SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Peculiar station Lincoln, to say it serves the county town.

This is what happens when a 11 coach loco-hauled train pitches up. This is how the train came to a stand - the punters in the front coaches had to walk back through in order to disembark; in the meantime, no train can arrive from the east into that side of the station.

Is that back platform now a dead end then Graham?  There wasn't a problem like that back in the day. It was the other end that caused the problems then, as a long passenger train at Platform 5 would foul the level crossing across High Street. We had eight platforms then, and the station was still fairly complete when I last visited, but so far as trains are concerned just a shadow of its former self. Mind you, it is 60 years ago.

Edit to say I just noticed the word "town". It's a City, is Lincoln.

Edited by great northern

Is that back platform now a dead end then Graham?  There wasn't a problem like that back in the day. It was the other end that caused the problems then, as a long passenger train at Platform 5 would foul the level crossing across High Street. We had eight platforms then, and the station was still fairly complete when I last visited, but so far as trains are concerned just a shadow of its former self. Mind you, it is 60 years ago.

No - it's a through platform Gilbert. The operational issue, apparently, was that the rear of the train had to be inside the signal at the other end of the platform so as to give it the signal for the subsequent propelling move back out into the loop opposite the marina (I'm sure it has a proper name!)

Yes -  was using 'county town' as an expression; Lincoln is of course a city. I was referring to it always being a bit of a Cinderella place, railway-wise, given its political and historical importance. I know, from researching the 1930s timetable, that there wasn't a dedicated London service; one through coach a day, attached and detached at Grantham was the best on offer. Thereafter, it was a change onto some pretty ancient coaching stock for the local service to/from Grantham.

• RMweb Premium

When I lived in Essex Chelmsford was a city....but we didn't shout about it.

• RMweb Premium

No - it's a through platform Gilbert. The operational issue, apparently, was that the rear of the train had to be inside the signal at the other end of the platform so as to give it the signal for the subsequent propelling move back out into the loop opposite the marina (I'm sure it has a proper name!)

Yes -  was using 'county town' as an expression; Lincoln is of course a city. I was referring to it always being a bit of a Cinderella place, railway-wise, given its political and historical importance. I know, from researching the 1930s timetable, that there wasn't a dedicated London service; one through coach a day, attached and detached at Grantham was the best on offer. Thereafter, it was a change onto some pretty ancient coaching stock for the local service to/from Grantham.

Things don't change then.

I have become a coach workings addict since discovering the Cleethroats Sidsmouth/Exmoth. The stock arrangements for that are often quite hilarious.

P

With a fading memory I used to catch a train with my mother from Crewe to Bournemouth West in the '60s to visit my Grandparents in Dorset.

I seem to recall travelling through Birmingham, on to Oxford and then down to Bournemouth. Would some of the above discussions relate to the stock used back then ?

A.Smallboyinshorts ( with a note book )

• RMweb Premium

Coach Working Diagram; July 1962, Cleethorpes - Seaton

Monday:  red ones

Tuesday:  green ones

Wednesday:  red ones

Thursday: green ones

Friday: red ones

Saturday: anything left in the yard

Sunday: NPC, parcels, brakevans and as many pre-grouping wrecks as will roll

Not bad however the Cleethorpes was SO. Sorry.

W. E. Kender

• RMweb Premium

Peculiar station Lincoln, to say it serves the county town.

attachicon.gifMagna Carta_G Nicholas_Lincoln.jpg

This is what happens when a 11 coach loco-hauled train pitches up. This is how the train came to a stand - the punters in the front coaches had to walk back through in order to disembark; in the meantime, no train can arrive from the east into that side of the station.

Should be DCC.

T. Rickery

• RMweb Premium

I think Lincoln suffers from having been an important freight Junction with a cross country passenger service (+ strategic diversionary use)  in days gone by and is now really just a cross country branch line junction but wih main line freight traffic. It is an interesting place though, retaining character but I can never quite orientate myself when there to the station's geographical layout. I also can't quite fathom where the lines came from in the days of both stations being in use. On my one visit in about 1973 there seemed to be railway all over the place.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

In one of the Digitrains cabinets of joy I spotted a couple of 7mm loco's. One was a Diseasel of Class15 stock and the other was a Terrier and that my friends was very cute as my granddaughter would say. Ummmmm.

Philth

• Like 1

I also can't quite fathom where the lines came from in the days of both stations being in use. On my one visit in about 1973 there seemed to be railway all over the place.

Phil

post-238-0-78361900-1516127789_thumb.jpg

railway all over the place is right - taken from this excellent website about Lincoln's railways

post-238-0-62755600-1516128499_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

In one of the Digitrains cabinets of joy I spotted a couple of 7mm loco's. One was a Diseasel of Class15 stock and the other was a Terrier and that my friends was very cute as my granddaughter would say. Ummmmm.

Philth

I'll see your Diseasel / Terrier and raise you Three luverly Panniers !  :jester: Treble 7(mil) mmmmm......

post-20303-0-39412600-1516128898.jpg

S.Nap

• Like 7

I might need a plaything downstairs for when I am too knackered to ascend! 

As i can't have this attachicon.gif725a91f5b1a91918874287043c9647de--british-actresses-beautiful-women.jpg

I might have to go for this Cunard.jpg ummmmmmm!

Av the best of both worlds and get her to stoke ya boiler !

J.Luss

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes indeed. It puzzled an 11/12 year old me a great deal. It was obvious that Lincoln was a much bigger place than Grantham, Newark, and, dare I say it, Retford, and yet they were on the main line and we were a backwater. The fact that our station was much bigger and grander than theirs compounded my confusion. I found out later, of course, how close we came to getting the main line, but it wasn't much consolation.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think Lincoln suffers from having been an important freight Junction with a cross country passenger service (+ strategic diversionary use)  in days gone by and is now really just a cross country branch line junction but wih main line freight traffic. It is an interesting place though, retaining character but I can never quite orientate myself when there to the station's geographical layout. I also can't quite fathom where the lines came from in the days of both stations being in use. On my one visit in about 1973 there seemed to be railway all over the place.

Phil

There was, Phil, but you should have seen it in the 50s. Even those maps don't tell the whole story, as there were quite a lot of industrial spurs as well.

• RMweb Gold

I agree Digitrains is an excellent shop. When I wasn’t working a couple of years ago, I popped up there from London to examine digital controllers. Had a pleasant day out and enjoyed the pleasure of riding trains for the hell of it!

Beautiful cathedral and impressive how it towers over the city around

David

• Like 1

All this talk of Lincoln takes me back a few years when a friend of mine was the skipper of a Vulcan bomber. At the time I was the MD of the Transport Publishing Group, which included among others Flight International.

​As you lot might guess, combining my journalistic wiles with such an excellent contact soon resulted in organising a 'press list' that included a trip around the inside of a Vulcan. At that time they had passed on from humping Nukes around the sky so my friend was seeing out his time before moving to his next post doing ferry flights to St. Mawgan for disposal and the odd 'training' run.

It's amazing what they used to let their skippers get away with,when 'positive publicity' was being offered -  a trip in the right seat to look at Lincoln from the air ( but no lower then 200 feet ) resulted in a great piece in the said magazine on 30 years of Vulcan service/

Sadly, despite it being topical, I isn;t allowed to write up one of the other main missions, which was to fly around RAF bases souring serviceable refuelling parts for their 'wee visit' to the Falklands

A fantastic 'plane that is sadly missed, and an amazing experience. I will always offer thanks to the boys in blue, both 'The Box' for facilitating the trip[, and the crew who of course had to put the bird through its paces to make sure it was 'fit to fly', either for the 'wee trip' or sadly to the scrapyard - I've never before known what laundry feels like in a washing machine!

• Like 7