SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Argyle go up as champions then Phil @Mallard60022 look forward to seeing you at the CBS Arena next season.😉

Thanks matey. Think we may be a little challenged but hey, at least we are there for a Season.

I actually watched in on Argyle TV. 

ATB

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

You were lucky to watch it, Virgin Media has been down in Plymouth since around 10.40 this morning, so an awful lot of fans were somewhat upset, all though the language in the pub this afternoon was somewhat more colourful.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

You were lucky to watch it, Virgin Media has been down in Plymouth since around 10.40 this morning, so an awful lot of fans were somewhat upset, all though the language in the pub this afternoon was somewhat more colourful.

Yes I saw that on FB. Someone posted that Virgin was Down in Plymouth, so I replied, "I didn't know there were any Virgins in Plymouth!" Strangely he wasn't amused; miserable sod must have been a Grockle.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yes I saw that on FB. Someone posted that Virgin was Down in Plymouth, so I replied, "I didn't know there were any Virgins in Plymouth!" Strangely he wasn't amused; miserable sod must have been a Grockle.

Certainly sounds that way. Mind you there were several miserable so and so's in the pub this afternoon, because of the outage. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Quick Image to show that I've started putting down base Grass Mats ready for the Static Grass and Vegetation treatment.

20230511_154025.jpg.343936017105cd65f7edbb9e98694e95.jpg

That really is coming on rapidly Phil. It is going to be a real feature.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Phil, do you want to borrow me Red Warship loco it would look loverly roaring towards the caterpillar.

Wash your mouth out with Saddle Soap Morty. It has to be a Green one and with that 'orrible straining (NOT roaring) Sound they made, attempting to climb the Incline. It needed special Track gangs to clear up the broken bits and wasted Hydraulic Oils after every passing Train, thus the need for two Huts. 

Various 'stains' on the Vegetation will be realistically portrayed, as ICBA to get down from The Junction to use the facilities down the Ladder and along the Landing! Too much info there.

NO progress today due to exhaustion.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Wash your mouth out with Saddle Soap Morty. It has to be a Green one and with that 'orrible straining (NOT roaring) Sound they made, attempting to climb the Incline. It needed special Track gangs to clear up the broken bits and wasted Hydraulic Oils after every passing Train, thus the need for two Huts. 

Various 'stains' on the Vegetation will be realistically portrayed, as ICBA to get down from The Junction to use the facilities down the Ladder and along the Landing! Too much info there.

NO progress today due to exhaustion.

Phil

My memory of Warship locos, was green ones in Paddington with red coaches and red uns in Waterloo with green carriages.

That is why I suggested a Midland Railway Crimson Lake liveried loco. You can have back the MG racing green one you asked me to adopt cos that would make a straining sound, light n-gin as too would be exhausted.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

My memory of Warship locos, was green ones in Paddington with red coaches and red uns in Waterloo with green carriages.

That is why I suggested a Midland Railway Crimson Lake liveried loco. You can have back the MG racing green one you asked me to adopt cos that would make a straining sound, light n-gin as too would be exhausted.

I has a red one one two and a green one or three, but not a blue one. I only saw a filthy and clapped out one at Exeter Central in '67 in 1967; I think it was Green!

However my need is for diverted WR ones in 1960, so a clapped out one is OK, Red or Green!

Hoorah.

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I has a red one one two and a green one or three, but not a blue one. I only saw a filthy and clapped out one at Exeter Central in '67 in 1967; I think it was Green!

However my need is for diverted WR ones in 1960, so a clapped out one is OK, Red or Green!

Hoorah.

P

For 1960 you will need a green one as they didn't start to paint them red until much later. To be honest green red and blue liveries looked naff on the Warships but this livery suited them.

image.png.c6ca377c1abec4866c97d978f765e324.png

V200 007 (James Bond)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

IMHO:

Generally, the more layers and colours, the better it looks. 

The longer the grass, the paler it is. Short plants (in the 'jungle') are usually a darker/richer green than those reaching for the sky. 

A thick layer of long or extra long fibres and you won't be able to see much of the underlying base, whether RTR mats or paint/scatter. Two or more applications of loose fibres, even less. 

If you can get the applicator working, then the funnel is useful for small patches of coverage without deluging the area in largely unwanted fibres. 

If the static grass glue is water soluble (those two bottles from me are) then a drop or two of concentrated brown paint in them when spreading helps dull any sheen - as does a gentle sprinkling of Treemendus' earth powder and/or Woodland's fine turf - preferably a mix of green grass, yellow grass and burnt grass depending on taste and lighting. 

Little dabs of glue or spot squirts with the old style sticky hairspray and sprinkles of pinches of fine scatter/earth powder/parched grass (to represent cut grass dying off) can add a lot of variation and detail. 

Have fun! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
On 12/05/2023 at 16:46, Mallard60022 said:

Hoorah.

P

IIRC, Warships didn't start receiving Maroon livery until 1965.

The most disreputable looking green one I remember on the Southern route was D813 Diadem (a.k.a Diabolical) from which paint and body stopper seemed eager to distance themselves!

The word "weathering" is nowhere near sufficient!

John

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

IMHO:

Generally, the more layers and colours, the better it looks. 

The longer the grass, the paler it is. Short plants (in the 'jungle') are usually a darker/richer green than those reaching for the sky. 

A thick layer of long or extra long fibres and you won't be able to see much of the underlying base, whether RTR mats or paint/scatter. Two or more applications of loose fibres, even less. 

If you can get the applicator working, then the funnel is useful for small patches of coverage without deluging the area in largely unwanted fibres. 

If the static grass glue is water soluble (those two bottles from me are) then a drop or two of concentrated brown paint in them when spreading helps dull any sheen - as does a gentle sprinkling of Treemendus' earth powder and/or Woodland's fine turf - preferably a mix of green grass, yellow grass and burnt grass depending on taste and lighting. 

Little dabs of glue or spot squirts with the old style sticky hairspray and sprinkles of pinches of fine scatter/earth powder/parched grass (to represent cut grass dying off) can add a lot of variation and detail. 

Have fun! 

I have read/seen that adding a little Salt to the glue mix and even Lemon Juice, actually decreases the resistance. 

Thanks Simon.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Valid chemistry.

Thank you. I sort of new about the Saline side but hadn't seen the Lemon Juice one b4. I last did any 'real' Chemistry in 1964 so may I be forgiven? I can't even spell Physics.

Do you have any other tips about making the Static Grass Base Glue more conductive? My little 9V battery in the Applicator seems to work OK but without a visible oomphydrag (Technical term there).

I would really welcome any advice as U Tube is OK but they all look so competent and confident!

Phil   

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Do you have any other tips about making the Static Grass Base Glue more conductive?

Sorry no. My only experience is doing a short length of bank on a club layout; it seemed to just work.

• Thanks 1