SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

OK I'm off to Donny and then the NRM.

Phil

Aha, York late morning arrival. Return on the 16:02 or 18:02 if travelling direct, slightly earlier if changing at Donny. I'll be through Retford on the fast at about 18:06. It's dark then so not a lot to see, not that there is a lot left compared to years gone by.

Not a lot of note at Donny, Class 91 and 225 set in the IEP depot comes to mind, it was there this morning when I came past. Not sure about the NRM, not popped over from work for a while, must do so before I finish commuting next month.

Hope you have had a good day and that the journey hasn't been too arduous, normally isn't outside commuting times I believe.

• Like 1

They invented Latin which lets people who know about gardens be insufferably pompous

Nope - doesn't count. People who know a lot about gardens would still have been insufferably pompous without any help from the Romans...

Oops sorry - your gardens really are all very nice. Honest.

(better go and find me hat and coat)

Nope - doesn't count. People who know a lot about gardens would still have been insufferably pompous without any help from the Romans...

Oops sorry - your gardens really are all very nice. Honest.

(better go and find me hat and coat)

My mother, God rest her soul, was passionate about her garden even though she didn't know many plant names - (SWMBO is much the same, so clearly there is something in the suggestion that all men marry their mothers!).

I recall mum coming home one day from visiting a large private garden over in Ireland where we were living at the time

She was clutching a cutting she had been given by the head gardener, who had obviously taken a shine to her, judging by her recounting of the days events over dinner.

It turned out  that she had told him  she was mighty impressed by the size of his hydrangeas, which he called 'HumDrumjums'

He asked if she would like a bit, and she responded positively, so he took a cutting and invited her back to his potting shed for a quick lesson in how to make thinks grow successfully from small beginnings.

Certainly she came back with a lovely big bloom and a happy smile on her face, and from that day forward said plants were always known in our household as 'HumDrumJums'

I can't help but wonder with all this feminist stuff going on in the news if that would be seen as inappropriate these days.

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Aha, York late morning arrival. Return on the 16:02 or 18:02 if travelling direct, slightly earlier if changing at Donny. I'll be through Retford on the fast at about 18:06. It's dark then so not a lot to see, not that there is a lot left compared to years gone by.

Not a lot of note at Donny, Class 91 and 225 set in the IEP depot comes to mind, it was there this morning when I came past. Not sure about the NRM, not popped over from work for a while, must do so before I finish commuting next month.

Hope you have had a good day and that the journey hasn't been too arduous, normally isn't outside commuting times I believe.

11.10 off Retford (Hulk Trains) where Costa had a GF Wrap.....result, then met son and noticed new Bay Platform at the north end orf Donny for the nasty little shuttle to/from Scunny is it ?

At Donny there was a 67 taking away 2 91s from the Bay Platform 2, one coal going north 66712 then the Montezumasrevenge 800 going North. Bloody rapid acceleration from a signal stop.

12.10 225 off Donny P4, Coach C; crowded but seats available.

NRM; a little different and they have moved the carved up Spam and now you can touch it; umm, smooth. Busy as it is Yk's half term but enjoyed the peace of the gallery Library and then a good poke around the 'hidden collections'. Western in the works with a dismantled A4 '7. Smeltic parked outside; couldn't see which one.

At York there was one coal going south at about 15.45 (same loco?). I found out that I can phone and order a Gluten Free Pasty (proper Cornish too) to be prepared for my arrival or prepared during my visit (needs an hour).  37038 seems to be a DRS for hire machine sat in a siding? Son and I puzzled by number of bikes parked at York.

16.02 return, HST coach B so we could hear the power car rattling. Plenty of GBRF and the Zuma set sitting down at Black Carr.

Nobody had stolen my bike on return to 36E. 

No delays on any service.

No A4s,3s,1s or any steam on the main line. Boo!

G.Oodayout

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 11

Thought some of you might like to see this  -  the end of the former branch from uptha Junction.

Seaton beach, middle of this afternoon.

post-11812-0-87197600-1509661296_thumb.jpg

Perfect late May / early June day.  Warm sunshine, millpond sea, boats on the water, people in it.

What could be better?

• Like 10