SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Serious question chaps - sorry.

Whats that big cylindrical thing on the block shelf?

Could it be a vacuum tank? Just wondering whether SJ had pneumatic signalling in the early days. I have the SWC book on the system but it's been filed away by my PA... or worse by me.

• RMweb Premium

Package dispatched duck-wards.  Packed by Jane, e mailed by me, probably lost by Moyal Rail.....

Yea. Is Jane aware of my addiction? Royal Mail have been a bit poor the last few weeks having been an excellent service here for ever. Hope to see the package today then. Thanks Neil.

Philth

• RMweb Premium

What strikes me about that photo (Eastleigh?) is how clean and tidy the ground looks, contrary to the received wisdom amongst many railway modellers.

72A "..........very clean.......so clean it is very nice and clean and tidy. I like tidy and clean and there are engines.......they are not clean, not very niecly clean..........cleanly they are not and where are the people that cleanly clean......they have small hands?" (quote from A Trumpet, ex. 72A Foreman, September 1957).

FFS. Geroff

• RMweb Premium

Serious question chaps - sorry.

Whats that big cylindrical thing on the block shelf?

Looking at it, I would say that it is a low pressure vessel, but what for I couldn't say. It has several pipes to or from it and is supported by a couple of brackets.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, interesting that tank. I think there was Pne...pmu....penisu...pnmune......pumpy stuff for signals and points in the area but I have no idea where the tank would be and if it would be like that. I thought it might be some sort of storage tank for whatever but there are the 3 pipes that appear to come away from it towards the roof. I have no idea what it is. I suspect Mike or 'Dunsignalling' will know.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

You mean that doesn't happen in Kernow? Blimey, what's app down there? We also have Beamed Particle Transportaion up here and it works. :declare:

S.Cotty

We use small Fraggles for delivery service usually, that have infiltrated the world known as 'across', a place much despised by the average home bred three-legger. (must have/had 4 Manx grandparents to qualify - I only had 2).  The 'stop-overs' have a more relaxed attitude, and are occasionally allowed to visit said world 'across' using a transportation device known as 'the packet' or 'the boat'.  Sometimes preceded by the phrase 'you know where the boat goes from' if expressing negativity towards local custom and practice!

• RMweb Gold

Not convinced it is on the block shelf, but may be attached to the wall of the box? No idea what it is, so CK’s entirely plausible explanation will have to do.

In slightly more serious mode, I don't suppose it could be the Southern's equivalent of the W.R.'s 'Hurdy Gurdy',  which was a hand-operated apparatus to generate power for electric points?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I can't cope, but I have been soothed by finding (yet again) coach formations for most of the Summer Saturday through t'Junction workings (Waterloo/Exeter) in 1961 and usual loco allocation for the same. I think there are a couple of errors but life is too short to worry abput that. I do have some for 1958 as well, so plenty to work from.

Phil 

• Like 2

Having been somewhat distracted by the Memsahib's suggestion that we should relocate, with all its attendant consequences, I've missed out a whole lot of comment on here over the last week.

One way of catching up, that for some reason makes no less sense than the logical order, is to read the entries fro the latest backwards!

The population of Clackmannan were so looking forward to his visit. ò Mo chreach!!!!!

No way of catching the train either, apparently the Kincardine line closed for passenger traffic in the 30's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kincardine_Line#/media/File:Kincardine_line.png

Edit - TBH I've no idea why I even bothered to look that up - He's got into My head :O

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Premium

Having been somewhat distracted by the Memsahib's suggestion that we should relocate, with all its attendant consequences, I've missed out a whole lot of comment on here over the last week.

One way of catching up, that for some reason makes no less sense than the logical order, is to read the entries fro the latest backwards!

Hi Smifffy

I know that you have a vast superior knowledge of the English language than I will ever achieve so I was wondering if you could help me, what is this word "SENSE"? :dontknow: :dontknow:

Have you and Mrs Smiffy found a new abode? If not I have a couple of good condition cardboard boxes I could rent to you, you will have to come and collect them. :yes:

• RMweb Premium

No way of catching the train either, apparently the Kincardine line closed for passenger traffic in the 30's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kincardine_Line#/media/File:Kincardine_line.png

Edit - TBH I've no idea why I even bothered to look that up - He's got into My head :O

I thought there might be a problem I been stood at the station for the last two weeks.