SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Oh yes. On the other hand, the wipers went like the clappers when you were stopped at traffic lights.

The three-speed gearbox had reverse where first should have been. That caught me out more than once. No synchromesh either, so you had to learn quickly how to double-declutch.

As well as all that, you couldn't put anything in the boot because of the big hole that was there and it would do about 30 miles per gallon of petrol (2 star of course), 50 miles to a pint of engine oil and 50 miles to a pint of back axle oil. If you remembered all three you were laughing, but forget any one of them and it would stop dead.

There's a story about the old Ice Factory roundabout in Derby on a foggy morning too, but I'll save that for another time.

Happy days.

And a moderrn one now we've seen the pic.  The only proper PoP was the sit up & beg variety.

BTW mine was heavy on oil - about the same miles per pint as it did miles to the gallon on petrol - UNTIL.  I was working at Reading DD and talking to some one one day he said he knew the ideal answer to oil thirsty side valve Ford engines so I duly followed his advice and was immediately getting about 100 miles to the pint, using Hymek sump oil ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't remember putting any oil in my heap. Must have done. It was a good motor that we used around Redhill from about 1970 until 1972. Unfortunately some ar$e decided to wipe out the front end as poor SWMBO was negotiating a roundabout. He hadn't seen her on the roundabout as he pulled onto it he said as he shouted at her and then drove off not giving his details. SWMBO was shocked and didn't get the number and neither did anyone else. We were not insured for damage, just whatever it was  third party, fire and theft! We thought we couldn't really afford the cost of repair and so lost that motor until dear late Mother in law helped us out as SWMBO was also about to produce No2 son. Mini Traveller next! That was a great little car until it started to rust.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Can't resist prolonging this Pop column as my Dad in 1949 owned the posher Anglia.  Waited two years for it in those days.   I was in my seventeenth  year and just passed the test so me an a couple of mates decided to borrow the car for a ride.  Now my father was a bit of a stickler for looking after his car and if I put the petrol in, he took care of the rest, oil, water, etc.  So we headed for the Moors and just outside Roborough, the car died!  No oil!  Luckily there was a Power petrol station there and had to fill the sump all the way so it must have run dry!  To my amazement and good fortune, it started right away and never seemed to suffer any ill effects for the rest  of its life and was sold on.  Of course, I never told my Dad!

Brian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's a bit modern. My first one was the sit up and beg type.

My dad once had one of those - an Anglia (anglebox) I think, not a Pop. I've got a model of it for my layout - JLP 761.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, the famous run to Roborough (Sunday afternoons in our case). There had been an airfield there in the war I think and people used to let kids drive on the old tarmac bits; or is that just my fantasy brain telling porkies?

P

• RMweb Premium

Ohhh let's see a pic.

P

All right. You'll need your binoculars and you have to promise not to laugh at the steps leading to the road bridge that isn't there yet.

3545 HP is there on the far right as well, and so is the grey Moggie Minor 145 XMT, which belonged to my grandad.

post-21039-0-33505700-1457168992_thumb.jpg

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

No, after WW2, old disused airfields were the favourite place for doing driving lessons. Acres of space, zilch traffic, and enough room for the "instructor", usually a family member, in the family car, not dual drive, to correct mistakes before things got out of hand. I used to sit in the back while one of my pals, twelve, got lessons from his auntie. Hope you get the lead back in your pencil soon, Phil.

• RMweb Premium

Apologies but there has been no progress in the loft the last few days due to me having one of my odd fatigue events. Can't blame vegetables or drugs AFAIK but I did have a pie with wheat in it on Sunday evening (last). I thought I'd got away with it as I was OK until Tuesday afternoon, so I'm discounting that pie as well.....sort of. 

I was supposed to be going to Little Bytham for a short visit today as well but that's postponed. 

Further reports to follow.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

All right. You'll need your binoculars and you have to promise not to laugh at the steps leading to the road bridge that isn't there yet.

3545 HP is there on the far right as well, and so is the grey Moggie Minor 145 XMT, which belonged to my grandad.

attachicon.gif20141116 011 St Enodoc down end.JPG

Oh thanks. That ballast looks very tidy as well.

Grey Moggies (and a black one as well as a Blue ex GPO [repainted heap of sh1te] Van); loved those cars. One could actually take things off/out and mend or replace them. Did they have a certain 'smell' of petrol and leather seats or was that acommon smell back then?

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh thanks. That ballast looks very tidy as well.

Grey Moggies (and a black one as well as a Blue ex GPO [repainted heap of sh1te] Van); loved those cars. One could actually take things off/out and mend or replace them. Did they have a certain 'smell' of petrol and leather seats or was that acommon smell back then?

P

Leather seats, yes. 145 had red ones. Don't remember the petrol smell though - perhaps something to do with the electric pump?

• RMweb Gold

Ah, the famous run to Roborough (Sunday afternoons in our case). There had been an airfield there in the war I think and people used to let kids drive on the old tarmac bits; or is that just my fantasy brain telling porkies?

P

Yelverton in Mrs Stationmaster's case (but Roborough was also used she confirms).

• RMweb Premium

Yelverton in Mrs Stationmaster's case (but Roborough was also used she confirms).

It is such a long time since I went out there (pre almost any development beyond the Barracks at Crownhill until The Moorland Links Hotel believe it or not) I cant even remember the proximity of Roborough and Yelverton. However, don't say Yelverton too loudly or I'll start getting thoughts of small WR Junction layouts.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

It is such a long time since I went out there (pre almost any development beyond the Barracks at Crownhill until The Moorland Links Hotel believe it or not) I cant even remember the proximity of Roborough and Yelverton. However, don't say Yelverton too loudly or I'll start getting thoughts of small WR Junction layouts.

Phil

You wouldn't if you went and looked at it Phil - very thoroughly overgrown and the bloke who owned some years back seemed to have a  pathological hatred of anyone with an interest in railways even thinking of trespassing in his 'nature reserve'.  He's probably dead and gone by now and i only hope that whoever replaced him as landowner has a slightly considerably more friendly and conciliatory attitude to people who wander onto their completely unfenced property (if it's still unfenced).

Umberleigh? Near Roborough? Never heard of it! Bickleigh perhaps or is there a connection I don't see; a bit early for me! Yelverton had a visit by the Cornwall Railway Society a year or so ago and it looks like a jungle, a bit like Miss Havisham's garden! Harrowbeer was my learning patch just like Mrs Stationmaster along with many others. During the war, we used to sit on a high bank near the road up from the station which was at the end of the runway. Planes used to land right over ones head.

Brian.

• Like 1

Umberleigh? Near Roborough? Never heard of it! Bickleigh perhaps or is there a connection I don't see; a bit early for me! Yelverton had a visit by the Cornwall Railway Society a year or so ago and it looks like a jungle, a bit like Miss Havisham's garden! Harrowbeer was my learning patch just like Mrs Stationmaster along with many others. During the war, we used to sit on a high bank near the road up from the station which was at the end of the runway. Planes used to land right over ones head.

Brian.

Umberleigh is just South of Barnstaple.

• RMweb Premium

Umberleigh is just South of Barnstaple.

I never checked and that was the caption on some web site; what a t*t! Apologies. 

Bickleigh was of course where I found a Ground Doll and that was used as  a tray for a few years; it is still in the loft.

Phil 

• RMweb Premium

Some time ago I was making a little progress with 'the railway'. Until I make proper progress I shall be signing off that topic for a while, but I am very happy to discuss completely irrelevant (or maybe a teeny bit relevant) topics on here. I would particularly enjoy any memories or pics of Plymuff and district, especially railway related (or Devonport as that is a separate State as we all know).

Good morning.

Phil