SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Looking superb already, will be brilliant when you get some grass and shrubbery on there.

Thanks Stu. Pity it's taken me over 5 years to get a grip.

The Grass Mats and Static Grass supplies are in the Wings, along with plenty of other bits and pieces. Quite a lot courtesy of someone on RMWeb, who is sadly not very well, and I have been taking lots off stuff from him to save him or others having to deal with it. There will be yet another bit of friendly memories using that stuff.

Take care.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

The Grass Mats and Static Grass supplies 

That's the enjoyable bit Ducky. Fingers crossed for an Argyle promotion this afternoon.😉

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

That's the enjoyable bit Ducky. Fingers crossed for an Argyle promotion this afternoon.😉

Thanks Rob. I'm not listening, watching or any sort of attending, as I am a Jonah.

Typical Argyle I suspect will blow it at the last hurdle. Who knows eh; it's only a Game! 

Arggggggh!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks Rob. I'm not listening, watching or any sort of attending, as I am a Jonah.

Typical Argyle I suspect will blow it at the last hurdle. Who knows eh; it's only a Game! 

Arggggggh!

Oh no they didn't  ( blow it) !!

• Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Oh no they didn't  ( blow it) !!

Yes, thanks, I am now relaxed but next Season will be tough indeed. Money needed to stay up there.

Now then Stu, you have that LNER thingy down your way tomorrow. To par and then turned at St Blazey I think. Early afternoon arrives about 3ish and departs about 5 ish? Times will be on REal Time Trains tomorrow morning I'm sure. 1Z something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yes, thanks, I am now relaxed but next Season will be tough indeed. Money needed to stay up there.

Now then Stu, you have that LNER thingy down your way tomorrow. To par and then turned at St Blazey I think. Early afternoon arrives about 3ish and departs about 5 ish? Times will be on REal Time Trains tomorrow morning I'm sure. 1Z something.

It's also No 1 grandson's 2nd birthday, and the weather forecast is thundery showers, but there maybe a trip to Lappa Valley.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/04/2023 at 13:01, Mallard60022 said:

Been working on the left side banks; the two Polystyrene lumps to the nearest left, are also removable for Access across the cutting. The opposite Banks are also removable if you have been following progress.20230429_110534.jpg.fdea1cff376b09cd8f98b5309121da5f.jpg

View from the Overbridge, East of the X Over, to the Tunnel (looking West). The nearest bit of Papier Mache 'banking' to the left, has been in place for years. It will be 'pimped up' when I add further Poly to it's left; probably removable as well.

20230429_110517.jpg.a159dce75be8ed4d9729d9d9c0bc63a0.jpg

View from above the Tunnel, looking 'East'.

20230429_110603.jpg.3b6f0f108b1908b70e8869479d5739fd.jpg

Just 'East' of the Road Overbridge I am trying to create a scenic 'break'. This is actually off scene really but sort of blocks the view of sidings when viewed from the 'Cutting' looking 'East'.

I've just noticed I probably need to remove most of the UP Line (furthest) Soot on the Bridge. It was down hill here.

20230429_110650(2).jpg.6e2d165295916c139cf9712fe20f1969.jpg

I think it's Noch HO Plaster Walling 'panels', suitably chopped, From Left it's 3 sets of Two Panels (singles Glued together) and far right, a single Panel (glued to it's neighbour). Not really weathered, as I had to fill some gaps with Polyfilla when positioning. Not sure if it will remain as this set up. It is retaining 'Fields' behind it.

I enjoy doing this,  but I'm not so sure about the finishing. I shall have to do a lot of U Tube watching to avoid the rather bright and garish colours I've seen on some Layouts in magazines. 

There are many on RMW that are inspirational scenically so I aspire to those finishes.

In other areas I will be using more Trad methods, such as Mesh and cover) for fixed hilly bits (I think), where there were far fewer Trees. However there are areas on the Station site, and just 'South', that will need to be lift out sections. That's months away!

Cheers.

Phil

20230429_110603.jpg

Mr Duck,

I like your terraforming, it certainly looks a lot like the original. Good to see much progress up in the roost.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

7 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Mr Duck,

I like your terraforming, it certainly looks a lot like the original. Good to see much progress up in the roost.

Sort of. The mile between the Refuge and the Tunnel has been VERY foreshortened!

Had a short break to do this today.

20230501_125432.jpg.e31ccf6e1c7a645ec55570f2b31abb38.jpg20230501_153300.jpg.f3127f0863231488c929988a7ea01345.jpg

That took about 90 minutes by the time I'd done the Chimney and the Windows. 

Followed that by almost fully prepping both the Cutting Sides, full length.

Laters.

P

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 5

On the phone photos: you should be able to tap the screen in the area where you want it to focus, and it then shows a little square for just enough time to click the button to take the photo. That little square also offers an up-and-down-slidy-thing to adjust the exposure.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

On the phone photos: you should be able to tap the screen in the area where you want it to focus, and it then shows a little square for just enough time to click the button to take the photo. That little square also offers an up-and-down-slidy-thing to adjust the exposure.

Ah, monsewer EWD, I shall endeavour to find that facility and not fall off the Steps whist engaging said slidy thing. In fact I have only just managed to find out how to switch my phone on after 10 years or so!

Take care buddy and merci.

P

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

meanwhile I may pose some Trains in this site to give it some proportion and perspective.

Time for an H15 discussion then?

Kind regards,

PS Looks really great Phil.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Looking fab, Duckie 🤗

Keep them wings flappin' like mad ... just imagine a bully beef can with 9 on bursting outa that tunnel 🚂

Only 9!

Seriously, I've been thinking about smoke at the Caterpillar's 'mouth'. 

Having had Triang Synchro-smoke (that was a larf) and using smouldering String on a previous toy layout in the early 70s, both of which were ####, I've been thinking about a smoke generator. Not like a Rock Band, serious Fog maker, but something that can produce that 'bursting out' and after drift affect.

I'm sure the Europeans and or the US have something  ?

image.png.035a45643740fb444715b2a643d3e4f8.png

Thanks. Hope your trip home is/was  safe and sound and you enjoyed the 'company'.

P. 

Edited by Mallard60022
Smoke (not on the Water)
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 30368 said:

Time for an H15 discussion then?

Kind regards,

PS Looks really great Phil.

Thanks R. Visit time sometime soon. Come and see the World Famous, Robbie's Canal Diaries town of 36E and my namesake river The IDLE.

P

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

FB do that automatically almost every week. I am a very naughty boy...

Not the Messiah? 😉 

Morning Phil. I like the idea of a smoke effect from the tunnel, probably with a generator or two located in the tunnel. 

A few years ago I was on a photo charter on the Worth Valley and took some frames from within the tunnel. Firstly, just after the train had gone past, with the engine breathing plenty of smoke and flame, the smoke had risen and was seeping out, clinging to the roof. It reminded me of an upside down and speeded up version of dawn mist in hill country. 

IMG_8022_R.jpg.f1978bb5c81cfc36fd9d7c73851b1cf1.jpg

And from the outside, on take two, just after the train had scuttled past to my right. (Yes, classic charter weather)!

2014_10_07_0585_R.jpg.0a428876c4cc4b127d4c92f6a6f4eff7.jpg

To recreate something similar in model form, I would hypothesise that this might work best if the generators are sited on the tunnel base, pointing upwards and that you provide a small 'reservoir' of airspace above where the tunnel roof would normally be, to let the smoke congregate for a while and then be dragged out by the movement of a passing train. I don't know how well it'd work but I'm sure you'd have fun experimenting. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Suppose you will need a smoke generator in the caterpillar for one of these beasties roaring through.

Lion races west near Honiton Tunnel.

"Lion" azoooooooming up towards Honiton Tunnel in snazzie Notwork Southeast livery. Those were the days.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Only 9!

Seriously, I've been thinking about smoke at the Caterpillar's 'mouth'. 

Having had Triang Synchro-smoke (that was a larf) and using smouldering String on a previous toy layout in the early 70s, both of which were ####, I've been thinking about a smoke generator. Not like a Rock Band, serious Fog maker, but something that can produce that 'bursting out' and after drift affect.

I'm sure the Europeans and or the US have something  ?

image.png.035a45643740fb444715b2a643d3e4f8.png

Thanks. Hope your trip home is/was  safe and sound and you enjoyed the 'company'.

P. 

Phil it is very nice of you to keep posting pictures of, let alone modelling, what was, for almost 5 years back in the 1970s, the extreme western end of the ex LSWR  part of 'my patch'.  Alas by then steam had finished, Honiton Incline 'box was a fast receding memory, and the line had been singled, but your version is looking better by the day

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Imagine the joy when you find where the Off button is!

I had to go to Court today to act as advocate for my step daughter. I was going to take my phone, but didn't when I found that I could not remember how to turn it off.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

It's good to see you posting more layout progress Phil. Long may it continue! A good few years back I followed the footpath down to the tunnel 'just to see' and hoping there'd  be a time warp along the way but of course it's nothing like it used to be.

It's a shame that most photos were lost in the 'Great Crash'. I've only ever seen SJ in it's current semi derelict state, would it be possible to upload a couple of model photos for us latecomers?

Keep at it!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

It's good to see you posting more layout progress Phil. Long may it continue! A good few years back I followed the footpath down to the tunnel 'just to see' and hoping there'd  be a time warp along the way but of course it's nothing like it used to be.

It's a shame that most photos were lost in the 'Great Crash'. I've only ever seen SJ in it's current semi derelict state, would it be possible to upload a couple of model photos for us latecomers?

Keep at it!

Thanks a lot Trevor. I'll get a few befores and afters and some prototypes on ASAP.

Phil

• Like 6