SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
On 27/11/2022 at 18:24, Tim Dubya said:

I believe it is.  Spotted on a Facebook group for the Southern* the other day.

FB_IMG_1669572525731.jpg.65a7092f09d01e83fbc29cb84a5ea546.jpg

*Other Facebook groups are available but their paint is the wrong shade of green and an odd black too.

Where the he## is that?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Good to see the progress and good luck with that hip.

I once had a work colleague who had a hip  done under a local anaesthetic. He even watched it on the ‘TV’ above the operating table. “Fascinating,” was his opinion but “If ever they do the other one they can knock me out!” 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2023 at 21:02, Mallard60022 said:

I'm not deceased.

Not been very active really over the last 9 months and my excuse is a new right Hip.

However things do sometimes happen.

A while back I was seeking advice about scenic 'Pods' and someone, I remember not the kind person that suggested an idea, sadly. 

Lightweight but quite sturdy and removeable Pods for the Incline's Northwestern Embankment, plus a remaining fixed section up by the Tunnel. The 3 Pods  can be lifted out to allow access to the storage sidings.

There will be very lightweight Extruded Foam, removable 'Trays' laid/supported behind them for access too.

I'm experimenting.

20230404_182619.jpg.0828bea75b0d24066abb849b74da8442.jpg

Not a great pic, BUT it does show what I'm attempting to do. Where the old Hornby Van is opposite where the Incline Box will sit by the Main Lines.

In reality this was at the start of the Incline and the land to the right of where the van sits was more or less dropping away to a shallow Valley. It won't here, it will be a slight incline over to where the Black Polystyrene is attached to the beam.

That strip of curved Ply is where there will be a shallow slope bank with a small retaining wall before the Cess. Im planning on totally covering this area from the Van to just out of sight, bottom right. Scenic 'Trays' again, but gentle rolling Devon farmland and Woods.

In the far distance, left side, above the furthest Pod, is some Black Poly on a ply sheet that I had made for the original and conventional Wire mesh Cutting side. It doesn't cover the whole of the siding area as in that area it was thick Woodland and scrub from the very top of the Embankment and that conveniently continued for a long distance down the Incline; a beautifully arranged 'Scenic Break'. It's going to take a load of trees. At approximately where the white Foam Board Pods end I'm swinging the Forest/Wooded area in a curve to the right and all the way across. THis will hide the open space behund it and 'link to the full width 'field' Trays mentioned earlier.

That's the basic plan anyway. 

I've found some really lightweight extruded Polly Floor Tile Underlay that comes in handy sized sheets  (about A2 paper size) about 6 mm thick. I pinched that idea from a YouTuber. It is dead easy to use and doesn't break up like Polystyrene sheets do when cutting with saws/knives etc.

Apologies for long winded explanation. I shall create some basic Trays in the next few days (says he) and position them so you can see what I'm trying to achieve. I do not have hundreds of Trees...yet. 

I want to try and achieve this before Summer when it gets quite warm up there, BUT not furnace like, even last Summer in the 40* periods.

The area to the left of the main lines is fairly conventional glued paper over Foam. It's where the Refuge /Catch Siding is. I might change it or I might not. Haven't really planned the south/south west embankment yet. It can be totally permanent BUT needs to be sturdy as it will be leaned over every so often to reach those hidden sidings. Fewer Trees, but I'll make them removable.

More to come soon.

Mad Duck

OK Scrap that idea for now. Going to go for a single (if possible) front Pod made from Insulation Foam layers and shaped Saw something on U Tube and decided I could do it light and strong enough in a single length.

I shall shut up until I've tried that.

P

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Exmouth and the viaduct to Budleigh 👍

Ah, of course. I sort of thought that but it was following something about Exmouth Junction at the Exmouth Junction in Exeterrrrrrrrr. I'm easily confused.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

I'd think the nearest sighting of any Royal Blue coach to Seaton Junction would be the Salcombe/Exeter to Bournemouth service passing along the A35 at Taunton Cross 2 or 3 miles up the road.

IIRC, there wasn't even a scheduled bus past the station before closure, when the short-lived "replacement"  for the branch and main-line stopping services commenced running.

I never rode on it, but I think it was run from the Southern National depot at Seaton, using Bristol LS single-deckers, though they did have a solitary MW, (No. 2613 from memory; why on earth do I remember THAT?) at least for a while.

I doubt a 36' RE would have got round the tight bend coming off the Colyton Road bridge! 

John

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Hi Phil,

I'd think the nearest sighting of any Royal Blue coach to Seaton Junction would be the Salcombe/Exeter to Bournemouth service passing along the A35 at Taunton Cross 2 or 3 miles up the road.

IIRC, there wasn't even a scheduled bus past the station before closure, when the short-lived "replacement"  for the branch and main-line stopping services commenced running.

I never rode on it, but I think it was run from the Southern National depot at Seaton, using Bristol LS single-deckers, though they did have a solitary MW, (No. 2613 from memory; why on earth do I remember THAT?) at least for a while.

I doubt a 36' RE would have got round the tight bend coming off the Colyton Road bridge! 

John

My RB is on an 'excursion' from the area to Exeter; some sort of local Liberal Club. Alternatively it's a Bustitution on the Branch service! I used RB when In Exeter at College. Usually to get to London. I love the Livery and Shape so I'm having one on site occasionally!

John, there was a Bus service stopping at SJ in the late 50s. Not sure if it was daily or just Sundays. I've got the details somewhere if you need to know.

P

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

My RB is on an 'excursion' from the area to Exeter; some sort of local Liberal Club. Alternatively it's a Bustitution on the Branch service! I used RB when In Exeter at College. Usually to get to London. I love the Livery and Shape so I'm having one on site occasionally!

John, there was a Bus service stopping at SJ in the late 50s. Not sure if it was daily or just Sundays. I've got the details somewhere if you need to know.

P

Thanks Phil,

I think there was also probably a weekly bus from the surrounding villages to Axminster market on a Thursday, that will have included SJ and Shute.

Likely one of Herbie Vincent's trio of Bedford OBs or the Wessex SBs that used to spend much of their time  festering down behind where the Axminster Co-op is now.... 

I've just come over the Colyton Road bridge on my way home from Seaton, and would reiterate my earlier judgement on the chances of anything 36' long negotiating it without rounding off at least one corner of the vehicle!

John

• RMweb Premium

Bit more progress using the Tile Underlay foam, which is rather thin and it takes ages to build up contours.

20230413_173624.jpg.eedfb4811c13b90756a0bd5335cccb88.jpg

If Stubby 47 is looking at this he may swoon?

The pic is a copy, but does show what I am going to have to achieve. The actual colours in the book are far better. I reckon the Pine Tree is some Gangers old Christmas Tree planted many years before this pic was taken, circa 1963 IIRC?

20230413_173602.jpg.7457deb68fb162e975e014d2132c110c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Thanks Phil,

I think there was also probably a weekly bus from the surrounding villages to Axminster market on a Thursday, that will have included SJ and Shute.

Likely one of Herbie Vincent's trio of Bedford OBs or the Wessex SBs that used to spend much of their time  festering down behind where the Axminster Co-op is now.... 

I've just come over the Colyton Road bridge on my way home from Seaton, and would reiterate my earlier judgement on the chances of anything 36' long negotiating it without rounding off at least one corner of the vehicle!

John

That's the one John, for the market. I shall have to take the RB Coach 'out of my fleet' then, so thanks for the tip. I've driven around there somewhat but not as extensively as yourself of course. If you think it might have come to the Shute Hotel from another direction that would be an excuse? It would park in the Station Forecourt then!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

That's the one John, for the market. I shall have to take the RB Coach 'out of my fleet' then, so thanks for the tip. I've driven around there somewhat but not as extensively as yourself of course. If you think it might have come to the Shute Hotel from another direction that would be an excuse? It would park in the Station Forecourt then!

Even for a MW, the only sensible direction of approach to the Shute Arms Hotel would be down through Shute from the A35.

There is currently a service that does so and goes on to Colyton but even those little Deltas are a tight squeeze over the railway bridge, which is both narrow and "wiggly". Next time I'm over there I'll get a photo to show how crooked it is, if I can do it without getting run over!

The third road (other leg of the junction by the bridge) goes to Whitford and is tight and twisty. I suspect the market bus went that way, but that was then  this is now! In any bus larger than an OB, you really wouldn't want to meet anything coming the other way. In days gone by with a quarter of the traffic and all vehicles being smaller, you might have had a fighting chance; nowadays you'd have a job even getting past the parked SUVs!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I'd like to say here is my progress today:

I see your point Phil, who was it that created this model? It's the best I have seen.

Having said that, the Trainee Track Layer is doing a very good job too but, depriving many grandchildren (?) of their playthings is not clever....

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 30368 said:

I see your point Phil, who was it that created this model? It's the best I have seen.

Having said that, the Trainee Track Layer is doing a very good job too but, depriving many grandchildren (?) of their playthings is not clever....

Kind regards,

Richard B

Most of my Gandchildren are now adults, except for the one who is almost 12 and has aero interest in anything except X Box, Lego and Rugby. He has never been into Hereford Model Centre, but has been on a Train once! Sad but that's life.

One day, an H15 built by some geezer over in the Wild West of Derbyshire, might pop out of that Tunnel.

Thanks by the way.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Most of my Gandchildren are now adults

I guess so Phil, sorry, so you are off the hook.

I have eight grandchildren altogether ranging from 9 months to 27, mostly at the adult end. My two stepdaughters are about ten years younger than my two so that accounts for wide range. They are all smashing with at least one lad mad keen on granddads layout. He also rides (as do I)  on the lovely little railway (14" gauge I think) that runs around the park in the centre of Buxton. The same railway that my two daughters used to be coersed onto when they were little when I last lived in Derbyshire.

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS H15 is running in very well up and back past 70D, still on the same tender load of coal.

Edited by 30368
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1