SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

The only things that sharp are a light sabre and DEATH's scythe from Discworld - neither of which are real!

Thou has never seen Madonna's pointy support garment then?

Ar$e

Sorry Phil

My comment yesterday was not a serious one, hence calling the train set "Sitdown Junction".  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

We all go through phases when no or little modelling gets done, u'know when the mojo clears off or for the serious modeller, "When one suffers from modeller's block".

I've been taking tablets for my block and they haven't worked yet. However, there are rumblings and I thought I just heard a gurgle.

Actually 'Sitdown Junction' would be a classic name for a layout (with a Junction, or where there once was a Junction).

Yea. 

'Sound of Music' not big across the pond then? My apologies if I assumed too much...

We all know 'Julie" now we know to which one.  However, she is not generally associated with the type of statuesque ladies who normally brighten up SOS.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Do not try this at home dear readers. Last evening, whilst 'tidying up' a couple of built, nicely weathered and used van kits wot I have acquired, I spilled some Humbrol Liquid Poly on my workstation. The fumes were quite overpowering and so I abandoned the Conservatory. However, for some strange reason the fumes seem to have awakened my modelling mojo and I finished those two vans this morning and am contemplating a loft visit tomorrow.

In case anyone hasn't discovered this product

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/40ml-mr-cement-s-mr-hobby.html?fee=1&fep=1332&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_shopping

It is brilliant for putting plastiglaze in plastic kits where some glazing may be required (e.g. Parkside LNER lwb van).  

Not sure who told me about it last year so apologies to whoever that was.

I know that cockpit pva glue stuff is useful and can be used on metal coach sides for glazing (recommended), but this is great for just plastic and it does not cloud the glazing at all.

Hussar.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The stuff I use for a clear glazing adhesive is "Glue'n'Glaze" by Deluxe Materials, obtained from my local model aircraft shop. It's good, but not a mojo reviver. Any other interesting side effects with this stuff you're on? Has Mrs. M been in the conservatory??

• RMweb Gold

Here's another bit of information for you.

The tower block on Plymouth station, known these days as 'InterCity House', was opened in 1963 by Dr Beeching and apparently declared a 'white elephant' at that same time.

However, this was a structure built when Britain still (just) had the remains of an Empire. I've always liked the fact that the gents urinals on each floor, which are very large, standing ceramic affairs, are labelled 'The Zambesi'.

I've always liked the fact that the gents urinals on each floor, which are very large, standing ceramic affairs, are labelled 'The Zambesi'.

Weren't these known as Plimufs answer to the "Cistern Chapel"?

• RMweb Premium

The tower block on Plymouth station, known these days as 'InterCity House', was opened in 1963 by Dr Beeching and apparently declared a 'white elephant' at that same time.

However, this was a structure built when Britain still (just) had the remains of an Empire. I've always liked the fact that the gents urinals on each floor, which are very large, standing ceramic affairs, are labelled 'The Zambesi'.

I am hungry not for food but more information relating to the above post. :sungum:

Why would anyone want to go for a wee on every floor? :scratchhead:

More to the point why did you? :dontknow: :dontknow:

• RMweb Gold

I'm told it's an 'age thing'.

It is, and needs to be watched! No, not while you're doing it, but reasons why! 

Never worked anywhere much west of London, but a couple of colleagues were at Plymouth as Area Manager - Charles Nicholls, whose grandfather had had a hand in the GWR rule book, so he told us, and Jim Collins, who had preceded Deb as filing clerk in Passenger General at Essex House, Croydon in the '70s. In that building there were also loos on every floor, but on the 7th floor, where all the officers dwelt, the loo had a Yale lock. On the 8th floor, someone had stuck a label on the loo door "For the use of second class passengers"!

That's what I love about this forum - in the midst of al the whimsy someone drops in a damned useful fact!

Narrowly avoided having to rake moss out of the lawn today! Downside is SWMBO has commissioned a tradesman to do it instead.

• RMweb Premium

I went in there once. I was collecting a Shed permit for 83D. I did not use the Urinals as i was much, much younger then.

Thought it would be fun to do a visit officially after about 6 years of bunking. Sadly it was 1964 and just before it (Laira that is, by then 84A )closed for ever. There was actually a Castle there.....I almost fainted. Somewhere I have a photo of that Castle....................

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

It is, and needs to be watched! No, not while you're doing it, but reasons why! 

Never worked anywhere much west of London, but a couple of colleagues were at Plymouth as Area Manager - Charles Nicholls, whose grandfather had had a hand in the GWR rule book, so he told us, and Jim Collins, who had preceded Deb as filing clerk in Passenger General at Essex House, Croydon in the '70s. In that building there were also loos on every floor, but on the 7th floor, where all the officers dwelt, the loo had a Yale lock. On the 8th floor, someone had stuck a label on the loo door "For the use of second class passengers"!

Charles Nicholls grandad was at one time DOS at Gloucester plus various other GWR operating appointments although I haven't come across his name on the Rules & Regs committee minutes (I have a  complete set for one committee but none for the Superintendent's Conference which is probably the one he attended).  Charles used to hold a garden party on the weekend of the Fairford International Airshow and proudly displayed in subsequent years a couple of bits of carbon fibre which had once been part of a Mig which finished up in lots of tiny pieces, midair, one year at the show.

Now what was this thread about ... ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Charles Nicholls grandad was at one time DOS at Gloucester plus various other GWR operating appointments although I haven't come across his name on the Rules & Regs committee minutes (I have a complete set for one committee but none for the Superintendent's Conference which is probably the one he attended). Charles used to hold a garden party on the weekend of the Fairford International Airshow and proudly displayed in subsequent years a couple of bits of carbon fibre which had once been part of a Mig which finished up in lots of tiny pieces, midair, one year at the show.

Charles's parents had some impossibly posh address in Cheltenham. No road name or anything vulgar like that. Last I heard from him he was Commercial Manager for the West Coast TOC-in-waiting. No idea what happened when Virgin too over. He had prepared, with a agency, I suspect, a strategy to be presented to the West Coast Board. It was VHS format. He'd been reviewing it the night before, but when he got to work the next day, discovered the copy in the case was Star Wars...... Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium

Charles Nicholls grandad was at one time DOS at Gloucester plus various other GWR operating appointments although I haven't come across his name on the Rules & Regs committee minutes (I have a  complete set for one committee but none for the Superintendent's Conference which is probably the one he attended).  Charles used to hold a garden party on the weekend of the Fairford International Airshow and proudly displayed in subsequent years a couple of bits of carbon fibre which had once been part of a Mig which finished up in lots of tiny pieces, midair, one year at the show.

I seem to remember that a year or so ago it had something to do with trains.

• RMweb Premium

What's a train then? I was too busy today to bother with trains (apart from partly completing another ex Chivers SR D1386 20T Mineral Wagon), as I was reading my new book wot I have got. Pages 15 - 19 in  Southern Infrastructure A Second Selection - very useful pics of SOSJage. Thanks to Norway chaps for letting me know about that book.

I actually really enjoy reading about the sort of stuff posted on here. It is great fun (usually); even the weird references to upright Urinals in Tower Blocks.

Philth

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

What's a train then? I was too busy today to bother with trains (apart from partly completing another ex Chivers SR D1386 20T Mineral Wagon), as I was reading my new book wot I have got. Pages 15 - 19 in  Southern Infrastructure A Second Selection - very useful pics of SOSJage. Thanks to Norway chaps for letting me know about that book.

I actually really enjoy reading about the sort of stuff posted on here. It is great fun (usually); even the weird references to upright Urinals in Tower Blocks.

Philth

Never visited the urinals there although I did hold several meetings in that building - alternative facilities were available on the train back eastwards if aiming for an early finish or in the very useful building at the foot of Pennycomequick Hill and bearing a  similar name to said hill.

I missed the upright urinals - was that when I was asleep?

Actually you've got to be massively inaccurate to miss upright urinals - sad really that they too are a thing of the past.

having scrolled back to find the discussion I now recall that Zambezi was actually the name of the flushing mechanism.

Don't ask how I know that!

• RMweb Premium

Never visited the urinals there although I did hold several meetings in that building - alternative facilities were available on the train back eastwards if aiming for an early finish or in the very useful building at the foot of Pennycomequick Hill and bearing a  similar name to said hill.

The Pennycomequick was the postys' pub I seem to remember.

Aiming for an early finish in urinals can lead to embarrassment.

Ar$e

Edited by Mallard60022