SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

The Small Cardiff Show (this coming Saturday, Pontcanna Scout Hut) is excellent for real sandwiches and will no doubt be quite heavily populated by RMweb attendees including at leats one who will be presenting. certain layout for the first time although he might not be offering mutton sarnies.  for those who like the fancier stuff try down by the main road at the eatery near the bus bws stop.

I'm still gutted at the fact that, despite having this one in my sights ever since the last one a year ago, I still managed to cocque my diary entries up and find myself not being in a position to go after all.

• RMweb Premium

I must confess to having become partial to the 'Artisan prosciutto and parmesan' offering from Pret a Manger. I know it is stupidly expensive at £3.95, and doubtless laden with a gazillion things one shouldn't;t eat, but it is filling and tastes nice.

That said we do have an excellent seaside cafe´near s called the Bluebird at Ferring, where not only do they serve big platefuls  of proper grub, it is all freshly cooked from quality ingredients, and they welcome dogs indoors!

TO top it all they do the best soft ice cream I've ever tasted - perfect end to a walk along the sea on the greensward on a warm summer's day!

Oh happy day, The Bluebell. There's also one at the 'west end' of Worthing, sort of upstairs above some bogs. Despite bthe bogs, thatb was also a good old steamy caf, especially in winter.

In fact, if you walk along the coast from Shoreham to Littlehampton you could visit a Cafe every half an hour or so.

Phil 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

However, one consolation is the fact that I finally managed to obtain the latest Hornby Magazine and the new Hornby 2018 catalogue for the special offer price in Smith in Plymouth yesterday, and have enjoyed looking through the catalogue and just enjoying what I saw, regardless of potential future purchasing intentions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Slightly bemused when I walked into Brewsters in Plymouth yesterday afternoon (it's right next door to Smiths), to enquire about Antex soldering stations, only to be advised by the chap there that I would get it cheaper from Antex direct. They didn't have any in stock in any case.

On the one hand, it was good of him to give me such honest advice, on the other hand, the shop was deserted and I wouldn't want to see it close.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Regarding so called off topic stuff, keep them coming everyone, especially those that involve loads of stuff about wandering trains.

The 'new' Sunday service is worth having a look at. Until recently the Sunday service from Retford to Lincoln/Sheffield was really carp and now it is better carp.

Pharty

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifSouthampton Malcolm Root Painting.jpg

Southampton

Artist: Malcolm Root.

Interesting pic. 34081 was an Exmouth Junction loco until '64, and had AWS fitted in July 1959, so as it has the battery box at the front it is certainly after that. Now look at those road vehicles - do they bespeak the '60s? 

• Like 1

The Small Cardiff Show (this coming Saturday, Pontcanna Scout Hut) is excellent for real sandwiches and will no doubt be quite heavily populated by RMweb attendees including at leats one who will be presenting. certain layout for the first time although he might not be offering mutton sarnies.  for those who like the fancier stuff try down by the main road at the eatery near the bus bws stop.

Unfortunatelly it is our local Calne show that weekend so I will be there rather than Cardiff. Would have been nice to see Mutton in the flesh, so to speak

Tim T

• RMweb Premium

Interesting pic. 34081 was an Exmouth Junction loco until '64, and had AWS fitted in July 1959, so as it has the battery box at the front it is certainly after that. Now look at those road vehicles - do they bespeak the '60s? 

....and the tender was modded at the same time 7/59...........so, artistic licence I suppose.

I have a very smart limited edition Philip Hawkins print of 34015, with cut down tender, at Exeter Central with a caption date of October 1960. As the tender wasn't modded until 12/61 I reckon that is a bit of artistic licence as well! However Mr Hawkins is easily one of the best railway artists there is. His 'geometry' is spot on with the loco's and stock.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lincoln, in a roundabout sort of way...

attachicon.giflincoln.gif

I take my youngest to college in Lincoln 3 times a week. We cross a roundabout (The one in the Stu's post) that is on the end of the by-pass, there has been road works going on at this roundabout for months. Last week a new sign went up stating the new eastern end of the by-pass was going to be built by 2019, the contractors name CARILLION.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

I Have a rather impressive original of a rebuilt Archibald Sinclair that we picked at an art gallery in Rye about 15 years ago - it has hung on my wall in various studies since then but is currently wrapped in a box awaiting transit to the new house - news about which is that we've secured both a sale and a purchase and all will hopefully now proceed to a successful conclusion and move.

Have;t yet manger to create  a train shed in the plans, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

In case any of you have ever wondered why they are called 'bungalows' talking of going off topic, it comes down to this conversation between two stalwart Yorkshire builders during WW2

"Oy Fred, I've been counting t' bricks and there's not nearly enough."

"'Appen that's all we could get, Doesn't that know there's a war on?"

"What are we going to do?"
How a bout you just bung a low roof on't?"

• Like 1

Again going off topic, and referring back to a prior discussion about VAPAs ( Voice Activated Personal Assistants) THis morning  I was forwarded this link by a similarly aged friend of mine that perfectly sums up how out of tune Amazon's team are with the 'seniors' market

I'm sure you lot will enjoy it as much as I did!

• RMweb Premium

I think SWMBO might get one of those as it probably would rspond to her talking far better than I would/do.

Smiffy, congrats on the transaction thingy. Good stuff. Take it steady with all that packing malarky.

Sincerely,

Iva Pickford

• RMweb Premium

OK. Today I ascended to the room below The Junction and left the 8 packs of concrete platform fronts and a Pecoboo plastic (formed) double track road overbridge (yup, another one) on the dumping stuff shelf ready for the ascension part of the project. 

If it is of any use to anyone, the Bachrus Rolling Road thingies are about to become unavailable as the production persons are retiring. They are damn expensive things.......

Philterpaper

I think SWMBO might get one of those as it probably would rspond to her talking far better than I would/do.

Smiffy, congrats on the transaction thingy. Good stuff. Take it steady with all that packing malarky.

Sincerely,

Iva Pickford

HAvogm realised that the garden at the new Smith Tower - if one can call a bungalow such a thing - is relatively flat, I have started to wonder about live steam gauge 1...

• RMweb Premium

If it is of any use to anyone, the Bachrus Rolling Road thingies are about to become unavailable as the production persons are retiring. They are damn expensive things.......

They are the mutt's, I got the whole shebang with extra thingies (stirrups?) for £75 on the eBay. It was a protracted 'make an offer' type battle but I got him down from £125.

Worth every penny!

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

HAvogm realised that the garden at the new Smith Tower - if one can call a bungalow such a thing - is relatively flat, I have started to wonder about live steam gauge 1...

Newhaven Neal will be your friend............. :mail:  :superstition:  :sarcastichand:

Lady Garden