SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Maybe donating blood in the wintertime is not the best of ideas for you.

Worry not about SOSJ, you have made some cracking progress this year and it's looking really good.

Sit in your favourite chair, with some research material to hand, and effectively hibernate until you feel much better.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is nothing to do with SOSJ, well almost nothing. I've just remembered that three years back, when many of my ongoing problems with inflammatory conditions commenced after a series of Virus infections, I became quite run down and unwell after a blood doning session for the first time in my doning life. A couple of weeks back I donated and I usually have felt good after doing that the last coupole of years. Not this time as I became exhausted and have felt run down since and then on Friday I developed this damn chesty cold or whatever it is. I seem to have fallen back to being feeble and uncomfortable having recently being more on the up and that is very, very annoying indeed. So, little progress yet again up The Junction and little motivation to do much at all. However, I realise this time that I need to get a ####### grip and get on with things and stop whinging.

Speech completed.

P

You are not whinging.

Don't force it Ducky. If you do and things don't go well, then you will feel all the worse. Remember, this train lark is meant to relax and give us enjoyment.

Get well soon, von Beak.

We will look after the shop.......

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

Hmmmmm Dr. Duck

A very wise consultant who looked after me for many years commented about how certain things in my life seemed to precede occasional relapses in my breathing.

"I don't believe in coincidence" he used to say - the two events appear to be related.

Dare I suggest the same might be true vis-a-vis your good citizenship?

• RMweb Premium

Maybe donating blood in the wintertime is not the best of ideas for you.

Worry not about SOSJ, you have made some cracking progress this year and it's looking really good.

Sit in your favourite chair, with some research material to hand, and effectively hibernate until you feel much better.

Hi Phil and Stu

What our Welsh exile has said is wonderful advice.

For once I am going to be very very serious, donating blood is very honorable thing to do. 75 donations under my belt and ten years working as a charge nurse with the National Blood Service, plus an equal number of years seeing it help save lives, I might have a slight idea about what I am going to say. Stop donating. When most people donate there is no side effects. With a small minority donating can lower their immune responses. They only way that is discovered is by some poor sod being unwell soon after donating, and it has now happened twice. Don't feel bad about giving up you have helped many people with the donations you have given. Do let your blood center know so they stop sending invitations to you.

I think everyone on here knows of someone who has received a blood transfusion and we are all grateful for the donations you have given to help others. Well done.

Now go and batter some youngsters over the head and get them to donate.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having read Mr.M's advice, I can only agree. Having done 50+ donations myself, and never having felt ill afterwards, it is sound advice that if you do feel unwell, stop.

Maybe an advert for blood doning volunteers could be added to the forum banners?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I had to stop donating due to medication issues a few years ago.

I thought about just making a loan, but that foundered on the sandbanks of gross impracticality.

Don't beat yourself up, Quackydiddlydinky, you deserve much better health than this and perhaps it is now the time to suspend the donating and take a break.

We'll continue to post whimsical rhubarb on here to keep you alert, though.

• RMweb Premium

I had to stop donating due to medication issues a few years ago.

I thought about just making a loan, but that foundered on the sandbanks of gross impracticality.

Don't beat yourself up, Quackydiddlydinky, you deserve much better health than this and perhaps it is now the time to suspend the donating and take a break.

We'll continue to post whimsical rhubarb on here to keep you alert, though.

Now you have done it CK. Rhubarb Crumble........oh for a pudding. Mrs M. is on another diet so puddings are do it yourself at the moment. :cry:

• RMweb Gold

Now you have done it CK. Rhubarb Crumble........oh for a pudding. Mrs M. is on another diet so puddings are do it yourself at the moment. :cry:

You mean she won't selflessly toil away for hours in the kitchen purely to produce something that she herself won't be eating?

• RMweb Premium

I do already have a 27" one - the problem with tube is that content is so hit and miss.

I managed to find enough focus to tidy up the workbench in the garage this morning, then had to sit down for an hour and read a book!

So not me!

Mine is 12 inches but I don't use it as a rule.

I thank you.

• RMweb Premium

I was a platelet donor at one point of my blood donor carer. This was a monthly donation of plasma , they stuck the needle in me and my blood was whizzed about in a machine. They were kind enough to give back my red cells but they kept the platelets and the plasma. That is until my employer tried to kill me, well made me unwell. To stop the blood clotting while being churned about in the machine they add some anti-coagulate and a wee bit did get given back to me and made me poorly, twice. So I had to stop. I was able to carry on giving normal blood that was until I had what the quacks thought was cardiac problems and they pumped me full of medication. I think it was easier to give up smoking and drinking than it was to stop being a blood donor.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

My Farther was a Blood Donner, amassing some  26 stars and his 25 Badge, but I get ill just thinking of a Blood Test, and of the 4 Blood Test's I've had, I've ended up in A & E twice, once with a suspected Heart Attack.

I guess I just don't like needles.

• RMweb Premium

I was a platelet donor at one point of my blood donor carer. This was a monthly donation of plasma , the stuck the needle in me and my blood was whizzed about in a machine. They were kind enough to give back my red cells but they kept the platelets and the plasma. That is until my employer tried to kill me, well made me unwell. To stop the blood clotting while being churned about in the machine they add some anti-coagulate and a wee bit did get given back to me and made me poorly, twice. So I had to stop. I was able to carry on giving normal blood that was until I had what the quacks thought was cardiac problems and they pumped me full of medication. I think it was easier to give up smoking and drinking than it was to stop being a blood donor.

I had to stop after more than 25 years when I moved to Australia. They won't accept blood from anyone who lived in the UK in the 1990s in case we still have Mad Cow Disease.

J. S. Gummer.

• RMweb Premium

My Farther was a Blood Donner, amassing some  26 stars and his 25 Badge, but I get ill just thinking of a Blood Test, and of the 4 Blood Test's I've had, I've ended up in A & E twice, once with a suspected Heart Attack.

I guess I just don't like needles.

You are just the person I use to like when I was on the blunt end of the needle. :yes:

FWIW

When I used to go it was held in a church hall which was also used as a youth club.

For some quirky reason I seemed to get the bed which was directly below a dart which had been thrown into the wood panelled ceiling ! True !

As the ceiling was about 18' high no one seemed to be bothered about recovering the dart. I've often wondered whether it ever fell under its own volition.

• RMweb Premium

I had to stop after more than 25 years when I moved to Australia. They won't accept blood from anyone who lived in the UK in the 1990s in case we still have Mad Cow Disease.

J. S. Gummer.

That was the period I worked for the NBS, it nearly got to the point where anyone who had eaten beef would not be able to donate, so that would have left a few Hindus and veggies left to donate and they were in the group who wouldn't always have a high enough haemoglobin level to give blood....

Have you noticed that most of us who should have died of new variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease, those of us who ate Mac Ds in the 90s, are still knocking about or found something else to finish our lives with.

• RMweb Premium

That was the period I worked for the NBS, it nearly got to the point where anyone who had eaten beef would not be able to donate, so that would have left a few Hindus and veggies left to donate and they were in the group who wouldn't always have a high enough haemoglobin level to give blood....

Have you noticed that most of us who should have died of new variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease, those of us who ate Mac Ds in the 90s, are still knocking about or found something else to finish our lives with.

But we're all mad - mad, I tell you...

Oh bu##er. I had forgotten that I must have Bird Flu, that's what this is all about. Half this thread is about so##ing illness or mice or Brexit and all the other sh1t that has been going on. 

Grasper Bo####ks

Well with a "handle" of Mallard60022 what else are you going to suffer from?

Coat, hat, exit stage left........

Tim T

Oh bu##er. I had forgotten that I must have Bird Flu, that's what this is all about. Half this thread is about so##ing illness or mice or Brexit and all the other sh1t that has been going on. 

Grasper Bo####ks

I was going to get the thread back on track with a pic of Nigella cooking breakfast on the shovel on the footplate of a spam can, but google has failed me. Just use your imagination.