SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Are they push-pull trailers? The signal onto the bridge is "off", as if the loco's pushing.

Yes, looking at the driver/fireman chappie, you could well be right - unless he's looking where he's been and not where he's going.

Are they of the LMS variety? Just wondering if this was an ex-midland line...

D. Rivel

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Now I've remembered "Shackles away Samuel", wherever that was from, however I still can't remember the Fireball XL5 phrase as they were about to take off or something. Maybe it wasn't that programme? Perhaps it was Supercar?

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Talking drivel is now being frowned upon on the P Class thread - you have been warned!

So here's a pic of the Severn Bridge... THE Severn Bridge.

attachicon.gifSevern Bridge THE.jpg

It was a joint G*R and MR venture linking Berkeley Rd to Lydney Town. Some boat hit the bridge in 1960 and rendered the bridge knackered beyond repair, so they closed the line.

Now what have you done to upset the we loved RTR gang? What are you doing on the P thread? Weren't they used the other side of the Southern to the Lost Somewhere West of Reading?

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Yes, looking at the driver/fireman chappie, you could well be right - unless he's looking where he's been and not where he's going.

Are they of the LMS variety? Just wondering if this was an ex-midland line...

D. Rivel

No, they are both GW build.  The dowdy looking one appears to be one of two [4350 or 4364] to diagram A33 converted from a D117 brake third.  The other is probably one of the four A34s [1668 - 1671] converted from D125s.  They have a slightly different profile and deeper windows.  Both types had a long association with the Severn and Wye Joint, of which the line illustrated was a part.

John Lewis does not give a reason for their allocation and construction but it looks like a bit of an economy drive to me.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

It was a joint G*R and MR venture linking Berkeley Rd to Lydney Town. Some boat hit the bridge in 1960 and rendered the bridge knackered beyond repair, so they closed the line.

Now what have you done to upset the we loved RTR gang? What are you doing on the P thread? Weren't they used the other side of the Southern to the Lost Somewhere West of Reading?

Twas a petrol barge I believe.  The intention was to repair the bridge but a it got struck several times after so it was demolished between 1967 - 1970.

I didn't know that then but I do now...

Severn Railway Bridge

• RMweb Premium

Weren't they used the other side of the Southern to the Lost Somewhere West of Reading?

Yeah but I loves them SECR tings. To be honest, a P (Bluebell I think) was the first steam loco I had a brake van ride behind as a (smaller) boy. So sentimental reasons really.

I shall be making up for it by getting a B4 though, so the Eastleigh in me can rest easy.

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Just been up The Junction. It still works, however my Spammy Spifire is carp and runs like a slug. I'm deciding if I should unwrap the Pecoboo concrete parts now that the owner of Mutton is back at rest and could be available for weathering advice. Oh, decisions, decisions. Maybe I should watch Dark Hard Sun  to make myself miserable and wonder if life could really be that violent and if MI5 are that thuggish?

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Just been up The Junction. It still works, however my Spammy Spifire is carp and runs like a slug. I'm deciding if I should unwrap the Pecoboo concrete parts now that the owner of Mutton is back at rest and could be available for weathering advice. Oh, decisions, decisions. Maybe I should watch Dark Sun  to make myself miserable and wonder if life could really be that violent and if MI5 are that thuggish?

Ar$£

She's never been right since Lewisham 

• RMweb Gold

Twas a petrol barge I believe.  The intention was to repair the bridge but a it got struck several times after so it was demolished between 1967 - 1970.

Some superb photos of the bridge and it's demolition in the Neil Parkhouse (Lightmoor Press) Forest of Dean colour album (one of the series covering Gloucestershire).

• RMweb Gold

Are they push-pull trailers? The signal onto the bridge is "off", as if the loco's pushing.

Yes, push-pull was very common on the Berkeley Road to Lydney Town services at the time.

What was rather incredible, once the bridge had been closed due to the accident involving the petrol barge, was that school services between Lydney Town and Sharpness continued, running via Gloucester, until they were finally withdrawn. I believe that this is the reason that 5420 was shedded at Lydney for a while in the early 1960s.

• RMweb Premium

Didn't Lewisham become Dartmouth?

Dunno, I was thinking of the accident with the lady Spit 21C166 (the first big loco I bought with my own pocket money from the Pram & Toy Shop in Midsomer Norton for the princely sum of £25 - GWR 101 Holden Tank was the first bought in St Helier C.I. - both of which I still have)

Don't know nuffin' about this Dartmouth business guv.

• Like 1