SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Nobody touches the Joy Division, nobody.

I whole heartedly agree with you there,sir!

This disturbing fact was unknown to me until now and I shall never again look upon the 'orrocks in the same light!

Dead Soul ..s

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought  the joy division was something completely different that was illustrated in an Indian book about 'interesting exercises', or was a fun name for a junction.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Ah the Joy of the KS. I prefer the Radio Times and a nice cup of Bovril.

Now then, what's happening in the loft? Nowt, but I will be up there tomorrow if I feel as good as I do at the moment.

I am distracted by wanting to get to the bottom of something (not using the above mentioned book but using Mr Harris' naughty book of LNER Coaches). Wot you on about I hear you cry?

Well I am faffing with a dining car conversion that was going to be a Gresley D144 Dining 1st, but when I had a good check on details, D144s were 9' 3" and had recessed doors. The conversion sides are already made and  'flush' (no sniggering at the back) and the donor UF has Angle iron Trusses (fine for a D144). So I decide I must have D10c sides. So I checks Mr Harris and it says D10cs are 9' 3" over the handles but my Mr Isinglass diagrams says nope, D10cs were Standard width and that was 8' 9" and 9' over the handles. So which of them is correct? As you all know, I know everything there is to know about Gresley coaches even down to the species of woodworm that infested their frames and panels and then the exact type of steel used in later years. I even know the daughter of the son of the bloke that worked at the Plant and fitted the toilets to these coaches.

I'm happy to carry on and do either a replacement set of Turnbuckle Trusses so it becomes a D10c, or just do a D144 and ignore the flush sides (who would notice the lack of 1mm recess?), but I am intrigued that Mr Harris might be incorrect in this particular detail.

So my mighty mates, what is your verdict as you all know loads about the LNER and Gresley Coaches do you not?

I can't seem to log on (no sniggering again please) to the LNER Forum so that's why I am desperate.

Please help and old dick  duck.

Ar$e

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I used a Kirk Kits diagram 10somefink for my breakdown mess and riding van. See me 'Anging 'Ill layout.

Quite a few RKFs were used in breakdown trains, in the late 50s ER refurbished them with new cookers etc only for another part of BR to introduce the Mk1 catering coaches about a week later.

• RMweb Premium

Never mind fitting the bogs Phil, there is a house in York that a friend of mine (who had better remain nameless) who became quite senior a civil engineer in BR and successors, bought some years ago that had wonderful panelling in the hallway.  All Teak.  Familiar colour.  The house's previous owner had worked, and I think was a foreman at a certain carriage works.....not far from the house.  The family selling the house had been going to paint it all white to help sell the house, happily they couldn't be bothered.  Struggling back on topic (oh wasn't that a Southern layout???) I bet he knew about the coach details!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I went in there once. I was collecting a Shed permit for 83D. I did not use the Urinals as i was much, much younger then.

Thought it would be fun to do a visit officially after about 6 years of bunking. Sadly it was 1964 and just before it (Laira that is, by then 84A )closed for ever. There was actually a Castle there.....I almost fainted. Somewhere I have a photo of that Castle....................

P

I have found the photo of the Castle. It were 4088 (bet you can't remember what it was without checking your ABC). I shall attempt to reproduce it here tomorrow.

It was an 85A loco in 1959 but it has no Shed plate in the pic so could have been allocated anywhere but was probably at Bristol to cover for carp and broken Warships. :nono:

Philth.

• Like 2

Nempnett Thrubwell was 'part of my patch' near the metropolis of Ubley. Not only did I know how to get there, I also knew how to get back. If you've been there, you'll know what I mean (assuming you got back, of course).

I liked her until she covered Joy Division songs.  Now her name is not to be said out loud in my house.

Nobody touches the Joy Division, nobody.

Can I interest you in some souvenir merchandise?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK. Better sit down everyone as modelling has taken place.

For years I have been postponing trying to build a Southern Pride Bulleid Kitchten Car kit as it has printed sides that need sticking to the SP hard plastic sides. I have also been wondering if Comet sides (Bulleid BSK) might be OK to fit on the same SP hard plastic sides.

This morning I weakened and lo an experiment is taking place.

post-2326-0-67089100-1462965443_thumb.jpg

Top one is SP plassi printed side on SP hard plastic side.

Lower one is the Comet side (about 1mm too long for the SP side), on a SP hard plastic side.

I used Evostick on both but have messed up the SP printed side just a little (can't see that here of course). I can get replacement SP parts if I need them. I will need some replacement hard sides anyway as I've just done one SP side and one Comet side (different coach Diagrams) on the two hard sides provided for the KC Kit!

I'm not happy with the SP 'stick on' printed sides at the moment but could get better at fitting them I suppose. My glue application needs to follow the SP advice far more closely (new small tube with pin hole nozzle only) not the old tube I've been using for months and was too lazy to replace this morning.

The Comet side looks OK so far, but I have not yet 'offered it up' to the other SP parts.

If both experiments are actually OK I shall get some more SP hard sides and a set of SP stick on sides and finish the orginal KC kit (probably) and put the other Comet side on another SP hard plastic side and use further SP spares to complete a BSK coach. 

If the Comet side experiment does not 'fit' the SP parts I shall remove that Comet side and use it as below*.

Soon I'm going to hack a Baccy Bulleid and try fitting *Comet Bulleid BSK sides to that; I'm told the sides are a tad long for this conversion as well, but that's not really a problem. I shall take off a mill or so at the Guard's end (of each Comet) side if necessary.   This should be no more difficult than the conversions I have do with other coaches.

What I have not done yet is to see if Comet (and other brass) sides will fit the SP parts, but not using the hard plastic sides; i.e. will they rest on the SP ends and floor frame without the support of the hard plastic sides?

Fun to come perhaps? 

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 11