SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

All these places west of Reading....today has been a wonderful geography lesson. I never knew there were so many, not that I would dare venture that far.

Doesn’t sound as if you’re thinking of going to Germany, though either? (Nice one, by the way)

Edited by Northroader

• RMweb Premium

Or Basingstoke.....

I don't know that Basingstoke's that bad (any more), but when the Romans saw it coming, they abandoned Silchester......

Edited to add - it is on the LSWR after all (Basingstoke, not Silchester)

Edited by DIW

• RMweb Premium

I don't know that Basingstoke's that bad (any more), but when the Romans saw it coming, they abandoned Silchester......

Basingstoke used to have a decent Station with proper job signals and some WR loco's were allowed to use it if they behaved themselves. Seen some MR ones there as well; Black 5s used to work some Poole services; no idea why.

W.O.King

• RMweb Premium

Not having a lot of success getting details about these damn footbridges' poositions. However I did calculate, whilst asleep for some strange reason, that the actual platform footbridge had quite wide steps but I am not sure the cross piece was as wide. The Footpath bridge is consistant in width and I reckon about 5', but I have to check from photo's if that is possible. Probably standard SR concrete size bits, but not necessarily.

I'm also now a bit concerned that I might have to 'jiggle' (tech P4 terminology) my down main lines, where the platform bridge is. Not really wide enough at the moment.

Phinking  

Wrt Post 10906, it's a pity the new GWR managed to misquote Laurence Binyon on the locomotive. Wouldn't have happened under the Old Company.

How is it misquoted?  Every version I've seen on t'internet seems to agree. (even the Torygraph)

And I can't lay my hands on my school copy (much annotated!) of War Poetry for a more authoritative version...

• RMweb Premium

No no no, not the real place but an over inflated pompous "I am wonderful" layout owner.....

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

I never got to try the 'real' GWR, other than the aforementioned sleeper, and a few years later travelling 1st class with mother and a sainted aunt to Swansea to catch the overnight ferry to Cork in BR's Blue period. 

As I recall we did go on a nicely turned out set of Mk1s and had a very enjoyable sit down lunch with proper cutlery. Unfortunately the role of porter fell to me as the only male in the party, so I never saw what hauled us there.

Later when I had to visit Bristol regularly I got to try the IC125s in their heyday, and a couple of years ago bck had to visit clients in Truro. I booked a 1st class off-peak and did the whole trip return for £56 being well fed and watered in both directions.

the 125 really is an excellent piece of engineering when you consider those diseasels are over 40 years old and apart from having an engine change, which was mostly to meet noise and pollution requirements, have hardly missed a beat despite the huge mileage and high speed runs they turn in 24x7 - says something about the capabilities the British Heavy Engineering sector...

Another GWR memory does pop up - when I was a wee boy my father took me to Paddington, no idea why as we weren't travelling anywhere, but I was most intrigued to see a special train that according to a sign on its front window had been set aside for people wishing to spend their time reading.

it was only some years later that I discovered, I believe when doing geography 'O'Level that it was in fact the name of a principal town on the route!

My father never did let on!

• Like 1

... a special train that according to a sign on its front window had been set aside for people wishing to spend their time reading.

it was only some years later that I discovered, I believe when doing geography 'O'Level that it was in fact the name of a principal town on the route!

Another little-known fact - the name of the station now known as Reading West is a actually corruption of the famous "Reading Vest", a warm garment designed for sitting up in bed with a book, which was hand-made by local weavers from the wool of the majestic herds of wild alpaca roaming the fields adjacent to the nearby River Kennett. Its design usually incorporates a handy pocket for your reading glasses and some versions had a specially stiffened shoulder pad for placing a candle on, so as not to disturb anyone else sharing the bed with you.

• RMweb Premium

No no no, not the real place but an over inflated pompous "I am wonderful" layout owner.....

I'll think you'll find that building a 85'x 22'9" massive layout in Spain gives you full permission to be heavily opinionated and obnoxious.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113725-basingstoke-1958-67-layout-and-stock/?p=3027231

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I never got to try the 'real' GWR, other than the aforementioned sleeper, and a few years later travelling 1st class with mother and a sainted aunt to Swansea to catch the overnight ferry to Cork in BR's Blue period. 

As I recall we did go on a nicely turned out set of Mk1s and had a very enjoyable sit down lunch with proper cutlery. Unfortunately the role of porter fell to me as the only male in the party, so I never saw what hauled us there.

Later when I had to visit Bristol regularly I got to try the IC125s in their heyday, and a couple of years ago bck had to visit clients in Truro. I booked a 1st class off-peak and did the whole trip return for £56 being well fed and watered in both directions.

the 125 really is an excellent piece of engineering when you consider those diseasels are over 40 years old and apart from having an engine change, which was mostly to meet noise and pollution requirements, have hardly missed a beat despite the huge mileage and high speed runs they turn in 24x7 - says something about the capabilities the British Heavy Engineering sector...

Another GWR memory does pop up - when I was a wee boy my father took me to Paddington, no idea why as we weren't travelling anywhere, but I was most intrigued to see a special train that according to a sign on its front window had been set aside for people wishing to spend their time reading.

You're not the only one. My mother had special biscuits for when she was reading. Huntley & Palmer's.

• RMweb Premium

I'll think you'll find that building a 85'x 22'9" massive layout in Spain gives you full permission to be heavily opinionated and obnoxious.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113725-basingstoke-1958-67-layout-and-stock/?p=3027231

Are his Bullyboy Pacifics correct?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh, I don't know. Didn't they get shires and counties confused to a tautological degree in naming Hawksworth locos?

That was as nothing compared with some of the misspelt names on broad gauge engines!   'Load Star' (instead of Lode Star), 'Spit Fire' (instead of spitfire), Prosepine (arguably incorrect for proserpina although the 'e' ending was used later in the Victorian era, anyway it was from the wrong deity to match others in its group of the class as the others were all named after Greek gods), 'Assagais' (assagai) was the only member of its group named after the plural of the weapon, all the others were in the singular) while in the same group 'Creese' was a rare and unusual spelling for kris.  'Capricornus' seems to have been used erroneously instead of capricorn - perhaps because it followed Sagittarius in the class list.

A well known one was 'Sampson' in the Hercules Class which should have been named 'Samson' and 'Goliah' in the same class which should have been 'Goliath' - so even as early as the 1840s the GWR was getting things wrong.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Silchester was on the GWR - shown in the timetables and on the running-in boards as 'Bramley For Silchester'.

Another little-known fact - the name of the station now known as Reading West is a actually corruption of the famous "Reading Vest", a warm garment designed for sitting up in bed with a book, which was hand-made by local weavers from the wool of the majestic herds of wild alpaca roaming the fields adjacent to the nearby River Kennett. Its design usually incorporates a handy pocket for your reading glasses and some versions had a specially stiffened shoulder pad for placing a candle on, so as not to disturb anyone else sharing the bed with you.

Coincidentally served by trains which also call at Bramley.  However on a point of detail the alpaca herds are actually in the Thames Valley near Pangbourne (and further upstream) not the Kennet Valley although it is possible that they migrated as the Kennet Valley is very prone to flooding.  Alpaca are quite nice but shy animals, unlike llamas which are vicious creatures which try to bite you given half a chance.