Melyn Valley Railway

Andrew Young

I know of a mint Ixion Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST that may be coming to market, albeit not through me.

Hope it finds a good home. Shan't be tempted by another as with one Manning Wardle, a Fowler and a Peckett, the Melyn Quarry Company is already very well off for motive power! Seeing as it's mainly your doing Chris, something other than an industrial 0-4-0 next please.....

Cheers,

Andrew

• 3 months later...

Time flies when you're having fun... And it's now amazingly over three months since my last update!

During one of those work periods where I either get up at 3am or get to bed at 3am that I found doing detailed modelling wasn't being done with the finesse I would like that I had a few days without modelling, but then life intervened. Though in that time, we had a cracking house party for my better half's and her twin brothers 30th, walked all the Manifold Way in a day, all 17 miles return, caught up with friends and family, produced a new Talyllyn Guide Book and had a cracking holiday in Vancouver and the Canadian Rockies. So life has been good, even if no modelling has been done!

To get from Vancouver to the Rockies, we enjoyed two days on the Rocky Mountaineer which was very swish.

post-11098-0-33507000-1463905771_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-42437600-1463905797_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-32520500-1463905819_thumb.jpg

Since getting back, the model making has resumed I'm pleased to say with a couple of sessions detailing the two carriages.

post-11098-0-98501200-1463905876_thumb.jpg

With door, chassis and some roof furniture applied, hopefully I couole more sessions should see them ready for undercoat to be applied.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful coaches; I love those coupe type coaches.

Agreed, some coaches like that survived quite late on the Shropshire & Mongomeryshire LR.  Lovely models as well.

I think those Canadian prototypes might be a bit large for the Melyn Valley though.

Cheers, Dave.

Thank you. I agree about the coupe carriages, perfectly quaint for a light railway! Stephens purchased a pair of similar carriages from the LSWR which ran on the S&M and the KESR until they fell apart!

Some more info here: http://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/rolling-stock/stephens-royal-saloons

Don't worry, have no desire to model any of the Canadian carriages!!

Cheers,

Andrew

Are those coaches still available as kits? They look like just the ticket for a collection of Colonel-Stephenesque Light Railway layouts!

The coupe? Very much available, along with a large range of Victorian delights to tempt you:

https://serkits.com

Have no connection other than being a happy customer.

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

Thank you. I agree about the coupe carriages, perfectly quaint for a light railway! Stephens purchased a pair of similar carriages from the LSWR which ran on the S&M and the KESR until they fell apart!

Some more info here: http://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/rolling-stock/stephens-royal-saloons

Don't worry, have no desire to model any of the Canadian carriages!!

Cheers,

Andrew

Fascinating stuff.

I note in particular:

The carriages seem to have gone into normal public use in about 1876 and disappeared from public view till the mid 1920s. Most published accounts of these two carriages are based on an article in the Locomotive Magazine in 1925 based on information supplied by Colonel Stephens, which stated that both carriages were acquired by the Plymouth Devonport & South West Junction Railway in 1890 for use between Bere Alston and Callington.

Unfortunately, this version of this period in their careers is open to considerable doubt.

Surely any self-respecting modeller of a freelance minor/light railway between the late Nineteenth Century and Stephen's acquisition of these coaches (the web-site says 1911 and 1913, Kidner has No.10 on the K&ESR as 1909) would claim them as his own?   

What a pity (for me) this range is not available in 4mm!

Back to work yesterday, but on evening shifts which has allowed some progress on the carriage before work. Finishing off the steps and foot boards. All quite fiddly, but the kit uses pins pushed through holes drilled in the carriage and glued which makes them quite robust and is a good piece of design. Any SER experts will notice I've taken a few liberties with the steps, particularly on the end, but the MVR's resident joiner is want to modify rolling stock as he sees fit.

Photo taken before heading off to work, shall have a look over tomorrow and see if there's anything else I want to do before both carriages are cleaned down and primed. I tend to sort interiors, roofs and final detailing out as I go from here.

post-11098-0-55882900-1464295097_thumb.jpg

Not starting the working week until Wednesday, did mean a quick trip to Wales. Monday was spent driving the same loco I cleaned on my first day 25 years before in May 1991, though the cab appears to have shrunk in the Welsh rain in the intervening years...

post-11098-0-97744900-1464295199_thumb.jpg

My brief stay was extended due to a driver having cancelled their booking for the Tuesday late on, being a helpful soul, I was happy to stand in and endure the oppressive Welsh sunshine for a day on No 6.

post-11098-0-95042700-1464295291_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 12

Don,

Jealous of the steam engines, or the shiftwork that allows playing steam engines mid week?

Volunteering is one of the best decisions I've made, don't regret it for a minute and still enjoy it, everyone needs an escape from the real world.

The shift work can be great for allowing this, but at other times can seriously hamper your social life as almost all our shifts now are what could be called anti-social hours, made worse by some of the economy measures taken in recent years. Whilst the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, I might feel so chirpy about IT at 04:00 on Monday when I book on after booking of on my Saturday shift at 01:45 Sunday morning! The body clock might need extra tea then...

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

It is the Steam engines. I have driven Dolgoch to Bryn Glas and back, great fun. I have done my fair share of shift work including the joys of an Evening shift when the night shift operator would fail to turn up. Unfortunately volunteering would not fit in with other aspects of our life. I respect those who do.

Don

It is the Steam engines. I have driven Dolgoch to Bryn Glas and back, great fun. I have done my fair share of shift work including the joys of an Evening shift when the night shift operator would fail to turn up. Unfortunately volunteering would not fit in with other aspects of our life. I respect those who do.

Don

Had forgotten that you'd driven No 2, a nice engine to drive though not best suited to those who are of the taller stature!

I'm not driving in Tywyn again now until the July gala so will be mostly modelling photos for a while now.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Despite there not having been any updates on this thread in over a month, I have been doing some modelling, though the mojo hasn't been at its strongest lately. A few bits and pieces on my work bench, none of which have reached a stage yet where I'm happy to share them yet.

In the meantime, last weekend was spent enjoying the last event in the Talyllyn's 150 celebrations, the Grand Finale. Had a great time and the railway was very busy which was great to see.

Spent Saturday driving the birthday loco Dolgoch and the Sunday on standard gauge visitor, Captain Baxter. Rather fancy one in O gauge but would involve scratchbuilding.

A couple of photos to show what went on, more can be found on my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/gp/pandaonetwofive/8A1KWg

All five British based surviving Fletcher Jennings locos lined up at Wharf.

post-11098-0-06018600-1467827586_thumb.jpeg

View from my new favourite toy!

post-11098-0-67062400-1467827652_thumb.jpeg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 9

Has anyone ever thought to do up a kit for Captain Baxter? I think it would prove to be a popular one.

I've not seen one in O gauge, but if anyone were to produce one then I'd be certainly putting my name down for one! Was discussing Captain Baxter's merits with John Taylor at the event as he was taking measurements of the loco when we stopped moving it about. Even with the drawings, castings would be an issue. One alternative which would be easier to do in O gauge for a suitably esoteric loco would be for the Wantage Tramway loco Jane, built by George England and just as characterful. Subject to a scratchbuild series in MRJ a while ago, the castings packs were still available from MRJ a couple of years ago when I bought a set, plus Lawrie Griffin produces some other castings to suit. It's a case of 'Round toits' for mine.

Cheers,

Andrew

Each summer, a group of us book in for the same week on the Talyllyn and last week was this year's. A good time was had by all and here's a few photos.

Arrived late on the Saturday night after a nocturnal after work drive down, so Sunday was a day of rest. After a breakfast at Wharf, I was able to check through the new Talyllyn Guide Book which is hot off the press, which I had a hand in producing.

27768641304_3218570131_z.jpgThe Good Book by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Sunday afternoon I intended doing some modelling and had taken some stuff with me, annoyingly I had forgotten to take a crucial piece with me. So instead, I tested out the Wye Valley HPA at the new pub which has opened up on Tywyn Promenade, very nice it was too, plus the view wasn't bad!

28351876516_0a246cbb7d_z.jpgHappy Panda Ale by Andrew Young, on Flickr

The week had some very mixed weather, from some gorgeous sunshine on Thursday when I was driving the Victorian Train.

28091102870_c27ecb1b2b_z.jpgThe Victorian by Andrew Young, on Flickr

To some very low cloud on Saturday when I spent the day supervising a Driver Experience course for the partner of one of our former volunteers.

28351876016_9d92aaaeef_z.jpgTattoos in the Mist by Andrew Young, on Flickr

28351875236_43c372c01c_z.jpgTattoos in the Mist 2 by Andrew Young, on Flickr

More to follow...

Plus, a return to model making updates before the week is out.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 4

However, my week can be summed up by one photo from each day:

On Monday, David embraced his inner Nancy.

28103367400_62b92db460_z.jpgPassengers and Polish by Andrew Young, on Flickr

On Tuesday, I had a day on shed where the Two Beckies kept the engines (and me) in hand!

28385972665_4eaba7a456_z.jpgThese Girls Can by Andrew Young, on Flickr

On Wednesday, we saw what happened to Ivo Hugh as his bit part appearance in the books meant that fame dealt him a cruel hand.

28103367070_189c89e419_z.jpgIvo Hugh, the Wilderness Years by Andrew Young, on Flickr

On Thursday, it was the Gallant Old Engine's Day Off.

28385972345_9b9af00f3a_z.jpgGallant Old Engine's Day Off by Andrew Young, on Flickr

After a particularly hot Vindaloo Thursday night, Friday's fireman wasn't in the best shape...

28103366760_88c59748c5_z.jpgDelhi Belly by Andrew Young, on Flickr

On Saturday, I forgot to pay for my lunch again...

28103366410_82e5f59ca5_z.jpgThat Bloody Panda! by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Overall, a great week in the Special Funnel Community!

28385971825_e9a177c496_z.jpgThe Special Funnel Community by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Time for one of those work breaks now though...

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos Andy!

Also stick me down for a lot of Baxter, or William Findley/Townend Hook (I have a soft spot for products of messers Fletcher Jennings...!).

I think that David Andrews/Gladiator used to produce kits of the FJ locos used on the Severn & Wye Railway many years ago - I wonder if any of the castings from them could be used (assuming that the parts are still available of course).