SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to do Paddington to Penzance one day when funds permit as I imagine it costs an arm or leg.

A friend of ours got a one way on the sleeper for £35 last year but that was with his Senior Railcard.  Dunno about the leg but we spent a couple of hours with him in Penzance Health Centre after he tripped over a badly placed platform slab and damaged his hand.  However we had been wondering what to do for the morning after breakfast until we were collected by the ship so that filled in the gap quite nicely.

• RMweb Gold

Has Truro got a roof? I know it still has a footbridge west  of the station (well I think it is still there)

P

Truro doesn't have an over track roof, but it does boast two on-platform fully, covered foot bridges, as well as the footbridge over the whole station at the west end.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, see, I thought so!

Do they sell marmalade sandwiches? (new GWR First Class complimentary delicacy, I believe).

No and the lady behind the counter wasn't best pleased with me when I asked.......didn't dare enquirer if they served chocolate and cream. :nono: :nono: :nono:

• RMweb Gold

A friend of ours got a one way on the sleeper for £35 last year but that was with his Senior Railcard.  Dunno about the leg but we spent a couple of hours with him in Penzance Health Centre after he tripped over a badly placed platform slab and damaged his hand.  However we had been wondering what to do for the morning after breakfast until we were collected by the ship so that filled in the gap quite nicely.

That's global warming and rising sea levels for you.....Back in the day we were always collected by a taxi.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Alas my son won't be seeing him this weekend as the lad is off pub exploring in Bulgaria - so I'll have to try to remember next week.  But in the meanwhile you can read Jamie's (Jim's) own words here - strange that different folk knew him by different names over the years hence he's always 'Jamie' to me although most of the Nine Elms 'old boys' now him as 'Jim'

http://svsfilm.com/nineelms/wcf.htm

Sounds like there was no fault then, just the January weather creating plenty of condensation of the exhaust or perhpas cylinder cocks open for a while after starting off for Oxford.

Thanks Mike, I love reading stuff from that site.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Well, now the serious investigations and measuring of things begins. I have taken Big Footprint up The Junction and placed it upon the paper version which shows the Platform 'width', building to Platform edge (in theory).

Next the postions of the footbridges must be sorted by looking at pics of the Up Platform to see where the steps were postioned. On the Down Platform I suspect some compromise will be needed with the Down building dimensions, the Signal Box position adjusted and I need to study the few pics I have of the Down building. AFAIK there are no plans available on line for this building and I have had zero luck in accessing any info from previous modellers of Seaton Junction. 

Ooohhh, I'm all excited and need to lie down.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Your new building should butt up against the platform, as there will be a small footing to strengthen under the doors.

How much detail is needed inside? Just the booking hall, or other rooms as well?

Your new building should butt up against the platform, as there will be a small footing to strengthen under the doors.

How much detail is needed inside? Just the booking hall, or other rooms as well?

Well, now the serious investigations and measuring of things begins. I have taken Big Footprint up The Junction and placed it upon the paper version which shows the Platform 'width', building to Platform edge (in theory).

Next the postions of the footbridges must be sorted by looking at pics of the Up Platform to see where the steps were postioned. On the Down Platform I suspect some compromise will be needed with the Down building dimensions, the Signal Box position adjusted and I need to study the few pics I have of the Down building. AFAIK there are no plans available on line for this building and I have had zero luck in accessing any info from previous modellers of Seaton Junction. 

Ooohhh, I'm all excited and need to lie down.

Phil

Picture of SJ on the CRS site today!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Wrt Post 10906, it's a pity the new GWR managed to misquote Laurence Binyon on the locomotive. Wouldn't have happened under the Old Company.

Oh, I don't know. Didn't they get shires and counties confused to a tautological degree in naming Hawksworth locos?

• RMweb Gold

Oh, I don't know. Didn't they get shires and counties confused to a tautological degree in naming Hawksworth locos?

Well they did a duke on a bulldog chassis and called it a dukedog.

A similar conjunction of shire and county would be a .

• RMweb Premium

Booking Hall please. Possibly curtains in the upper floor residentail windows? Anything else you consider suitable? Thanks matey.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Sat on the platform, on a cold, metal seat.

Looking forwards to warmth, and something to eat.

'Harry Patch' is in, soon to depart,

Still serving his country, still playing his part.

Brunel sits alone, surveying the scene.

Hearing the whistles, watching them clean.

The birds fly around, looking for food,

The passengers bustle, trying not to be rude.

Bicycles sit, row upon row,

Tied to the racks with nowhere to go.

A garbled voice forms the public address,

A blue train glides in, the Heathrow Express.

More trains come and go, it's busy, then hush,

As people flock past, all in a rush.

Above all of this, majestic and tall

The Paddington arches, protecting us all.

Was that bloke still on The Lawn scraping his fiddle playing his violin? He was still there when I beat a retreat around 12:45, but was gone when I got back after 6pm - there seemed to be someone singing instead. Perhaps she was singing your poem?

Now if you had made the journey yesterday when I was in time to catch the 17:00 to wherever, I could have waved to you when your train arrived  at Reading - that would help to pass the time and take my mind of the next stage of my journey (which took me to Basingstoke).

The interplay between the Fiddler and the PA was such that neither was reasonably audible!

Edited by DIW

• RMweb Gold

The places and people RMweb reconnects us with! Several items there from Peter Murnaghan, whom I knew slightly, more than 50 years ago, when we were both junior clerks with BR. I think Peter left to become a transport planner with East Sussex CC. He was a very bright sort of chap, will have done well. 

• Like 2