SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

Oh ti#s. That is very nice and reminds me I should probably have just one of those. However it ain't a Tavern but I do thank you from the heart of my bottom.

That be a D2660 RKS/U and tended to work on the Southampton and Bournemouth routes. Very handsome coach and reminds us all that MK1s were very much based on Bulleids (and somewhat the later LMS and LNER steel framed designs) but with steel frames of course.

Now, I wonder which kit/sides they are; long gone Southern Pride maybe; Bill Bedford (Mousa) sides? Great paint job too.

S.Tockbook

Sorry about that; hopefully this is the right one! From the pictures I managed to find the underframes were very similar after conversion to propane (perhaps not surprisingly). Like you I had initially made up a long gas tank, then had to change it when I realised it didn't fit with my running period. I have two Tavern Car sets as well as the Bournemouth set (which were 247 Developments sides, sadly no longer available). Propane boxes and other undergubbins are butchered from spares and plasticard using the photos.

Sides on the Tavern Car are Comet modified as we had previously discussed, with a Mk1 shell and Bachmann bogies. Interiors are scratch built from plasticard - the restaurant trailer is a nightmare as it is nearly all windows.post-13679-0-35712400-1511356870_thumb.jpg

Love the progress on the layout - keep it up!

Tony

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Sorry about that; hopefully this is the right one! From the pictures I managed to find the underframes were very similar after conversion to propane (perhaps not surprisingly). Like you I had initially made up a long gas tank, then had to change it when I realised it didn't fit with my running period. I have two Tavern Car sets as well as the Bournemouth set (which were 247 Developments sides, sadly no longer available). Propane boxes and other undergubbins are butchered from spares and plasticard using the photos.

Sides on the Tavern Car are Comet modified as we had previously discussed, with a Mk1 shell and Bachmann bogies. Interiors are scratch built from plasticard - the restaurant trailer is a nightmare as it is nearly all windows.attachicon.gifDSCF1749a.jpg

Love the progress on the layout - keep it up!

Tony

Excellent thank you. Your version sounds like a damn good mix to me. That underframe array looks a damn site more organised than mine. Might get another couple of pairs of  Comet sides and try something like that. I do have another full, Comet Kit to do as well but I could actually do with 4 of these Taverns anyway. Were we talking Mainline Mk 1s as good donors? I know someone was. I feel a winter of this, content (see what I did there?) to hack coaches activity. 

Can you remind me what paint finish you use; apologies if you have already told me.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm 1973... getting worried I'll get banned for being too young!

Bloomin' kids getting everywhere nowadays.  The place was far better when the old King was still on the throne (although his daughter's Coronation was a fun day and I won a prize in a fancy dress competition - oh and my gran who'd had the electric put in that year had got a telly so we watched the Coronation on it).

• Like 2

Excellent thank you. Your version sounds like a damn good mix to me. That underframe array looks a damn site more organised than mine. Might get another couple of pairs of  Comet sides and try something like that. I do have another full, Comet Kit to do as well but I could actually do with 4 of these Taverns anyway. Were we talking Mainline Mk 1s as good donors? I know someone was. I feel a winter of this, content (see what I did there?) to hack coaches activity. 

Can you remind me what paint finish you use; apologies if you have already told me.

Phil

Phil,

I used the Hachette Mk1 as they were similar to the Mainline Mk1, but quite a bit cheaper! I file off all the raised surface detail then add a strip of 5 thou plasticard at waist level as the Bulleid sides have a more rounded side profile. The brass sides are fixed onto the donor sides with Evo Stick which is great fun as it melts the plastic coach side - I have never had one come off yet!

The paint is from a local auto factor who made it up from a swatch I made from Precision Paint BR SR coach green (which I can then use to touch up). It costs a bit more than a Halfords can (£12 last time if I remember correctly) but I can specify what type of finish I require and a 400ml can will do about 6 coaches worth and they don't clog like some others. Unfortunately I am useless with an airbrush - no patience!

Like you I am just finishing off some Bulleids I started last November - I tried to do too many at once, got fed up and did some other modelling for a while but am now trying to get them finished before Christmas.

No doubt Hornby will then announce they are producing a super-detailed version! This happened with my M7's.

Look forward to seeing the result of your efforts.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

I used the Hachette Mk1 as they were similar to the Mainline Mk1, but quite a bit cheaper! I file off all the raised surface detail then add a strip of 5 thou plasticard at waist level as the Bulleid sides have a more rounded side profile. The brass sides are fixed onto the donor sides with Evo Stick which is great fun as it melts the plastic coach side - I have never had one come off yet!

The paint is from a local auto factor who made it up from a swatch I made from Precision Paint BR SR coach green (which I can then use to touch up). It costs a bit more than a Halfords can (£12 last time if I remember correctly) but I can specify what type of finish I require and a 400ml can will do about 6 coaches worth and they don't clog like some others. Unfortunately I am useless with an airbrush - no patience!

Like you I am just finishing off some Bulleids I started last November - I tried to do too many at once, got fed up and did some other modelling for a while but am now trying to get them finished before Christmas.

No doubt Hornby will then announce they are producing a super-detailed version! This happened with my M7's.

Look forward to seeing the result of your efforts.

Tony

Many thanks. Yes, I had forgotten the Hatchettes. Don't have any of those but I do have plenty of old Hornby Mk1s and a bunch of Mainline ones. I've got quite a few 'conversions' lined up so I think I'll get the equipment sorted for that and do them all at the same time.

I'll investigate if there is somewhere local to 36E that will do that paint mix.

Phil