SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Left Plymouth, had a free Times newspaper ( won't be doing the crossword). Still dark outside, or could be a very long tunnel...

What you do is sit there pondering the answers, just put any  old letter in the box. You leave the paper cross word page upwards on the table as you venture for a leak. Remember to position said paper in a way that when you return you can tell if anyone has tried to copy your answers because the paper would have been moved. Sit down, pick up the paper, glance at you fellow travelers and smile at the guilty looking one. 

What you do is sit there pondering the answers, just put any  old letter in the box. You leave the paper cross word page upwards on the table as you venture for a leak. Remember to position said paper in a way that when you return you can tell if anyone has tried to copy your answers because the paper would have been moved. Sit down, pick up the paper, glance at you fellow travelers and smile at the guilty looking one. 

Ohh you naughty boy Clive!

You could be even naughtier and pinch words from Yesterday's answers that fit the different sized boxes then shuffle them around and leave it half done 

You then leave it on the empty seat opposite - face up and wait to see who gets on the train and decides to have a go.

you'll be in stitches within five minutes as he/she tries to work it out!

• RMweb Premium

I think it's a combination of airsmoothing not being optimised for reverse running, and the wind direction. The down service showed a lot of billowing steam too.

4319780466_1ca724d762_b.jpgChurchill funeral train by David Harvey, on Flickr

4319048119_dd674eb665_b.jpgChurchill funeral train by David Harvey, on Flickr

Dave

Bit like me, it appears to have a bit of a front end gland problem, probably the middle lagging :sarcastichand: ......................that's why it was stopped/withdrawn shortly after no doubt?

Actually there is an urban myth that this loco wasn't actually Churchill......................

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Stubbers I didn't know you were allowed out of Kernow without a licence. Would that be a method of transporting Seaton Junction Up Building so as to avoid the aerobics/box tossing (no sniggering at the back/front/ sides) activity if the postal service? Second thoughts, may not be a good idea to get the tube when carrying a fairly large box.

Birmingham might be a better bet?

Incidentally, the GH was one of the last proper job named trains to be introduced and I believe has always been diesel powered? SWMBO used to catch that from Plymuff (staying with my parents at that time) to Taunton back in 1969 when she were on placement at Musgrove Park. Used to leave her bicyclette chained to a Taunton St'n fence over the weekend and it didn't get vandalised once. Those were the days. 

Are you there yet?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am somewhere, near a canal for the last few miles, no idea where I am though.

Lots of very modellable lineside scenes, all speeding past too quickly.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Once again there's an article in a recent HR mag which raises the return of the Southern route though Tavvy, amongst other potential routes return to service, so someone's still talking about it!

Well, at least talking doesn't cost anything!

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Bit like me, it appears to have a bit of a front end gland problem, probably the middle lagging :sarcastichand: ......................that's why it was stopped/withdrawn shortly after no doubt?

Actually there is an urban myth that this loco wasn't actually Churchill......................

I shall have to ask the Fireman (i.e the bloke who was the Fireman that day as I know him well - used to work with him in later years and my son sees him most weekends at a 7.25 inch gauge railway).

Good to see that Syubby has surmounted the B&H although he seems to have missed Crofton pumping station on the Kennet & Avon canal which might really have got him going (as well as the old M&SWJR signalbox hiding in ever increasing foliage at Savernake).

May I point out that among my (possibly too many) non-modelling hats is that of presenter on a community radio station, Beverley FM.  I have a programme at 5pm on Sundays called "John's Stroll Through The World Of Music" where I can and do play literally anything in the history of music from anywhere in the world.  I played the Robin Hood song earlier this month - did you by any chance hear it and it has remained with you despite the same programme containing The Gas Man Cometh by Flanders and Swan, Brahms' Lullaby and the wonderful Nights in White Satin by the Moody Blues ?

• Like 2

May I point out that among my (possibly too many) non-modelling hats is that of presenter on a community radio station, Beverley FM.  I have a programme at 5pm on Sundays called "John's Stroll Through The World Of Music" where I can and do play literally anything in the history of music from anywhere in the world.  I played the Robin Hood song earlier this month - did you by any chance hear it and it has remained with you despite the same programme containing The Gas Man Cometh by Flanders and Swan, Brahms' Lullaby and the wonderful Nights in White Satin by the Moody Blues ?

Ah I remember it well - most apposite as we are about to embark on major works...

"'Twas on a Monday morning that the gas man came to call

I couldn't turn the tap, wasn't getting gas at all.

He tore up all the skirting boards to try to find the main

And I had to call a carpenter to put them back again.."

"Oh it all makes work for the working man to do."

Still just as true 60 years after!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Have just passed through Liskeard, on The Golden Hind to Paddington...

Crikey Mr Stubbs, how old are you?  I guess Liskeard was on the coast in them days (and I bet Trago was trading then too).

• RMweb Gold

Exeter St D. No CK on the platform though, wishing me a continued safe journey.

It amuses me to think that (i) you lot might think that that was all I ever did, loitering to some unspecified purpose on a cold, Winter's platform, when there's a nice warm office in the panel just across the way and (ii) that I would feel the need to wish customers passengers a continued safe journey. Is there some unknown hazard on the journey ahead that requires people travelling on GWR to be wished good luck? Or is it merely that one wishes them good luck when using the lavatorial facilities? At least they (GWR) don't operate Vomiters.

• RMweb Premium

Ohh you naughty boy Clive!

Another game to play on a crowded train is "Why is Dave going that way?". It takes two to play. You wait until the train is going at speed, and another passes in the other direction.

One of you says in a louder than normal voice "Blimey, that was Dave." The other one responds "Why is Dave going that way?"  You then have to ad-lib a reason for Dave going the other  way. i.e. Has his mum's parrot died? It is the look on the faces of the other passengers of "how the hell did they see Dave".

Another game I use to play when there was still slam door stock on the suburban lines was the good night Id card game. There always seemed to be someone opposite me with a ID card strung around their neck. By the time we had got to Benthal Green I had read Mr Wainwright 20 times....Just as I was opening the door at Chlemsford I would turn round and say "Good night Mr Wainwright". Nearly always he would reply "Good night" then realise he didn't know me. 

• RMweb Premium

I was hoping to go up The Junction this morning having got up early to receive the posty with my Footprint. Nope, no posty AFAIK so far. Anyway I went up The Nature Reserve instead and got frozen as we had several short blizzards whilst I was checking out the birds,

Now then Mr Brien, have you played 'On The Slow Train'? I think I'd like that at my membrance do.

Pharty 

• Like 1