SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

.... My little 9V battery in the Applicator seems to work OK but without a visible oomphydrag. (Technical term there)....

If you haven't already, I'd try some experimenting before starting on the layout proper. One thing I've seen when doing mine is that you can get a sense of the electrical power/'oomph' being delivered by putting a white background up (I used a sheet of foamboard) then getting close to ground level and looking 'through' the rain of falling fibres against this background. Hardly scientific but I got a sense of 'half' or 'double' or 'a wee smidgen more' of the respective power of different applicators/batteries. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

If you haven't already, I'd try some experimenting before starting on the layout proper. One thing I've seen when doing mine is that you can get a sense of the electrical power/'oomph' being delivered by putting a white background up (I used a sheet of foamboard) then getting close to ground level and looking 'through' the rain of falling fibres against this background. Hardly scientific but I got a sense of 'half' or 'double' or 'a wee smidgen more' of the respective power of different applicators/batteries. 

Thanks Simon. I've been playing with little test sheets and will be doing some more with upgraded Glue! Some Swedish Chap has a good U TUBE Vid and an Aussie 'showed me' the Lemon Juice trick. I read somewhere on RMW about salty water. I'll be playing with those tomorrow, off layout, I expect. Its easier to do my removable bits (oh, er misses) off site anyway, for cleaning up!  

Other fixed places, I shall attempt to create a working pod so as to be able to vacuum up 'bits'.

It's actually fun...at the momen.

STB

Phil

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Just keep doin wotchya doin, Duckie - it looks fabberooney 👍

From you, that is indeed respected. Pity it's taken me 7 years to get fit enough to do this. Do tell Barry O that today I experimented with some short lengths of BALLAST!, Yes, Ballast! Some on the Foam Undelay parts and some on Just Cork. I'm not that impressed with the so called Applicators as they seem to release far too much at once.

ASTB

Phil

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Yon long grassy-weedy bit is looking OK m'duck.  And yes those ballast things are a waste of time IMHO. We found tidying the result up took as much time as doing it the 'hard' way.

I think I shall experiment on some sidings as they don't matter really as they were laid on rubbish/Ash/sandy Soil on an engineered 'Plateau' (Down Yard). Then I might resort to the 'hard way'.

Thank you.

P

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks Simon. I've been playing with little test sheets and will be doing some more with upgraded Glue! Some Swedish Chap has a good U TUBE Vid and an Aussie 'showed me' the Lemon Juice trick. I read somewhere on RMW about salty water. I'll be playing with those tomorrow, off layout, I expect. Its easier to do my removable bits (oh, er misses) off site anyway, for cleaning up!  

Other fixed places, I shall attempt to create a working pod so as to be able to vacuum up 'bits'.

It's actually fun...at the momen.

STB

Phil

Salty water, it could be a post in the grass fibres thread in the scenics section? 

Loose fibre recovery, I have one of those hand-held low power vacuums (Squires?) - though, yes, removable bits are handy - after doing the bizzo, you can just turn them upside down over a clean sheet of paper! Household vacuums can also be used but with a pair of ladies tights over the end of the nozzle, to catch the fibres. I hasten to add that for domestic harmony, it's best to beg a pair of tights which have been laddered rather than a new pair or a set in use... 

.... I'm not that impressed with the so called Applicators as they seem to release far too much at once.

ASTB

Phil

Yes, I wouldn't say I'd never use again but plus one for not being a particular fan of them. 

I think I shall experiment on some sidings as they don't matter really as they were laid on rubbish/Ash/sandy Soil on an engineered 'Plateau' (Down Yard). Then I might resort to the 'hard way'.

Thank you.

P

For the 'crud' end of ballast, maybe try some of the 'Lineside Grot' bag? Go steady with the water though, or some of the lighter elements might float off. Treemendus' soil can be good for poor/ash surfaces; also playpit sand, though you'd probably want to drop some paint in the glue/water mix to get a good colour. As and when I can restart work on Sticklepath Lane, I'll do a lot of the ballast work that way. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Salty water, it could be a post in the grass fibres thread in the scenics section? 

Loose fibre recovery, I have one of those hand-held low power vacuums (Squires?) - though, yes, removable bits are handy - after doing the bizzo, you can just turn them upside down over a clean sheet of paper! Household vacuums can also be used but with a pair of ladies tights over the end of the nozzle, to catch the fibres. I hasten to add that for domestic harmony, it's best to beg a pair of tights which have been laddered rather than a new pair or a set in use... 

Yes, I wouldn't say I'd never use again but plus one for not being a particular fan of them. 

For the 'crud' end of ballast, maybe try some of the 'Lineside Grot' bag? Go steady with the water though, or some of the lighter elements might float off. Treemendus' soil can be good for poor/ash surfaces; also playpit sand, though you'd probably want to drop some paint in the glue/water mix to get a good colour. As and when I can restart work on Sticklepath Lane, I'll do a lot of the ballast work that way. 

I shall use my own Tights so no conflicts.

I shall try the Grot. Is that available in Large amounts?

Such fun.

Thanks.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

... I shall try the Grot. Is that available in Large amounts? ... 

I don't think I have any pre-packed bags left now, you got the last of the sample size bags but if you like it, because it's one of my mixes I can make up a quantity on request. Though a bucket load would take a while! Just give me an approximate track length of coverage and if you want to alter anything. I can stare at your photo again and think about colours and textures. 

It's produced on similar principles to the forest floor mixes but with different ingredients to simulate some [ballast] stone as well as ash, mud, decomposing urgh and assorted other *. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/05/2023 at 15:47, Dunsignalling said:

IIRC, Warships didn't start receiving Maroon livery until 1965

There was a thread about this a while ago. First maroon one was August 1965, although from memory many carried a sort of  camo livery by then.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Yo Mr Duck

Have you still got the blue BRCW type 3 Bo-Bo you lent me when Pig Lane was at Retford? If you have, that and some nice blue grey Mk1 coaches dashing towards the tunnel would look wonderful.

Be careful chaps not too much praise or his head will get stuck in the loft hatch......rumour control is saying even Mrs Duck is impressed, just like I am.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Mr Duck,

Your handy work is impressive, it just needs a Warship instead of a tin can, to finish it. My first sighting of hydraulics were Warships at Waterloo.

Whippersnapper. I were at Plymuff Eye Hospital 'spotting wall', when a very shiny D800 came out of Mutley Tunnel with all the Big Wigs sin the Cab. First west bound actual service run. I had no idea it was happening.

P

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

My first encounter with the hydraulics was in May 1958. We were waiting at St Austell for a train home from an early holiday when D600 came racing through on an Up express. It was the week it was transferred to Laira so an early sighting in the Duchy. Progress had been fast by our next visit in July 1959, when we saw D800, D801, D807, D6300 and D6303 in two  trips between St Austell and Truro

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 22/05/2023 at 15:21, Mallard60022 said:

20230521_163448.jpg.5ec0aeaf02d4885b4966660f5c85ec47.jpg

I've 'improved' my stack of trimmed Tree stuff.

P

'ere Quackers is that one of them new Bachmann Bulleid jobbies or is that something you've rolled up into a coach shape?

It's Gurt lush whatever it's provenance 😍 

Edited by Tim Dubya
too many almonds
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Bullied I agree - well both actually. Hornby’s WC tooling still holds up well against more recent models and I doubt I would replace mine if a new one came along. As to the coach, I think the windows look too flush to be Bachmann’s new RTR. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

covered in Kitchen Roll/ Gluey paint

Chux towels, which you would know as J Cloths I think, are used frequently for that job down here.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2