SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

learning how to programme in DCC.

Not an issue - it sounds very much more daunting than it is! Clever people make DCC do all sorts of things, but we ordinary folk make a couple of alterations per loco, including its number, and that suffices. Takes a minute or two, that's all, and you can do it while the loco is on the ordinary track. Clive's solution is clever and works, I'm sure, but DCC is infinite in its ability to adjust to the situations you encounter on the day in a TMD environment. By all means use the abacus to prove it isn't feasible for £ reasons - but complexity of technology is not a significant impediment for a man of your intellect! 

• Like 1

Ah Ian you flatter me ( it usually works BTW)

I suspect I'll need to take a lesson or two from some of the esteemed folk hereabouts - sounds like a good excuse for a day out next year (hopefully)

my geek son in law suggested using a Raspberry pi to control the whole thing - I always thought that was something you ate, but apparently it is a fully functional computer for less than the most of a decent wagon 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't know Phil liked to drink at Weathersppons - well I never!

Just pre-ordered one of these from our friends in Sheffield - no idea what it will cost, but every loco shed layout should have one!

https://railsofsheffield.com/ransomes-rapier-45-ton-breakdown-crane-br-black-e-emblem-JJJA27651

Problem is the Bachmann catalogue numbers and illustrations are a bit confusing.  38-800 is listed as 'SR' and the accompanying (prototype) illustration shows an SR allocated crane, 38-801 is listed as GWR but no accompanying illustration, while 38-802 is listed as 'early BR black' and has an SR runner so is presumably the SR version in a different livery and with a different runner (which matches pictures of later SR runners).  

• RMweb Gold

Fair comments Clive, I was indeed thinking about later BR days.

The ex-LMS Cowans & Sheldon 50 tonner at Haymarket was the best crane I ever worked with, as it had six spreader beams not just four. That meant that it could be set up and used in situations where other, nominally higher capacity, cranes could not.

I didn't like working with cranes - bloomin' great expensive time wasting things (especially when doing lifts of a derailed dmu at Subway Jcn during the evening peak).  But alas not everything could be handled by jacks or somewhat less than official D-I-Y rerailing using old fishplates, timber packing and - big luxury if you happened to have some handy - a few bits of steel plate (and no buffer-locked Oleo buffers, please).

• Like 1

Problem is the Bachmann catalogue numbers and illustrations are a bit confusing.  38-800 is listed as 'SR' and the accompanying (prototype) illustration shows an SR allocated crane, 38-801 is listed as GWR but no accompanying illustration, while 38-802 is listed as 'early BR black' and has an SR runner so is presumably the SR version in a different livery and with a different runner (which matches pictures of later SR runners).  

This is an example of where not having seen the real things is an advantage! - To me if it looks reasonably accurate, and has appropriate numbers on the side, then I'm happy.

From past performance I suspect they will all use the same tooling and just be produced in different liveries.

• RMweb Premium

None of that Thatchers Gold bollox either, Ched or some similar rough cider will sort you right Ducks, you won't be 'restless' in any way shape or form!

But Cheddar Valley is from Thatchers, at Sandford, just down the road from Yatton going via Congresbury. It's only 6%, that's nearly water by cider standards. Incidentally tours of Myrtle Farm (including the cider plant) start from the Railway Inn in Sandford.

Far better to buy direct from one of the many farmers in the area that press their own. I can speak well of Broadoak Cider Company at Clutton. A little further east, on the route, pretty much of the S&D (see, there's another railway connection). I commend Moonshine (highly drinkable and pretty potent even if it tastes innocuous) and have yet to sample Old Bristolian.

I could list a very large number of rather nice juice of the apple from that area but I'd probably bore everyone or, more likely, get shown the door.

Edited by Richard E

• RMweb Premium

my geek son in law suggested using a Raspberry pi to control the whole thing - I always thought that was something you ate, but apparently it is a fully functional computer for less than the most of a decent wagon 

I've got one of those sitting in my loft tracking civil and military aircraft via a DAB dongle of all things!

I've got one of those sitting in my loft tracking civil and military aircraft via a DAB dongle of all things!

Hmm looks like we've got one of those English Airmen in our midst Herr Duck. One has to assume he is listening out in the hope offing rescued.

Do you think he knows where the picture of the Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies has been hidden?

Even more important - can we get to him before Herr Flick of the Gestapo?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But Cheddar Valley is from Thatchers, at Sandford, just down the road from Yatton going via Congresbury. It's only 6%, that's nearly water by cider standards. Incidentally tours of Myrtle Farm (including the cider plant) start from the Railway Inn in Sandford.

Far better to buy direct from one of the many farmers in the area that press their own. I can speak well of Broadoak Cider Company at Clutton. A little further east, on the route, pretty much of the S&D (see, there's another railway connection). I commend Moonshine (highly drinkable and pretty potent even if it tastes innocuous) and have yet to sample Old Bristolian.

I could list a very large number of rather nice juice of the apple from that area but I'd probably bore everyone or, more likely, get shown the door.

Broadoak is one of the ciders that doesn't 'agree with me', I think it's because they use the Kingston Black apple, the flavour of which I love :(

• RMweb Premium

Sadly my only access to Cider will be probably be at the pub in Yatton where the Reception is happening. I shall only partake if it is proper job stuff, not that fizzy pi## that comes out of a gas pump on the counter. I might visit the Cider Museum in Hereford on the Sunday and buy a few bottles!

hey ho.

Phil

• Like 1

Shall I try to bring things back on topic?

You should also be aware that within your travels you will be near to model shops at Portishead, Yatton (I believe)

and Bristol (St George), plus Cheltenham of course as you return North.

I know you may find the need for a fix, I'm only sorry I'm tied up this weekend and can't offer you a pit stop on the way

to the city of my birth.

• RMweb Premium

Shall I try to bring things back on topic?

You should also be aware that within your travels you will be near to model shops at Portishead, Yatton (I believe)

and Bristol (St George), plus Cheltenham of course as you return North.

I know you may find the need for a fix, I'm only sorry I'm tied up this weekend and can't offer you a pit stop on the way

to the city of my birth.

The Yatton Shop is now in Clifton. Sadly I have no time on Saturday and will be in Malvern on Monday morning. If SWMBO wasn't there I might have meandered back across country visiting numorous places of interest! 

Thanks for the offer and I do hope the Bondage party goes well. :scared: Maybe another time?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Enough of this. Breaking News.... the Pecoboobs points (see what I did there?) thread is hotting up!

Phil

I saw.  Who TF is that 71000 guy?  what a knob.

I actually agreed with something MW said - Peco are VERY market aware, they are no fools.  That Peco is still owned by a small family group seems to escape people.  I met them all from the Chair and CEO down last year on a one to one visit (dealers privilege!), and they are very friendly, intelligent and astute.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I actually agreed with something MW said - Peco are VERY market aware, they are no fools.  That Peco is still owned by a small family group seems to escape people.  I met them all from the Chair and CEO down last year on a one to one visit (dealers privilege!), and they are very friendly, intelligent and astute.

Neil, I wanted to "Agree" with at least three things in your post. I will leave you to decide which they are.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I didn't like working with cranes - bloomin' great expensive time wasting things (especially when doing lifts of a derailed dmu at Subway Jcn during the evening peak).  But alas not everything could be handled by jacks or somewhat less than official D-I-Y rerailing using old fishplates, timber packing and - big luxury if you happened to have some handy - a few bits of steel plate (and no buffer-locked Oleo buffers, please).

Very often the easiest way back on was the way it came off. I remember doing that at Midcalder Junction on a Saturday night in winter. A class 40 had come off at a set of catch points that hadn't been clipped for running wrong line in a possession. As there was 18 inches of snow covering the rails by the time I got there, I suggested to the driver that he just tried going in reverse for a yard or two. Success!

It was always worth a try, as even if it didn't work you were unlikely to do much damage.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Once down Pengam yard, I think it was, Saturday afternoon, class 08 off, mr smartass is called out, and thinks “let’s drive her on” so, loose bits of wood, fishplates, try that, driver, forward a bit, right, reset, now then bit more, and it started to become clear that the loco was gaining height to railtop level, but as she did, it was rotating sideways more at right angles to the track. , lets call out the vans.

• Like 1

Back in my publishing days I worked for the then publishers of Railway Magazine, Steam Railway and the Railway Gazette International . My boss at the time was dead keen to 'complete the stable' as he described it and enjoyed many excellent lunches with the Elder Mr. .Pritchard in an attempt to get him to sell his beloved magazine. 

AS current events now prove, however convincing Peter Yapp may have been , and however convivial the lunches, he never achieved his ambition. IN fact some years later we sold Steam Railway to EMAP, and Railway Mag went over to the consumer arm before ending up somewhere up in the Midlands.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Totally off topic, I have cold wet feet. Gus the Gun Dog (black Labrador) needed to go out for a pee. He ran down to the darkest part of the garden barking and snarling at next doors dogs. He would not come back. Our garden at the moment is a swamp following today's "showers". I had to go and get him in quickly. I lost a slipper in the quagmire.

post-16423-0-80051300-1511996603_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1