happens.

There has been some feverish activity on the modelling bench this last couple of weeks and my modelling mojo is well and truly back. Though the recent activity has seen my FJ loco project finished. Think it's probably taken near enough two years to get from the original idea to this stage, but has definitely been worth it and the 3D printed body should soon be available from CWRailway should anyone else want one. One pleasing personal achievement with this loco has been to overcome the chassis demons and make a chassis work well at last! Even down to using and quartering Gibson wheels.

A couple of photos to wet the appetite, but the saga can be found here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115647-7mm-scale-townsend-hook/?p=2583938

attachicon.gifSir Jasper 2.JPG

attachicon.gifSir Jasper 3.JPG

The narrow gauge locos are outnumbering the finished standard gauge ones... Once the layout is up and running, expect to see the balance restored. It does make me think that phase two of the MVR will have to incorporate the Upper Melyn Tramway in some way!

attachicon.gifSir Jasper Lineup.JPG

Cheers,

Andrew

Stunning work.  Characterful subjects.

• RMweb Gold

Sir Jasper is looking good. The 'cameo' idea sounds workable probably most suited to a light railway with short trains it will allow you to concentrate on the interesting bits.

Don

• 2 months later...

Been a couple of months since the last update. Life has been quite hectic with several birthdays in our family around this time. However, there have been sporadic visits to the modelling bench.

First up, have been painting figures for my carriages, its fair to say that the services will be sparsely populated! Have also constructed some resemblance of seating for the Third and Brake Third carriages, which will be tramway style along the sides and constructed out of styrene section. Very quick, easy and sturdy.

Decided to finish the carriages one at a time, starting with the Rother Valley style third, seen here mid weathering and amongst the passengers. Front of view is a styrene roofing section purchased from the 7mmNGA for a pound or two in Mickleover in January, which, when cut to size, should form a decent roof for this carriage.

post-11098-0-91775600-1490868743.jpg

Also made some progress at last on the layout yesterday by fitting the blue point operators and setting them up.

post-11098-0-91087500-1490868798.jpg

Shall have to get the soldering iron out next to wire the thing up....

Exhibitions can do wonders for the Modelling Mojo and succeeded in attending two in March. First up was Narrow Gauge North in Leeds, where Bob Harper did his usual trick of handing the controller over to someone who stops for a chat whilst looking at his Franklin On2 layout. A happy hour ensued which reminded me how much fun even a small layout can bring...

post-11098-0-12602500-1490868974.jpg

post-11098-0-92604000-1490868986.jpg

Usually, my trips to Leeds involve driving tin rockets, departing Leeds northbound I often look enviously towards The Brewery Tap, outpost of Leeds Brewery as I depart towards Newcastle. This time though, there was time to see what the view is like looking the other way before catching my train home.

post-11098-0-81493700-1490869076.jpg

The following weekend saw the Nottingham Exhibition, one of my favourites as my Dad is still involved with the club I was involved with as a teenager. This year's show was up to the usual high standard which saw me impressed by some N gauge and some American HO layouts, which is most unusual for me... However, my favourite being Macclesfield club's 'Wolfe Lowe' layout, inspired by Rice's 'Leintwardine' plan and very nicely done.

post-11098-0-90786700-1490869302.jpg

post-11098-0-76327700-1490869318.jpg

And finally....

Been to Tywyn a couple of times, first off at the end of January, spent a weekend learning all about hedge laying, add a new skill to the collection. The view wasn't bad either.

post-11098-0-85584100-1490869760_thumb.jpg

By comparison, had my shortest trip to Tywyn yet last week. By train for the day, was in Tywyn for two hours to collect something which will come in useful in a couple of weeks time (no doubt there'll be a post about it...) After visiting the flat, there was just time to look in at Pendre, see the sights on the front and have a quick liquid refreshment before heading back home.

post-11098-0-84897000-1490869469.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 11