SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Dunsignalling said:

Looks like I may need a fresh razor saw blade when I next get up to Buffers....😉

John

Clive is the rainbow Coach hacking King! I hope you get your ability back very soon matey. Offer him a Cake and it will be done in minutes for you.

P

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Looks like the U1s came to 72A for just the Summer of 61 and were then dispatched rapidly back to wherever. They covered several T9 turns it would appear.

P

Yes, on the surface, they should have been easily master of the loads and timings on the North Cornwall, which tends to throw suspicion on their mechanical condition. 

A case of their previous shed clearing out the duds, perhaps? That happened with a bunch of BR2 tanks, ostensibly interchangeable with the highly regarded 72A Ivatts, which were given similarly short shrift.

John

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Looks like the U1s came to 72A for just the Summer of 61 and were then dispatched rapidly back to wherever. They covered several T9 turns it would appear.

P

That timescale coincides with the completion of Kent Coast Electrification. All sorts of locos and coaching stock were suddenly released for use elsewhere.. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Yes, on the surface, they should have been easily master of the loads and timings on the North Cornwall, which tends to throw suspicion on their mechanical condition. 

A case of their previous shed clearing out the duds, perhaps? That happened with a bunch of BR2 tanks, ostensibly interchangeable with the highly regarded 72A Ivatts, which were given similarly short shrift.

John

That's interesting, as when the Ivatts went en masse in late 62 I think it was, the Standards took over on the Exmouths. Or was that the other way round?

Anyway I see that 82030 (ex WSR and Green) was reallocated to 72A in 1965 for a while!  

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I've just read that the U1s were at 72A from May to October 1961.

I've also found another photo of one on a local passenger working heading for Exeter. 

Phil

Yes Phil - 31901 - 4 inclusive from 5/61 - 9/61.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

That's interesting, as when the Ivatts went en masse in late 62 I think it was, the Standards took over on the Exmouths. Or was that the other way round?

Anyway I see that 82030 (ex WR and Green) was reallocated to 72A in 1964 (from Taunton) for a year, then Gloucester!  I have that Engine!

Phil

Just checked. It was most of the Standards that went 9/62 having been at 72A for years (some from introduction in 1952). 

Ivatts were around the far west as well, including 72A & some also from 1952 and I remember the 3 I used to see at Devonport Kings Road regularly; 41315/16/17 (Friary then Laira). They moved to 72A in '63. Others seemed to come west from areas that had DMUs introduced in West Yorkshire for example.

Interesting what you learn/confirm 60 years later!

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I received an Accurascale Manor a couple of weeks ago. It's a great model.  I decided that as I was in the process of shifting stuff around in the loft and the Rolling Road has been moved to a different area, that I would unplug the DCC ,(Track supply only) and clip up the DC supply to the layout  so I could test The Manor as it awaits its Decoder fitting. That means I can run it fully loaded on the Main Lines, which I did. It handles 9 Coaches with relative ease and that's fine for my needs.

This weekend I decided I was going to weather it a bit, having already Coaled the Tender and painted over the OHL Flashes and the Tender top surfaces. This I did and as it was on the Workbench, I got a box of my non DCC fitted (yet)Engines, and started to run various Engines around to see how they were doing!

Most were fine, but an old Baccy Split Chassis Hall had the dreaded split plastic axle sheath on the leading Drivers! I sorted that with some Super Glue, an OO Axle Gauge (Brass block type) and mini Cramp!  It runs now, but I suspect it will fail again as the Chassis was/is quite Oily!

A beautifully built DJH 9F I've had for quite some time, needed the front Pony set up tweaked; runs well now. Whoever built it did a first class job. 

An old Crownline S15 I had built for me by a pal years ago, has a faulty front Bogie. That is put aside as it needs Soldering, unless I come up with an alternative solution.

The test Train consists of Baccy MR Portholes and half a dozen Dapol MR Corridors that I picked up for about £3 each at a sale. Most are not well weathered; just a light brown spray really, but easily spruced up I hope. 

They are very crude things, but passable for my needs, EXCEPT they ran so badly, with horrid body wobble.

Simple plastic Bogies with horrid, plastic wheels, needed wheel replacements. Fortunately I've go plenty of Hornby 14.5s and they fitted fine. However the really poor plug in style Bogies, using a plastic Split Pin into a hole in the Coach Floor, were horribly loose. Simple items needed a simple solution and that was card shims acting as basic washers between Bogie top and Floor hole! Bogies still have enough movement but now NO WOBBLE! result.

I have got some other MR Coaches, Comet and Hornby, and they look OK. The Baccy Portholes are really smart Models in Maroon and Cream; mint & unused. Think I paid about £6 each of those 8 at a Sale. I think they are still about £35 RRP?

That was a few hours of fun, however it is only really procrastination concerning tidying away dross so I can progress with scenic work!

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
Horrible punctuation.
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

That was a few hours of fun, however it is only really procrastination concerning tidying away dross so I can progress with scenic work!

Phil

I think we all get that Phil, anything but doing what really needs doing, in my case under baseboard track and point wiring - I hate it!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Friendly/supportive 10

22 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

The Baccy Portholes are really smart Models in Maroon and Cream; mint & unused. Think I paid about £6 each of those 8 at a Sale. I think they are still about £35 RRP?

RRP for portholes is now £79.95, which turns into an actual sale price of about £56 at the moment. But  the ones on sale right now are in Blue/Grey, which doesn't appear to be a popular livery on these.

Second hand price for any Crimson/Cream coach and Maroon firsts seems to be around £35 ish.

Maroon seconds, composites and second brakes appear to be unicorns. I don't know how much they go for as I've not seen them come up second hand. Naturally those are the ones I want...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

In 2021, when things were very different, I posted something on here about finding some simple, paper Gangway Connectors.  On looking today I have bought (£6 including post)  the last pack of 12 for Hornby/Dapol LMS Coaches. There appears to be only Hawksworths left! I have plenty of those already and Gresleys and Maunsells!

The company still does Laser Cut Buildings but have finished doing these Bellows. To me that is a great shame as alternatives are £5 for just two per Coach. Hey ho.

Looks like I'm going to have to copy Silver Sidelines' make your own efforts that I read from 2012! Is Mr Sidelines with us still?

I'm mumbling about this as yesterday afternoon I fitted the last MR bellows I had onto the Dapol MR Coaches I fettled the other day. Those very crude and basic Coaches will only ever appear very rarely and in a 'set' Rake and so I could use the one Bellows one end and then one Blanking Plate the other end of each Coach method; one Bellows fills the gap!

Sadly my lovely Portholes will be seen maybe more frequently (?) and I may be struggling to fill that Rake's gaps!

Phil

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• Mallard60022 changed the title to SOS Junction. Sometimes things happen, like a hint of Autumn activity.
On 03/09/2023 at 16:27, Mallard60022 said:

In 2021, when things were very different, I posted something on here about finding some simple, paper Gangway Connectors.  On looking today I have bought (£6 including post)  the last pack of 12 for Hornby/Dapol LMS Coaches. There appears to be only Hawksworths left! I have plenty of those already and Gresleys and Maunsells!

The company still does Laser Cut Buildings but have finished doing these Bellows. To me that is a great shame as alternatives are £5 for just two per Coach. Hey ho.

Looks like I'm going to have to copy Silver Sidelines' make your own efforts that I read from 2012! Is Mr Sidelines with us still?

I'm mumbling about this as yesterday afternoon I fitted the last MR bellows I had onto the Dapol MR Coaches I fettled the other day. Those very crude and basic Coaches will only ever appear very rarely and in a 'set' Rake and so I could use the one Bellows one end and then one Blanking Plate the other end of each Coach method; one Bellows fills the gap!

Sadly my lovely Portholes will be seen maybe more frequently (?) and I may be struggling to fill that Rake's gaps!

Phil

Hi Phil

This might help -

Print out on A4

Cut around outside of each strip.

Cut Slots to 1/2 height.

Paint or colour (Black)

Fold each strip in alternate directions, then interlace A & B strips together

I cut End blanks from thin card, and used concertinas on both coaches.

This was a shut down project, but having worked all this out, and handed copies around

when our club had an (aloud) outdoor meeting, I put aside and haven't finished.

You can use this as a basis for other patterns. I found a coach end-door useful to trim

The bellows profile.

All the best

TONY

Coach Corridor Connections..svg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Have a look at MJT corridor connections, instructions are downloadable and method is very similar, so much  so that if you have suitable paper, cost (except for time), could be pretty much zero.

That is also helpful in that, to my simple Brain Cell remaining in function, I can understand how they go together!

Phil

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

The Line Gang gaffer's Dog needed some entertainment as it gets bored whilst he's yapping with his Pals in the Hangers' Hut.

So I bought him this:

210458.jpg.9ee1f88c09be322117d1b73c3cb6543e.jpg

It's 25' and appears in this pic.

IMG_0026.JPG.396f81c389ad84c7a3e7da423c1704f9.JPG

The real tree looks like a replanted Christmas Tree that has grown somewhat over the years.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

The real tree looks like a replanted Christmas Tree that has grown somewhat over the years.

I guessed that. That pic is about 1964 so I'm guessing it was in there maybe for the Coronation in 53? Or it was just for fun!

It doesn't show on pre second war pics. 

20230913_123453(2).jpg.08d9b16405cce73c9f6ef755e0dd552d.jpg

The 'new' tree that I had made (bespoke). It looks better than the Heki Plastic Christmas Cake style one, BUT just a tad expensive! Ouch.

20230913_123508.jpg.563534cd6968e653f43591840cd62f84.jpg

It's just plonked for now (wire on the poly bank).

Manor is now Chip fitted and is on 7 + Van. It's also mostly weathered but hasn't had the detailing bits fitted yet.

P

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for Coupling still being there!

Lamp an Coal only addition so far. 

No weathering yet as it's still running in; 8 on, Dapol Midlands that are a bit 'draggy' too.

It 'wiggles' a tad going, forward but looks superb in reverse.

Superb Engine and a Pity I can't justify more than one.

Can't justify this one prototypically, BUT I don't give a toot about that.  

Phil

20230921_124954.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Can't justify this one prototypically, BUT I don't give a toot about that.  

Absolutely Phil. All that outside valvegear on a GW engine.....whatever next?

They all seemed to be tooling around Paddington when my brother and I took the SR DEMU to Reading and then some other old WR DMU into Paddington for one of our London Shed "bashes".

Kind regards,

Edited by 30368
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 30368 said:

Absolutely Phil. All that outside valvegear on a GW engine.....whatever next?

They all seemed to be tooling around Paddington when my brother and I took the SR DEMU to Reading and then some other old WR DMU into Paddington for one of our London Shed "bashes".

Kind regards,

Yup, except I used to arrive at/depart from Paddington behind Steam  until it went (and I didn't go there from 64 till goodness knows when!)

They used to go roaring out either as boosters to some departing stuff, or Bark out, wiggling back to OOC Carriage Sidings presumably. Their approach, with about 12 on, was more sedate and careful.

They certainly were different below the waterline.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 3