SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Thought some of you might like to see this  -  the end of the former branch from uptha Junction.

Seaton beach, middle of this afternoon.

attachicon.gifIMG_20171102_150245_227a.jpg

Perfect late May / early June day.  Warm sunshine, millpond sea, boats on the water, people in it.

What could be better?

I wish Threadlethopre beach was like that this afternoon. Waves were a fair size, the sky was dull, tide was coming in, no seals to watch, and very few sea gulls. Normally late afternoon it looks like it has snowed there are that many white sea birds on the beach. The most exciting part was watching a gaggle of geese about 200 strong fly over as they made their way to the salt marsh.

Some afternoons the RAF give the geese a challenge, they fly along the seashore at 100 to 200 feet, you can see the pilot in his Tornado. You see them first and the sound doesn't reach you until they are disappearing, they must be very close to the speed of sound. 

• Like 4

Whats a strange turn this topic (even for SOS Jct) has taken the last few days, very enjoyable !

After all, what did they ever do for us?

Is that Hadrian's Wall ? How was something like that ever supposed to stop a band of Marauding Celts ? I'm pretty sure I could step over that.

I'm a little confused. People must have been very short back then. Can someone please explain ? :scratchhead:

NRM; a little different and they have moved the carved up Spam and now you can touch it; umm, smooth. Busy as it is Yk's half term but enjoyed the peace of the gallery Library and then a good poke around the 'hidden collections'. Western in the works with a dismantled A4 '7. Smeltic parked outside; couldn't see which one.

No A4s,3s,1s or any steam on the main line. Boo!

G.Oodayout

Sounded like a good Day Phil, I will put it on My must do list when I finally get there, any pictures ?

Did you mention York?

post-23233-0-59170600-1509671260.jpg

That's where I live, (We are very original with our town names - York, Newcastle, Perth, Cardiff etc.)

but I cannot ever recall either Jenny or Nigella visiting :( possibly because the station / line closed for passenger traffic in 1979 and they didn't have a car !!

post-23233-0-52367100-1509672597.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

Being as that the topic has somehow got onto the topic of railways. After which I accidentally dragged you blokes halfway around the world. I may as well tell you blokes a little bit about York in WA.

York was where the Government owned WAGR (West Oz Govt. Railway) ended and the privately owned Great Southern Railway (I told you we were imaginative) began.

The 3' 6" gauge GSR was built to take produce (grain, wool etc) South to the port at Albany for export.

It had some pretty savage gradients, so numerous but lighter and smaller trains or banking were the order of the day initially.

In the late 1890's the GSR was absorbed into the Government Network (sound familiar ?) but still managed to retain much of it's individual character as buildings and infrastructure were quite different in design to the Govt. built versions.

Signs of the GSR were still in evidence for decades over a century later.

post-23233-0-12025800-1509675928.jpg

During the Mid 50's an order was placed for a number rugged 2 -8- 2 locomotives to be known as the V class. These were built in the UK by Stevenson's in Darlington with a view to being easily converted to SG at some point if required.

These brutes were originally ordered for Coal Traffic at Collie, but soon found their way onto the GSR where they were able to handle pretty decent sized trains over the steep gradients unassisted. They were the last steam locomotives to come into service in WA and were among the very best.

Unfortunately WA insisted on following the UK with a rapid dieselisation Program (even going as far as to order the terrible Met Vic Crossley engined nightmares).

It took many years before a Diesel came into service that could match what the V could do, but it still didn't save them. Most were sent for scrap before they even hit 18 years old. (sound like the 9f anyone ?)

Modernisation My ar$e, it was criminal.

post-23233-0-18883000-1509675906.jpg

So a bit of History about the most Southern of Southern Railways and one of it's favourite engines.

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Being as that the topic has somehow got onto the topic of railways. After which I accidentally dragged you blokes halfway around the world. I may as well tell you blokes a little bit about York in WA.

York was where the Government owned WAGR (West Oz Govt. Railway) ended and the privately owned Great Southern Railway (I told you we were imaginative) began.

The 3' 6" gauge GSR was built to take produce (grain, wool etc) South to the port at Albany for export.

It had some pretty savage gradients, so numerous but lighter and smaller trains or banking were the order of the day initially.

In the late 1890's the GSR was absorbed into the Government Network (sound familiar ?) but still managed to retain much of it's individual character as buildings and infrastructure were quite different in design to the Govt. built versions.

attachicon.gifGSR.JPG

During the Mid 50's an order was placed for a number rugged 2 -8- 2 locomotives to be known as the V class. These were built in the UK by Stevenson's in Darlington with a view to being easily converted to SG at some point if required.

These brutes were originally ordered for Coal Traffic at Collie, but soon found their way onto the GSR where they were able to handle pretty decent sized trains over the steep gradients unassisted. They were the last steam locomotives to come into service in WA and were among the very best.

Unfortunately WA insisted on following the UK with a rapid dieselisation Program (even going as far as to order the terrible Met Vic Crossley engined nightmares).

It took many years before a Diesel came into service that could match what the V could do, but it still didn't save them. Most were sent for scrap before they even hit 18 years old. (sound like the 9f anyone ?)

attachicon.gifV class.JPG

So a bit of History about the most Southern of Southern Railways and one of it's favourite engines.

Makes our Vs look a little too little. However our Vs were powerful as well.

Nice looking loco. though.

Remember that some 9Fs lasted less than 6 years. Absolute tragedy and a complete management shambles. Still makes me angry.

Phil

Phil

• Like 1

attachicon.gifGSR.JPG

attachicon.gifV class.JPG

Funny how closely the resembles some of the Indian Pacific, also turned out from the same works, and in a strange way is redolent of a Stanier 8F

• RMweb Premium

Midland-looking frame there, Herr Docktor Quacklingburghausenmannschaftstasseteeaufdemtisch.

I didn't look to see the origin as I was knackered by the time I got round to this area. I was interested in what the white bands signify on the two red levers?

I've also just realised that there is a hook on the 'bang plate' from which the lower link of the screw coupling is hanging. Never noticed that before either.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Today my Horrocksford Whorewells arrived and as Neal had mentioned to me, the packaging is very silly. The boxes are huge. My interpretation is that Oxford are going to be producing coach length items* in the future and they have already got the box sorted.

*Maunsell  and Bulleid Dining Coaches?

Well, I have yet to unbox them but that will happen later this evening. My decision about their use may be modified to some equipment being transported to/from Meltdown Quarry. Had I mentioned the other idea about them being used to transport MOD equipment to/from Okehampton for 'activities' on the beautiful Dartmoor? I have seen pictures of stuff being loaded/unloaded there at some time, either 1st War Cavalry stuff or around the D Day preparations. I can't remember where I saw that.

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Best look where you're going then !

H.E.Felover-Walker

Is that there extra rail electrocuted or for running both 00 and EM? 

Whoops wrong quote

Nope ! Can't see Warmee wells here,

Maybe they've all been camouflaged in the hinterland thats lovelee Darteemore ?  :scratchhead:

post-20303-0-04810400-1509740617_thumb.j

U.N.Derabush

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Today my Horrocksford Whorewells arrived and as Neal had mentioned to me, the packaging is very silly. The boxes are huge. My interpretation is that Oxford are going to be producing coach length items* in the future and they have already got the box sorted.

*Maunsell  and Bulleid Dining Coaches?

Well, I have yet to unbox them but that will happen later this evening. My decision about their use may be modified to some equipment being transported to/from Meltdown Quarry. Had I mentioned the other idea about them being used to transport MOD equipment to/from Okehampton for 'activities' on the beautiful Dartmoor? I have seen pictures of stuff being loaded/unloaded there at some time, either 1st War Cavalry stuff or around the D Day preparations. I can't remember where I saw that.

Ar$£

I have founded the stuff about the 'Military Siding' at Okey. The wonders of the webby thing. They did actually load tanks there in 1957 (Suez time).

Still ranges near there today but I doubt the PBI ever go there by train.

Cnl Mustardbath

• RMweb Gold

Wot, you really did go on it? WTF is it CK?

Is it the remains of the Kingsbridge Branch? :stinker:

Phil

The Okehampton Military Target Practice Railway, not that far from Okehampton station, up on the moor and close to an army type place. I'll have to dig the photos out.

2' gauge or similar (definitely not P4).

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Okehampton Military Target Practice Railway, not that far from Okehampton station, up on the moor and close to an army type place. I'll have to dig the photos out.

2' gauge or similar (definitely not P4).

Blimey, that really is what I was mumbling about. Did you know that in the second WWar there was a bloody great gun taken down to Halwill and seemingly fired shells onto dartmoor for some weird reason. Were they fighting sheep or Ponies or something, believing that it was Herr Krautmeister's spies in  gay costumes?

Neddy Bleater 

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, that really is what I was mumbling about. Did you know that in the second WWar there was a bloody great gun taken down to Halwill and seemingly fired shells onto dartmoor for some weird reason. Were they fighting sheep or Ponies or something, believing that it was Herr Krautmeister's spies in  gay costumes?

Neddy Bleater

Thats why people think Dartmoor ponies are short. They're not, they're just all standing in bomb craters

S.Hellshocked