SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Isn’t there a chap of that name working for the red box people? Are you impersonating him? We should be told!

I do not and never intend to have any connection with the Government, especially the Chancellor of the Exchequer. 

Robin Bast#rd 

• Like 1

Grimsby.

Trip advisor tells Me that there are 17 things to do in Grimsby

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g503975-Activities-Grimsby_Lincolnshire_England.html

Other sources tell Me that the number one thing to do is - Leave.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/grimsby-voted-worst-place-live-70623

Surely somewhere with 17 things to do can't be that bad ?

• RMweb Premium

Grimsby.

Only 18 miles from where I live. After mine and my son's first visit my son said they had used 3 too many letters in the name. Sorry I don't see what is funny about "Msby".  :rtfm:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon I attempted to recreate the August 1961 11.40 Exeter Waterloo with 13 coaches. This would be one of the ACEs and was a Packet duty.

Here is the formation:

2 x BSK/CK Maunsell Sets (Hornby)

SO Bulleid (but I probably need a Maunsell SO)

RF Maunsell (Modified Kirk Kit)

SK Bulleid

2 x Bullied 3 sets L (BSK/CK/BSK)

The Bulleids are all Bachmann at the moment and may not be the correct Diagram.

There were two other 13 coach expresses, six 12 coach expresses (one of which is the Brighton and will probably be Mk 1s, and seventeen other expresses + the 11 Coach Car Train, SO and the Cleethorpes SO (I think I shall just 'create these' from cassette storage when I need a good photo).

Then there were the Stoppers (usually just three coaches)!

Fortunately I shall use the Gilbert Barnatt formula for coach utilisation. That means I shall have a few rakes that remain as a 'train' and sit in sidings and the other trains will be made up from other loose stock in cassetes; probably an up and down ACE will be permanent.

This will mean some stock rationalisation. For example I know I have too many Maunsell Brakes.

Sorting those workings out is going to be huge fun. Some early and possibly later down expresses (couple were really slow) will be excluded as they passed through SJ in the  early dawn or evening twilight, but there is a 01.25 off Waterloo that was also a newspaper train so that will be included as that will look cool as the yoof say.

The very few weekend goods/milk/parcels trains will be 'created'.

Weekday workings will mean a lot of creative set ups (e.g. Ballast and Goods) but there were fewer expresses.

So, 35019 took on the ACE and performed beautifully. I enjoyed watching that and it didn't look daft coming down the bank and through the virtual Station Up fast. I think the CCE will enjoy watching that too.

Such fun this afternoon.

Philth

I've just been reading that there were some 'shorter' expresses with Class 8 power (Packet) allocated to the duty in case extra coaches (up to 4) were required. Well, that sort of proves Dudders correct to a degree, however it would probably have been a requirement for CK, SK or SO. I have an excess of SOs (Bulleids) too so that's not so bad after all. Plenty of modeller's licence there as well.

OK I'm off to Donny and then the NRM.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hull Dairycoates

As in 'I'll get my Dairycoat?'

In other words, 'I'm off to the dairy now to do a spot of milking, I may be gone some time'.

No, no, no, that's not me that's off to the dairy, it must be someone else. I don't know anyone with a dairy, and if I did, I might keep it secret.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

In other words, 'I'm off to the dairy now to do a spot of milking, I may be gone some time'.

No, no, no, that's not me that's off to the dairy, it must be someone else. I don't know anyone with a dairy, and if I did, I might keep it secret.

OH I thought that we were trying to end up at Mornington Crescent  anyway 4479 has made the next move, although I'm struggling to find which line it is on!

Indeed - the obvious move would have been Manchester Piccadilly, but that would have opened up the New Street option which would have created a potential use of the Chilterns diversion, International does somewhat narrow the options and can be reached from Broadbottom with just one change .

Challenge - how do you get to Clyst from B'Ham International with just one change?

I believe you need a prescription and some cream !  :jester:

B.B. Boyle

• Like 1

Ah you're using the Seaton Diversion - I thought that was only allowable on a Wednesday when the month has an even number of days?

Of course if I say 'Waterloo' then you're straight onto the Northern line and game over, so instead I'll go for Basingstoke!

• RMweb Gold

I believe a "beer coat" is the feeling one gets of being able to brave the elements without an outer garment, after a session in the pub.

So a dairycoat would presumably be a similar feeling of impenetrability after drinking a large volume of milk? 

Or covering oneself with butter....?