SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Whilst Phil and I were queing to get our coffee and something to eat i remarked on coffee shops and other eateries not doing simpler sandwiches like cheese and pickle these days. Come on let us have ham and tomato not a full salad, egg, in slices, without mayonnaise or cress or corn beef, thickly cut on its own. And a gluten free one for me mate.

• Like 1

Whilst Phil and I were queing to get our coffee and something to eat i remarked on coffee shops and other eateries not doing simpler sandwiches like cheese and pickle these days. Come on let us have ham and tomato not a full salad, egg, in slices, without mayonnaise or cress or corn beef, thickly cut on its own. And a gluten free one for me mate.

I couldn’t agree more Clive. I had to go on a low residue diet last year prior to a colonoscopy. It was impossible to find sandwiches on simple white bread whilst working away from home

Tim T

• RMweb Premium

We like concrete platform sections........

Rob.

Inspired by some Mutton ones I seem to remember.....aspirational weathering.

Philanges

Actually a good old Caf would be OK for that sort of thing, however very few ever do (or even know about) GF preparation and that sort of thing. Pity

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Might have more relevance than most the stuff most of post.

You should have seen how much concrete platform edging Mr Duck brought yesterday. He might be serious about the junction.

Yes, I decided that if I got these further sets it would spur me on. I cleared the hook thingy on the display and mentioned that to the nice lady. "Would you like some more?" she asked. Off she went to the 'inner santcum' and returned with another bundle from which I just had to take another couple........doh!

Philly

• Like 1

I must confess to having become partial to the 'Artisan prosciutto and parmesan' offering from Pret a Manger. I know it is stupidly expensive at £3.95, and doubtless laden with a gazillion things one shouldn't;t eat, but it is filling and tastes nice.

That said we do have an excellent seaside cafe´near s called the Bluebird at Ferring, where not only do they serve big platefuls  of proper grub, it is all freshly cooked from quality ingredients, and they welcome dogs indoors!

TO top it all they do the best soft ice cream I've ever tasted - perfect end to a walk along the sea on the greensward on a warm summer's day!

The latest issue of Lincoln Bog Cart Weekly mentions that from the May timetable change, the hourly Northern bog cart gets upgraded to a slightly better Northern bog cart (with more wheels and less draughts), as the service runs through to Leeds, usual stops to Retford and Workshop, fast to Sheveled, then Medderall, Baansley, Wekkfield, Lids. 

Giving a 1h45 time from Retford-Leeds - versus about an hour on the direct route via Donny.

PS I think my spellchecker needs rebooting.

PPS How far off-topic can we go, or are the off-topic topics restricted to JA and her elk / and GF grub?

PPPS gratuitous Dave Gorman reference.

• RMweb Gold

After the end of steam at Oxford shed, almost the only steam seen passing was on the York Bournmouth and Bournemouth York services. The pattern seemed to be two sets of coaches, alternating on the north and south bound services. Locos also alternated, a Bulleid or standard heading  north one day, and back the next, balanced usually by a black 5 in the other direction. One onre occasion when I was on the station, the York Bournmouth tutned up hauled by a 9F. A qiuick decision saw me paying excess fare to Reading West.

Sometime mid 1966, 34023 and 44942 at Walton Well Road bridge.

attachicon.gif2-26-2008_028.JPG

attachicon.gif2-26-2008_031.JPG

Many years later I had  an couple of interesting  cross country runs travelling back to London from the NEC. Among other places these called at Oxford and Reading before turning north off the main line after Acton. After a crawl through what appeared to be some very rusty and overgrown sidings, I was able to change at Kensington Olympia. I'm not sure where these services wer destined for.

Cheers

Dave

The one that took you to Kenny (Addison Road to the aficiandos) and was bound for Brighton.  On one occasion, after a meeting,  I got on the version heading in the opposite direction at Croydon in order to make carefully crafted 'no need to change trains enroute' journey to Reading'.  The GWR looked strangely quiet as we passed over it and we then stood 'waiting aspect' at Mitre Bridge before heading not through Sou' West Siding and round towards Acton but out onto the WCML thence to Harrow where we stopped so that passengers for Reading and Oxford could alight; it seems that 'someone' had put a digger bucket through a rather important cable on the GWR thereby stopping the job.  So my 'no need to change' journey actually saw me changing at Harrow, Willesden (thence to Willesden High Level), and Richmond having again crossed above the GWML.  And of course by then passengers from Paddington had already started migrating to Waterloo so it involved a lot of shoving etc in order to actually get onto a train heading for Reading.

• RMweb Gold

The Small Cardiff Show (this coming Saturday, Pontcanna Scout Hut) is excellent for real sandwiches and will no doubt be quite heavily populated by RMweb attendees including at leats one who will be presenting. certain layout for the first time although he might not be offering mutton sarnies.  for those who like the fancier stuff try down by the main road at the eatery near the bus bws stop.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I must confess to having become partial to the 'Artisan prosciutto and parmesan' offering from Pret a Manger. I know it is stupidly expensive at £3.95, and doubtless laden with a gazillion things one shouldn't;t eat, but it is filling and tastes nice.

That said we do have an excellent seaside cafe´near s called the Bluebird at Ferring, where not only do they serve big platefuls  of proper grub, it is all freshly cooked from quality ingredients, and they welcome dogs indoors!

TO top it all they do the best soft ice cream I've ever tasted - perfect end to a walk along the sea on the greensward on a warm summer's day!

I used to love playing cricket at Ferring. A beautiful spot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The latest issue of Lincoln Bog Cart Weekly mentions that from the May timetable change, the hourly Northern bog cart gets upgraded to a slightly better Northern bog cart (with more wheels and less draughts), as the service runs through to Leeds, usual stops to Retford and Workshop, fast to Sheveled, then Medderall, Baansley, Wekkfield, Lids. 

Giving a 1h45 time from Retford-Leeds - versus about an hour on the direct route via Donny.

PS I think my spellchecker needs rebooting.

PPS How far off-topic can we go, or are the off-topic topics restricted to JA and her elk / and GF grub?

PPPS gratuitous Dave Gorman reference.

I like that an improved service, a tour of Yorkshire and a more relaxed timing.

But will the buffet trolley be selling old fashioned simple cheese and tomato sarnies?

I like that an improved service, a tour of Yorkshire and a more relaxed timing.

But will the buffet trolley be selling old fashioned simple cheese and tomato sarnies?

Lincoln Bog Cart Weekly was strangely silent on the matter.

I've got an idea that the only Northern services with any refreshments are those where the Settle/Carlisle volunteers hop on board. Now there's an idea - join up the Lincoln-Leeds with the Leeds-Carlisle. Through services between Dent and Saxilby.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At the centre of the universe.

Hi Gilbert

I have already said that in a round about way.

To the east of a line drawn between Haverfordwest and Clackmannan. Mind you with the world being round it is also to the west if you want to go the long way.