New Models at Springfield Big RR show

Now that I have most of the "big guys" documented, its time to start showing stuff from some of the smaller manufacurers.

Rapido was there with their FPA-4 and FPB-4.  If you ask me which model I was most impressed with at the show, it wouldn't even be close.  Even unpainted, they were hands down the best looking pre-production models on display.  The only ones that even came close were the metroliners.  (but that might also be due to my "transition era" bias)  When they get painted, they're going to be just AWESOME, especially in the CN green/black/yellow passenger scheme.

post-7591-0-90827400-1391093407.jpg

post-7591-0-68896100-1391093361.jpg

post-7591-0-49580800-1391093385.jpg

post-7591-0-88212600-1391093436.jpg

And something I hadn't really even considered getting, but then I saw them...  The N scale GMD-1:  Once again, the photos don't capture how nice these looked in the flesh

post-7591-0-29544700-1391093545.jpg

post-7591-0-58822000-1391093577.jpg

Those are going to look really sharp in CN green as well.

Now that I have most of the "big guys" documented, its time to start showing stuff from some of the smaller manufacurers.

Rapido was there with their FPA-4 and FPB-4.  If you ask me which model I was most impressed with at the show, it wouldn't even be close.  Even unpainted, they were hands down the best looking pre-production models on display.  The only ones that even came close were the metroliners.  (but that might also be due to my "transition era" bias)  When they get painted, they're going to be just AWESOME, especially in the CN green/black/yellow passenger scheme.

Or VIA Blue/yellow

post-206-0-12075400-1391096791.jpg

And something I hadn't really even considered getting, but then I saw them...  The N scale GMD-1:  Once again, the photos don't capture how nice these looked in the flesh

Those are going to look really sharp in CN green as well.

And after the two A1A-A1A variants there are two B-B versions to come.

• RMweb Gold

Well guys, have got round to haing a look at the Metroliners and, as Mike as said, they are fantastic. The finish of the coaches is amazing - and unfortunately my photo booth in front of the pc screen does not do justice to the finish of the models. Here's the Snack Bar Coach in Amtrak Ph.I livery:

post-586-0-80643800-1391096151.jpg

post-586-0-84545900-1391096165.jpg

post-586-0-47040500-1391096188.jpg

post-586-0-29323300-1391096205.jpg

As a lover of all things electric multiple unit decided that my pension fund could also support the purchase of the Pennsylvania RR version wich looks just as good as the Amtrak version

post-586-0-84976600-1391096225.jpg

post-586-0-91260600-1391096247.jpg

post-586-0-80489200-1391096275.jpg

post-586-0-78827700-1391096293.jpg

Know it does not belong in this thread but it's interesting to compare how high-speed electric multiple has evolved over the years. Wonder what the PRR designers of the Metroliners would think of the JR East E5 Shinkansen:

post-586-0-28916300-1391096311.jpg

Think I know what I prefer the look of......and it's not the E5.... :jester:

Keith

Their competitors would probably be strapping jet engines to it to see what it would do....   ;)

Actually, the Jet-powered RDC and the Metroliner were both Budd products...

Note that the 1968 PRR scheme on the Metroliner was never used in revenue service - they had all been re-badged to PC when service started in 1969. Apparently they went to Amtrak in 1971 after PC went bankrupt (in 1970, however the corpse of PC lingered until the formation of Conrail in 1976).

Adrian

Well guys, have got round to haing a look at the Metroliners and, as Mike as said, they are fantastic. The finish of the coaches is amazing - and unfortunately my photo booth in front of the pc screen does not do justice to the finish of the models. Here's the Snack Bar Coach in Amtrak Ph.I livery:

Your pics are much better than mine!  Glad to hear you like them!

Know it does not belong in this thread but it's interesting to compare how high-speed electric multiple has evolved over the years. Wonder what the PRR designers of the Metroliners would think of the JR East E5 Shinkansen:

The would probably think they had WAY too much to drink/smoke one night just before a platypus walked through the office.

Back to the "big players" in the game.  Atlas...

In HO, they were showing both the short nose and high nose versions of the Alco C420

post-7591-0-43025100-1391121610.jpg

post-7591-0-98571200-1391121650.jpg

The new S-2:

post-7591-0-14189200-1391121687.jpg

For freight, the 1932 ARA boxcar

post-7591-0-06534200-1391121763.jpg

Moving to the N scale side, a slightly smaller version of the S-2.

post-7591-0-04169900-1391121804.jpg

And a few freight cars, a PS 3 bay hopper

post-7591-0-95381200-1391121874.jpg

Next manufacturer up, Broadway Limited.

Their Pennsy H-10.

post-7591-0-08885700-1391224380.jpg

post-7591-0-99254700-1391224390.jpg

I would be curious to put theirs next to MTH to see how they compared.  From the photos, its hard to tell as one is painted and the other not.  The tender on the BLI model is distinctly different than the MTH, and to my eyes, the BLI has more of a "Pennsy feel"

I also went over to talk to one of the BLI reps, the conversation went something like this:

Me: I have a loaded question to ask...

Rep: OK.

Me: The Pennsy H-10

Rep: Yes.

Me: Since you've done all the research, what's the chance that you'll do it in N scale?

That started a 2-3 minute conversation with him and another rep.  Both of them said they agreed it would be a good seller in N.  They said it was something they had thought about, but at this point in time their sound decoder is wouldn't fit in an N scale H-10, so they wouldn't do it in the near future.  If decoder miniaturization keeps progressing, its something they would consider.

Now back to the pictures...

The Sharks:

post-7591-0-40093800-1391224752.jpg

post-7591-0-81070100-1391224782.jpg

The SW1500:

post-7591-0-60518600-1391224815.jpg

(pay no attention to that broken handrail.   :wink_mini:  Any particular paint job you're interested in?

post-7591-0-97274700-1391224832.jpg

The REA reefer:

post-7591-0-90485600-1391224862.jpg

And the stock car, with optional sound!?!?!?  

post-7591-0-82614700-1391225019.jpg

I couldn't hear anything on the demo model, so I don't know how good the sound is.  From what I read, when the car is jostled, it makes the sounds of "complaining cattle", so with it moving slowly and smoothly around the track, no sound.  (and that loop of track had an E unit, followed by a Daylight observation, followed by the stock car and a boxcar.  Not exactly a prototypical consist!)

Dear RMWebbers,

Hmmm, yay for more SW1500s...

Um, holdup a sec....

Just grabbed a random sample of my current SW1500 roster, (every time I turn around there seems to be more of them in the roster, must get that seen too...), along with some protopics,

- ath horn and bell finer in cross-section

- ath pilot details (cut lever esp) appears to be a finer more-detailed seperate part

- era check on the footboard steps and associated grabrails

- ath hood sand filer area has appropriate angled surface and filler cap (cap is not parallel to hood side)

- where are the cab sunshades?

- unsure what the nubbins are on the side of the front headlight housing?

I'd be interested to see the "cab end" head-on, but for the rrp prices on the BLI/FDT site which have been promising these units for some years now, the Aths on the roster appear safe...

I'd also be interested in finding out the specs of the cattle car sound unit. "Annoyed cows" units have been offered before, over 10 years ago by P2k iirc, so it will be interesting to see if the new generation has improved in performance...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I also went over to talk to one of the BLI reps, the conversation went something like this:

Me: I have a loaded question to ask...

Rep: OK.

Me: The Pennsy H-10

Rep: Yes.

Me: Since you've done all the research, what's the chance that you'll do it in N scale?

That started a 2-3 minute conversation with him and another rep.  Both of them said they agreed it would be a good seller in N.  They said it was something they had thought about, but at this point in time their sound decoder is wouldn't fit in an N scale H-10, so they wouldn't do it in the near future.  If decoder miniaturization keeps progressing, its something they would consider.

Since we've been waiting since 2005 for the N-scale M1a (4-8-2) they announced, I wouldn't be holding my breath...

Plus a K4s (4-6-2) would be a better seller, as it is the iconic PRR steam loco. An I1 (2-10-0) would also be a good idea, as they were used for pushing well into the diesel era.

Adrian

Since we've been waiting since 2005 for the N-scale M1a (4-8-2) they announced, I wouldn't be holding my breath...

Plus a K4s (4-6-2) would be a better seller, as it is the iconic PRR steam loco. An I1 (2-10-0) would also be a good idea, as they were used for pushing well into the diesel era.

Adrian

I'm expecting it around the 2nd of never, but it never hurts to put the idea in their head.

Here's what Bowser was showing...

The C-430 in an absolutely delicious paint scheme...

post-7591-0-22472000-1391304208.jpg

The detail on the cab front was second to none.

And the S-8/S-12

post-7591-0-29496000-1391304285.jpg

The pictures didn't come out well, but the printing on those bicentennial paint schemes was very well done (even if they're just a bit over the top...)

post-7591-0-24755700-1391304378.jpg

The H30 covered hopper.

post-7591-0-12968900-1391304660.jpg

The ends were nicely detailed, albeit hard to photograph...

post-7591-0-64736100-1391304637.jpg

Almost done with the manufacturers, soon I'll start showing some other interesting stuff NOT for sale seen at the show...

Fox Valley had a few tables.  The representative was clearly a hockey fan, as he was wearing a "hockey sweater" in the fox valley orange/white colors, with the fox valley logo on his chest.  Should've taken a photo of it, it looked pretty cool...  (or at least the owner is a fan, and makes the guy wear it!   ;) )

In N scale, and I know its not new, but I thought it was impressive enough to snap a pic.  And considering the street price for each loco is about $100, its not exactly cheap either!

post-7591-0-93079800-1391357249.jpg

(As an aside, one of the guys who came up for the N trak layout announced he's moving to the west coast, so he had about 30 N scale locos for sale, all DCC equipped.  29 of them were NS black from various manufacturers, one was the Fox valley PRR heritage scheme.  He wanted $60 each loco.  Anyone want to guess what my son is getting for next Christmas?   ;)  Now I'll need to get a DCC setup and learn how to use it!)

They had a few pilot models on display, also N scale: an SD70:

post-7591-0-57058800-1391357485.jpg

And the "silverside" gon.  The first aluminum gon made for unit train service, used on the Southern/NS in the 60s and 70s.

post-7591-0-02960400-1391357509.jpg

They also had another version with out the short horizontal rib at the top of the 4 center panels.

And finally, in HO scale they've made more than a few freight cars painted for well known model railroads.  They've started doing locomotives.

post-7591-0-54559700-1391357566.jpg

Interesting that some of these can be considered "heritage schemes" as Tony Koester has torn down his AM.  I always thought the idea of several model railroaders getting together to "merge" their layouts was a stroke of genius.

I asked if they had the test shot for the N scale B&O wagontop caboose.  He said they were expecting the first shots in a few weeks.  Which led to the next question I had: Since they've done the wagontop boxcars, and now the caboose, are they considering doing the wagontop covered hoppers?  Didn't get an answer one way or the other on that one...

For the first time in several years, Weaver wasn't there.  AFAIK, they're still not releasing 2 rail due to not being able to get certain parts.  You're safe for now!

Weaver GP38.... ah, yes..... I'm kinda hoping Atlas do a better one..... ;)

Dear RMWebbers,

Hmmm, yay for more SW1500s...

Um, holdup a sec....

Just grabbed a random sample of my current SW1500 roster, (every time I turn around there seems to be more of them in the roster, must get that seen too...), along with some protopics,

- ath horn and bell finer in cross-section

- ath pilot details (cut lever esp) appears to be a finer more-detailed seperate part

- era check on the footboard steps and associated grabrails

- ath hood sand filer area has appropriate angled surface and filler cap (cap is not parallel to hood side)

- where are the cab sunshades?

- unsure what the nubbins are on the side of the front headlight housing?

I'd be interested to see the "cab end" head-on, but for the rrp prices on the BLI/FDT site which have been promising these units for some years now, the Aths on the roster appear safe...

I'd also be interested in finding out the specs of the cattle car sound unit. "Annoyed cows" units have been offered before, over 10 years ago by P2k iirc, so it will be interesting to see if the new generation has improved in performance...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Sunshades - varied by prototype.  Southern/Norfolk Southern didn't have the conventional trapezoidal sunshades for example.

Nubbins - flag holders forward, lift rings aft.

I got a good look at the BLIs at Cocoa Beach - they're nicely done but...why?  Why when the Athearn is so very nice?  The shell is excellent, the Mashima-motored drive is superb.  BLI could have done an Alco S-5/6 or even a better SW-1 than the Walthers.  Oh well...

Last of the manufacturers, and this time with video!

Bachmann had the On30 Whitcomb switcher both on static display on a shelf and running around their display layout.

post-7591-0-96858300-1391484225.jpg

Pay no attention to the HO scale boxcar in front of the loco!

And a few manufacturers that I had never heard of, but had interesting products.

Lunde Studios had some very nice urban buildings, in both HO and N.  These are resin building kits, and the quality of the castings was fantastic.  Very sharp details.  The other thing to note is that none of the models on display, IIRC, here are painted.  Thats the color the resin is molded in.

post-7591-0-05002200-1391484391.jpg

So, how do they have different colored windows than the brickwork?  Its two pieces of resin.  One is the exterior brickwork, the other is perfectly matched with it and is just the window frames, molded in a different color resin.  And in case the castings are a little different in size due to the resin shrinking differently, the window frame pieces have score lines molded in so you can cut them and adjust so the window frames are centered properly in the windows.

The other thing I found interesting is that after the resin is dry, the put it in a milling machine, mill the edges to 45 degrees, so the corner joint is all but invisible.  They also milled thin slots just shy of that corner, and on the corresponding sides they had tabs molded in and then milled to dimension.  Tab and slot construction in a resin structure kit!  The proprietor handed me two pieces, and they fit together smoothly but not loosely.  Easy as anything I've seen to assemble!

And finally...

Unionville Depot had some interesting technology associated with DCC.

The first thing, and I don't have a photo of it, is a circuit board/servo combination to throw switches.  The interesting part is that the turnout was activated by pointing a laser pointer at a small light receptor mounted on the board.  You put that receptor in a small structure near the turnout, point the laser at it, and the turnout throws.

The second was technology to "uncouple any car in a train".

a photo of an equipped car:

post-7591-0-56489100-1391484929_thumb.jpg

and a video of the demo they were running.

Lets see if I can explain it.   (I'm not an electronic guy, I tried building "bridge rectifier" constant lighting curcuit and it wouldn't work!)  There's a DCC decoder in the loco.  That's the only decoder needed, and at least 1 function needs to be unused.  You would send that function the # of the car you want uncoupled.  (#1 being uncoupling the first car from the loco)  That message would be passed from car to car.  If you look at the still photo, on the circuit board are 3 square devices (I don't remember what he called them).  You need to mount those circuit boards on both ends of the car, aligned so the "sending" one shoots its beam to the "recieving" one on the next car.  When the right number of "jumps" is done, the curcuit board inside the boxcar operates a servo which throws the uncoupling lever, and the Kaydee couplers act the same as they do with a magnetic uncoupling ramp.  The 3rd "square" is a laser pointer receptor, which throws the uncoupling lever, so its either ready for re-coupling, or it gets opened and you can push the car to its intended location, just like if the car was parked on an uncoupling magnet.

Made for an interesting demo!

But, there are some obvious limitations.  You either need to mount the circuit board outside the cars, or drill holes in the ends so the message can be transmitted. Also, based on the size of the electronics/servo, I don't see any way it'll work in a tank car, a "steam era" low sided gondola, a flat car (unless you hide it in a large load).  It could probably work in a hopper or large modern gondola.  And forget N scale!

I'll be interested to see how the technology advances over the next few years.

My next posting will start the "other interesting stuff seen at the show" photos...

Archived