SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Penzance is abroad (don't tell Stubby)

Philth

One of Mrs Stationmaster's past relatives (a long way past) was sentenced to Transportation by the Court at Penzance.  I ask you - what a way to treat somebody who was feeling a bit cold so they started a fire,  maybe the Judge thought he'd be warmer in Australia?

• RMweb Premium

One of Mrs Stationmaster's past relatives (a long way past) was sentenced to Transportation by the Court at Penzance. I ask you - what a way to treat somebody who was feeling a bit cold so they started a fire, maybe the Judge thought he'd be warmer in Australia?

Elements of my family claim to be descendants of the famous convict (highwaywoman) Mary Bryant. Also transported, but worked her way back home.

Edited by dhjgreen

One of Mrs Stationmaster's past relatives (a long way past) was sentenced to Transportation by the Court at Penzance.  I ask you - what a way to treat somebody who was feeling a bit cold so they started a fire,  maybe the Judge thought he'd be warmer in Australia?

One of my Dads relatives was also Transpoted  / Deported from Bodmin Goal and is mentioned in Ned Kellys book apparently and died with him.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

One of my Dads relatives was also Transpoted  / Deported from Bodmin Goal and is mentioned in Ned Kellys book apparently and died with him.

Lot of 'em about Andy - although Mrs Stationmaster's relative who spent some time in Bodmin Gaol wasn't transported.  Nothing like that in my family apparently, just a couple of archbishops and a major slave owner.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been to Plymouth only once. I was unwell while on exercise on Bodmin Moor, so I was sent to the navy hospital in Plymouth. The matloe medic who was taking my temperature etc. called me a "pongo" so I asked him when was the last time he had been on board a ship? It turned out he never had, so I was quite pleased to inform him that I was regularly at sea. I was with 17 Port and Maritime Workshop at the time and would go out on the landing craft if I done any work on them. Had I felt better I might have said "Up yours Skate." The armed forces are so polite to each other. 

Reading the above, you lot didn't 'alf come from some rough families...........how many distant "Botany Bay Con" cousins have you all got?

• Like 2

Over half of my mother's siblings ( she was one of 11) went to OZ voluntarily on the £10 passage - out of six that went, only two came back.

As a result of them coming from a good Irish family I now appear to related to around 1/4 of the population of Melbourne

G'day Poms

• Like 3

Bliddy hell boy, I was bred in Peverell, just across the road from the Co-oP and the Playpark in Pounds Park. However I was hatched in Devonport. I have yet to grow up.

Ar$e

You can get ointment for that condition but it may just be the elastic is too tight?

Ar$e

While you lot were born/bred in Peverell, I was working as a lad in Pounds House in the fifties.  Now how old does that make me!  We lived in Mannamead with full view of the GW main line which is now obscured by housing.

Brian

Brian.

• Like 2

While you lot were born/bred in Peverell, I was working as a lad in Pounds House in the fifties.  Now how old does that make me!  We lived in Mannamead with full view of the GW main line which is now obscured by housing.

Brian

Brian.

Dad was borne in Bute Road Manamead, hahah he would have been 99 now.

• RMweb Premium

Brian

Brian.

Pounds House was a bit of a mystery place when we used Pounds Park (very frequently in school holidays in the 50s). Before I left Plymuff in 1966 I believe a cafe was opened in at least part of the House. The Park Keeper for Pounds Park was really strict. We had to go to Central Park to play Footy or Cricket.

I loved all that park area and had grand times and also at the Boating Lakes at Milehouse. The south end of Central Park (near the Station and the GPO Sorting Office) was a bit out of our Peverell boys territory, that is until we were old enough to be 'courting'. There was a spooky and disused Resevoir (The Ressy) half way to the station. That was a great place to play.

I think I need to go and revisit 'old haunts' down there before I get too old to enjoy the memories.

P

• Like 2

I seem to remember Cycle Races around Central Park that I could watch from my Grand Parents when I stayed there, about 1958 ish, and I had a Yacht that I sailed in the Boating Lake.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nothing much to report from today except the fitting of loads of 'droppers' ready for the up and coming BUS runs. I also fixed a couple more sub micros as mentioned earlier and  stuck three P11s in position with tidy and 'improved' wire looms. I've also sited the 'west end' Hex Juicer and that is wired up and ready. The 'east end' Hex loom is in place but I'm not fitting that yet as I'm going to be working in that area over the weekend/next week. Terminal blocks are so very useful for this sort of job on 'off scene' areas.

I've also prepped a load more droppers as there are loads needed for the Fiddle tracks; very theraputic sitting quietly doing that with the rain pattering on the roof.

P

• Like 5

Nothing much to report from today except the fitting of loads of 'droppers' ready for the up and coming BUS runs. I also fixed a couple more sub micros as mentioned earlier and  stuck three P11s in position with tidy and 'improved' wire looms. I've also sited the 'west end' Hex Juicer and that is wired up and ready. The 'east end' Hex loom is in place but I'm not fitting that yet as I'm going to be working in that area over the weekend/next week. Terminal blocks are so very useful for this sort of job on 'off scene' areas.

I've also prepped a load more droppers as there are loads needed for the Fiddle tracks; very theraputic sitting quietly doing that with the rain pattering on the roof.

P

DCC     ========     2 WIRES  ========== Oh yeah love it, 

I've fitted what seemed like 200,000 Billion Trillion to North Road today, (you can see the influence on the Layout name).

I've never used a Frog Jucier though, I thinks it's cruel. hahhahha.

Dad was working at Saltash when I was born and Mum would take me in the Pram over on the Chain Ferry to see him Lunchtimes, I was only a few Months old so I don't remember it, but probably WET my self on the Ferry, :O  hhahahha :no:  :no: :no:  

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, it is a small world A. Sadly you wouldn't have sampled the chippy just down the road from the Stadium then. You also would have missed this inspiring ditty that began

" Come to Plymouth Stadium, see The Devils ride..." . I can remember that Speedway Bike smell and the lovely chips as well. Happy days.

My first lady friend came from Plymstock. They had some very nice ladies there as you discovered.  That St Judes Church is impressive; never went in it. Friary was a lovely looking Station as well but shut before I got a chance to use it for service trains. I did catch a PRC Brake Van Special to Turnchapel from there though, can't remember the date.

Seems like only a couple of years ago.

OK back to wires and bits of things like that as it is getting very close to when I have to test with DCC due to the track isolations and the Juicers over the double Junctions.

Philth

I think I've posted this before but you can't have too much of a good thing.

post-21039-0-15941400-1460160122_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Over half of my mother's siblings ( she was one of 11) went to OZ voluntarily on the £10 passage - out of six that went, only two came back.

As a result of them coming from a good Irish family I now appear to related to around 1/4 of the population of Melbourne

G'day Poms

Much of Captain Howey's (of Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch fame) money came from family property holdings in Melbourne. They owned a good deal of what is now the CBD and Howey Place still exists as a laneway off Little Collins Street.

DCC     ========     2 WIRES  ========== Oh yeah love it, 

I've fitted what seemed like 200,000 Billion Trillion to North Road today, (you can see the influence on the Layout name).

I've never used a Frog Jucier though, I thinks it's cruel. hahhahha.

There are only two wires but, like the Atlantic Coast Express, they run in several portions.

• Like 2

Also transported, but worked her way back home.

I believe that would have been quite a rare thing.

Many of those who were transported did quite well for themselves here later on after they had served their time.

Others just...um ...died from disease and so forth.

Edited by The Blue Streak