SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I don't really understand this Trick or Treat carp and I don't like being called a spoilsport just because I think it isn't a great thing to be 'celebrating'.  Wouldn't have a problem with people having a party at their own house or somewhere where they don't disturb all of us that don't want to join in. Some people might complain if Carol Singers disturb them nearer Christmas but at least that is more acceptable IMO. However, no kids come around doing that any more. Even the Rotary is a blooming awful PA System with horrible, tinny noise coming froma gaudy Santa Sleigh. However, their effort is a genuine effort to raise money for local people in need. 

Anyway I avoided most of the rubbish by being up The Junction and just leaving some sweets outside with a polite note asking for no tricks but do take a treat. Little uns I did see were OK and excited/polite/grateful. Late wandering and non local teenagers threw the sweet wrappers on the road and were generally a nuisance along our road. I won't bother next year.

So up the Junction I placed the very recently delivered Pecobooby point, unmodified, straight from the pack, from that kind Newhaven Neal's place of entertainment, in position and lo it worked without any problems. Hoorah.

I celebrated that by sticking a Decoder in the first 'Modified' Packet to grace SOSJ. 35019 is now in charge of the down Surbiton/ Okehampton Car Train (and no, I still have not fitted the roof boards to the GUVs).

It would appear that there are just a couple of places now in the Down Yard where there will be trickery working once I fit points motors. As the dead bits are non important at the moment I'm not bothering with temporary Juicers.

I have also noticed a couple of places where the track is not as level as it could be and one of these is at the east end of the Station and needs adjustment. I might just wait for the CCE before I fiddle with that. Other than that and apart from the usual but occasional 'ghost in the machine' behaviour of the DCC supply, all seems OK and I am well pleased.

However, today I was sad to hear that Smiffy has some health issues that he has to deal with and he is packing up his layout as he is moving as part of that 'dealing with' plan. Puts things into perspective and I'd like to wish him all the best and I am sure his next layout effort will be a great project. I have suggested a coastal destination, sea air and all that. Weymouth, Lyme Regis, Sidsmouth; all good and bracing destinations. 

On a lighter note, I see Mr Sweet is running a Devonian I think it is and that has tempted me to get out some of my BR WR Choccy and Cream Mk1s and run a 'diversion'. Just for testing purposes you understand.

Rigtht, I'm knackered now so away to the Sleeping Car.

L. Andofnod

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Not convinced it is on the block shelf, but may be attached to the wall of the box? No idea what it is, so CK’s entirely plausible explanation will have to do.

Definitely not on the blockshelf.  The pipework suggests to me that it might be something to do with water - no room to mount it near the stove hence the pipe coming overhead from the stove?  So posssibly a sort of water heating tank???

And having looked at some later posts a few more comments -

1.  No pneumo whatsit signallising in use there - the points were worked by rodding (visible on pics of the junction in t'old days) and all the levers except the one at the far end (a Distant) have full length handles so are mechanical working.

2.  I can't think of any use that tank would be for any sort of signalling stuff hence my view that it was probably something to do with water in the 'box.

Incidentally looking more closely at the pic I see there are some electric lock plungers on the block shelf which suggests it is not an A2 frame and a closer look at the tread plates now leads me to the view that it is a Stevens frame dating from L&SWR days.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Definitely not on the blockshelf.  The pipework suggests to me that it might be something to do with water - no room to mount it near the stove hence the pipe coming overhead from the stove?  So posssibly a sort of water heating tank???

And having looked at some later posts a few more comments -

1.  No pneumo whatsit signallising in use there - the points were worked by rodding (visible on pics of the junction in t'old days) and all the levers except the one at the far end (a Distant) have full length handles so are mechanical working.

2.  I can't think of any use that tank would be for any sort of signalling stuff hence my view that it was probably something to do with water in the 'box.

Incidentally looking more closely at the pic I see there are some electric lock plungers on the block shelf which suggests it is not an A2 frame and a closer look at the tread plates now leads me to the view that it is a Stevens frame dating from L&SWR days.

Classic info Mike. I think it might well be a water storage or heater tank. I'm hoping my S.B. Interior will represent this frame.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Classic info Mike. I think it might well be a water storage or heater tank. I'm hoping my S.B. Interior will represent this frame.

Phil

Hi Phil

You know the model signalman will be for ever known as Jim 'Horse Radish' Jones. :yes: :yes: :yes:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon I attempted to recreate the August 1961 11.40 Exeter Waterloo with 13 coaches. This would be one of the ACEs and was a Packet duty.

Here is the formation:

2 x BSK/CK Maunsell Sets (Hornby)

SO Bulleid (but I probably need a Maunsell SO)

RF Maunsell (Modified Kirk Kit)

SK Bulleid

2 x Bullied 3 sets L (BSK/CK/BSK)

The Bulleids are all Bachmann at the moment and may not be the correct Diagram.

There were two other 13 coach expresses, six 12 coach expresses (one of which is the Brighton and will probably be Mk 1s, and seventeen other expresses + the 11 Coach Car Train, SO and the Cleethorpes SO (I think I shall just 'create these' from cassette storage when I need a good photo).

Then there were the Stoppers (usually just three coaches)!

Fortunately I shall use the Gilbert Barnatt formula for coach utilisation. That means I shall have a few rakes that remain as a 'train' and sit in sidings and the other trains will be made up from other loose stock in cassetes; probably an up and down ACE will be permanent.

This will mean some stock rationalisation. For example I know I have too many Maunsell Brakes.

Sorting those workings out is going to be huge fun. Some early and possibly later down expresses (couple were really slow) will be excluded as they passed through SJ in the  early dawn or evening twilight, but there is a 01.25 off Waterloo that was also a newspaper train so that will be included as that will look cool as the yoof say.

The very few weekend goods/milk/parcels trains will be 'created'.

Weekday workings will mean a lot of creative set ups (e.g. Ballast and Goods) but there were fewer expresses.

So, 35019 took on the ACE and performed beautifully. I enjoyed watching that and it didn't look daft coming down the bank and through the virtual Station Up fast. I think the CCE will enjoy watching that too.

Such fun this afternoon.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 15

So, 35019 took on the ACE and performed beautifully. I enjoyed watching that and it didn't look daft coming down the bank and through the virtual Station Up fast. I think the CCE will enjoy watching that too.

Drooling already...

xD

• RMweb Gold

For example I know I have too many Maunsell Brakes.

There is no such thing for a location such as your chosen layout. The Winter formations of W of E trains were a line of BCKs, one to each branch. You know it makes sense.

• Like 1

For those who can't remember (please stand up!), did the SR ever have a restaurant car on the appropriate Friary to Waterloo trains?  Probably I am remembering the GW trains to Paddington although most of our journeys were on the Southern.  Always liked Friary, a bit dark and gloomy with ghosts of the past but it was a 'proper' station while North Road was a mixture of old  and unfinished new buildings at the time devoid of any atmosphere.  It seems to have reverted back to this state over recent years.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is no such thing for a location such as your chosen layout. The Winter formations of W of E trains were a line of BCKs, one to each branch. You know it makes sense.

Well sort of but I really do have too many Maunsell Brakes and not enough Bulleid Brakes of the correct Diagram (loose stock). R U listening Hornby/Baccyboys? I can't afford time and/or dosh for a pile of Comet or Bedford sides for conversions. Well I might just get some; less expensive than full kits.

Nice try though Dudds. Almost had me again.......... :mail: 

Pharty 

• RMweb Premium

For those who can't remember (please stand up!), did the SR ever have a restaurant car on the appropriate Friary to Waterloo trains?  Probably I am remembering the GW trains to Paddington although most of our journeys were on the Southern.  Always liked Friary, a bit dark and gloomy with ghosts of the past but it was a 'proper' station while North Road was a mixture of old  and unfinished new buildings at the time devoid of any atmosphere.  It seems to have reverted back to this state over recent years.

Brian

Well AFAIK the Restaurant Cars for the Waterloos were attached at Central, certainly in my time era (1958 - 64/5).  The Brighton had a Mk1 Buffet in my days but might have had a RK and Saloon in earlier times? I( don't have any info to hand ref that but I might have somewhere upstairs.

I only visited Friary once and that was after it had closed (1958 I think). However, Devonport Kings Road, a sparsely used and again gloomy station, but truly impressive, was just across from my School and I actually caught a train 'home' from there to North Road; had a T9 on it. 1959 I think. Home was Peverell Corner by the way, almost as far again from North Road as school was from home. Happy days. sadly I hardly ever used the SR route to Exeter or return as the WR was quicker. Doh!

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Drooling already...

xD

Oh bu#####, I shall have to find the headboard and fettle some Engine (Head Signal) Discs. Don't expect coach boards though or a tail-lamp (unless I'm really on the ball).  

L.A. Zeeboy.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Oh, I forgot to tell you all that at Tai Chi today I discovered there is a foot position called a Duck.  :declare:

I also discovered that I require a couple of Warwells (that wasn't at Tai Chi, that was when I saw some on Track Shack's website). Do not ask! :rtfm:

Going to York tomorrow. Anyone need any pics of anything that is easily photted? :heat:

Ar$£

Oh, I forgot to tell you all that at Tai Chi today I discovered there is a foot position called a Duck.  :declare:

I've just taken some steroids (bad chest etc ) for the first time EVER ! 

I think this thread, and the rest of RMWeb will take on a whole new perspective and to be honest i'm currently feeling very happy WAHOO !

F.Loater

• RMweb Premium

I've just taken some steroids (bad chest etc ) for the first time EVER !

I think this thread, and the rest of RMWeb will take on a whole new perspective and to be honest i'm currently feeling very happy WAHOO !

F.Loater

You'll end up with a nice pair of baps if carry on with those things.

Mine are fablos.

Babs

Edit: and I'm not even on the Armstrong's ;)

Edited by Tim Dubya