SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

New from Oxford Rail, any use up the Junction?

BOOM 1

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifa.png

Boom Boom.

B Brush.

Ideal but a bit before Ducky's time envelope.  One of the Drivers at a past depot of mine had been the Fireman on a Dean Goods on railway gun train during WWII and on one occasion he and his Driver worked the train through, without relief, from Devon to Dover via the LSW mainline and SJ.  However I don't think it the type of gun which Oxford claim to be producing as 'Gladiator' was 13.5 inch gun and I don't think it had made its way down west but was immediately deployed in the Dover area after conversion. (unless the barrel came from Devonport?).

Railway guns had minimal traverse so to change their bearing they were placed on a semi-circle of sharply curved track - probably almost as sharply curved as model railway track.

• RMweb Premium

BOOM 1

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifa.png

Boom Boom.

B Brush.

They were considering this as a delivery alternative of the dairy products to London. In the end it was used for speeding a passenger's journey to Seaton on a Sunday when the Branch was shut and the bus had failed.

Cannon Fibbottom

• RMweb Premium

BOOM 1

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifa.png

Boom Boom.

B Brush.

Actually that could be the one that was sent down Kernow in the war and parked on one of the Branches. I think it did fire a few rounds onto Dartmoor to wake up the locals.

Mike, I think it was, told me so it must be true.

Phlight Thebluetouchpaper.

• RMweb Premium

BOOM 1

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifa.png

Boom Boom.

B Brush.

That's deffo a SR Shunter on the end.........................

Does anyone think this might actually be an Oxford Crane to out do whoever it is doing the 45Tonner, but they have misread the plans?

Philth

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I have learnt something that I think even Spams might not have known or perhaps that admirable Sage, Dudders.

Some Nelsons were fitted with Merchant Navy style chimneys in the late 50s. Also, when loco's were fitted with AWS, the battery was fitted in different positions on the Driver's side. I'm not telling you the details as it might be a good Quiz (for prizes) question. Not just those pumped up LNER things that had 'detail differences'. 

So there you go.

Ben Gunn

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's deffo a SR Shunter on the end.........................

Does anyone think this might actually be an Oxford Crane to out do whoever it is doing the 45Tonner, but they have misread the plans?

Philth

Today I have learnt something that I think even Spams might not have known or perhaps that admirable Sage, Dudders.

Some Nelsons were fitted with Merchant Navy style chimneys in the late 50s. Also, when loco's were fitted with AWS, the battery was fitted in different positions on the Driver's side. I'm not telling you the details as it might be a good Quiz (for prizes) question. Not just those pumped up LNER things that had 'detail differences'. 

So there you go.

Ben Gunn

When I was a gun fitter in REME our weapons artificer (our sergeant major) was called Ben Gunn, seriously. He was a great bloke, always willing to put on his overalls and help.

Anyhow this here Oxford Boom Boom, if it is Bosh Buster then the propaganda that surrounded it is still filtering through. It never fired a shot in anger. It was a howitzer not a gun. When it was stationed in Kent it might have had just enough range to hit the beaches. Gladiator, Scene Shifter and Piece Maker , the similar looking  13.5 inch guns were worth feeding the crews rations as they could at least defend the beaches. If you read about them the myth they could fire on German naval activity in the Channel seems still to be out there.

The shunter in the photo above is an LMS Armstrong Whitworth but the SR numbers 1,2 and 3 were used as well.

Ah well it will keep the kids amused at exhibitions.

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I seem to have upset a few people on the new Oxford 5 plank wagon thread - didn't like to tell them I'm an O gauge modeller, so won't be buying any!

Gauge O

I shall try and resist going over there to drop in a sensible comment........... :triniti:

Phiol

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I seem to have upset a few people on the new Oxford 5 plank wagon thread - didn't like to tell them I'm an O gauge modeller, so won't be buying any!

Gauge O

You will have to try harder than that dear heart. There was only a mild tit#er of discomfort that I could see (my resistance was very short lived). You need to be called names and dismissed as a box opener or chequebook O gauge wibbler before you get a badge of honour. The highest accolade is to be suspended by 'The Mangement'. I have been called all sorts of exciting things and accused of needing to grow up on many occasions. What the poor so#s don't realise is that I am ashamed to admit that I do the 'teasing' on purpose. I have actually had a go at a couple of rather a lot of bigotted, patronising know alls and especially anyone that needs a good spanking and they have disappeared. Shame really as I am sure they are quite nice really.

So, now onto things of interest. The X Files is coming back.................Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss.

By the way, does anyone else find the programme on C4, The Biggest Little Railway In The World, slightly bizarre and have you noticed the RMWebber on there?

J. Ollydee 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Why resist? You know you want to!

Tim T aka Big Spoon

Well, I did have a look but it is very tame at the moment; not worth any serious intervention. However, the Big Gun thingy thread might be worth some time? 

Hugh Weapon

• RMweb Premium

Marazion has an excellent interesting museum, wear absorbent underwear - it is that funny!

I think it had a model railway display at one time? Can't really remember seeing it though but I was probably half asleep when i was there.

You all, I hope, know about the Model Shop in Bourton on the Water (excellent range of model railway stuff too) and there is also a large model railway attached to this shop as well (small charger for entry). http://www.bourtonmodelrailway.co.uk/

Good for mail order as well.

Phil 

• RMweb Premium

Just imagine these on a typical wet summers day, stuck indoors with nothing to do, windows all steamed up. 

Maybe there is! :nomention:

Brian.

Beetle drive

Rummy

Monopoly

Scrabble

I-Spy

I assume that's what you had in mind Brian?

• Like 1