SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Ah monsewers, such informative and amusing posts. My thanks. It never fails to amaze me at the generosity of folk on here, both in giving advice, encouragement, persevering with humourous interludes and, in some cases actual, or offers of, help and sometimes even actual 'gifts'. At some time in the future I shall have to do that Book thing where the author lists those that have helped during the production of the project. 

So, most recently and within a few days, I have had two wonderful gifts and I thank both those thoughtful people .......... the donors will remain anonymous for now, but one will be named in the not too distant future and their gift revealed then. However the other 'bag(s) of goodies' will appear shortly up the Junction. Thank you to my lunc-time companion today.

So you think I've not done any modelling today! Correct, however I have spent a very pleasant lunch break after Tai Chi admiring the plans of a RMW member and also pics of the collection of 7mm tankers for his layout. 

Then, after Doning (following lunch) I met a bloke at the refreshment table that just happened to be a MR person (Donny Club member) and we discussed the advantages of  WAGO 221s and LED Strip Lighting. Oh, such marvels of the modern age.

Sir Donor de Dusang

• Like 4

Ah monsewers, such informative and amusing posts. My thanks. It never fails to amaze me at the generosity of folk on here, both in giving advice, encouragement, persevering with humourous interludes and, in some cases actual, or offers of, help and sometimes even actual 'gifts'. At some time in the future I shall have to do that Book thing where the author lists those that have helped during the production of the project. 

So, most recently and within a few days, I have had two wonderful gifts and I thank both those thoughtful people .......... the donors will remain anonymous for now, but one will be named in the not too distant future and their gift revealed then. However the other 'bag(s) of goodies' will appear shortly up the Junction. Thank you to my lunc-time companion today.

So you think I've not done any modelling today! Correct, however I have spent a very pleasant lunch break after Tai Chi admiring the plans of a RMW member and also pics of the collection of 7mm tankers for his layout. 

Then, after Doning (following lunch) I met a bloke at the refreshment table that just happened to be a MR person (Donny Club member) and we discussed the advantages of  WAGO 221s and LED Strip Lighting. Oh, such marvels of the modern age.

Sir Donor de Dusang

I've put LED strips all-around the loft at Waverley East - and very bright they are too - you can see them in this pic which shows how bright they are compared to a Velux with full sun pouring in...

post-10395-0-13722100-1501082554.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Tape pencils to the middle of the platform side and the outer corner of the longest coach.

Place paper under the track - ensure pencil reach to paper.

Push coach along track, ensuring pencil leave marks.

Use paper as template for cutting platform.

Glue platform down with as much sticky stuff as possible.

Run GWR loco through platform and curse as cylinders foul platform edge.... :)

Merci Sir Stubby de Kernow.

Nothing more sophisticated than this required for Grantham's platforms.

attachicon.gifIMG_5087.JPG

In terms of the 'look', an important aspect to determine is the platform height. Most platforms were originally built a lot lower than we're used to (hence the step boards on coaching stock). Depending on location, they might have been raised at some stage (I think I noted concrete platform sides on some pix you've shown us of SJ but can't be certain). If the height is lower than solebar height then that'll make clearance issues a little easier.

Sir Tain of Nowt

Ah, Sir Tain of Nowt, that is an interesting thought. As SJ was rebuilt in 1928, I suspect it became a decent and standard LSWR Concrete Support (Exmouth J'n product) + Platform top height. There are loads of pictures to stick the ruler on and work it out in my Library of info and some very good DVDs for me to watch yet again.

post-2326-0-30311900-1501082908.jpg

post-2326-0-65315400-1501082923_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-84855000-1501082955.jpg

I shall spend time wif me resources a bit later.

Yo..

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Bloomin' 'eck  - I go away for a week and come back to find some real progress has taken place at Sosage Junction.  Must be the weather or has the mojo finally bitten back?

In case you're fed up with trains here's a picture of our holiday home - 

attachicon.gifDSCF9716.jpg

Classic Mike. What Ship is that please? Not the Mail Boat by any chance that visits all sorts of places in the Fijord areas?

• RMweb Premium

Enchantey.

Sir Eau de Toilet

Talking of eau de Toilette, today I rediscovered the 'body parts' for the over fed caterpillar and that is spooky because, in my slumber last night, I was thinking about how I might paint the board/track area black some way into the tunnel. I was also thinking how i might 'create a curtain of some description that is flexible enough to get pused apart by loco's and closes after the train has passed. Nothing technical, just some fabric or similar....... maybe......?

Sir Prise de la Bog.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bin bags.

Black ones are probably best.

Attach a curtain to each of the last two ( furthest from the tunnel mouth) segments.

Once the segments are in place, the extra black card can be used to seal the arches to the baseboard - this should then give a completely dark interior.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Talking of eau de Toilette, today I rediscovered the 'body parts' for the over fed caterpillar and that is spooky because, in my slumber last night, I was thinking about how I might paint the board/track area black some way into the tunnel. I was also thinking how i might 'create a curtain of some description that is flexible enough to get pused apart by loco's and closes after the train has passed. Nothing technical, just some fabric or similar....... maybe......?

Sir Prise de la Bog.

Caution there Duckstar......Any such fabric would have to be very light so as not to disturb any weathering etc.....

Thin fabric........mmmmm

post-14122-0-11292900-1501094440.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Caution there Duckstar......Any such fabric would have to be very light so as not to disturb any weathering etc.....

Thin fabric........mmmmm

Arggghh, my Pacemaker has just exploded..................................................

Sir Fabrique de la Noir.

• RMweb Premium

Bin bags.

Black ones are probably best.

Attach a curtain to each of the last two ( furthest from the tunnel mouth) segments.

Once the segments are in place, the extra black card can be used to seal the arches to the baseboard - this should then give a completely dark interior.

I've seen that done and plan to do the same for Tremewan Tunnel. The ones I saw were cut into narrow strips suspended from above rather than a big single sheet. At the very least you would want one strip over each track.

Our local club has also done something similar to hide a simple hole in the backscene, in this case using strips that continue the photographic background.

• RMweb Premium

I've seen that done and plan to do the same for Tremewan Tunnel. The ones I saw were cut into narrow strips suspended from above rather than a big single sheet. At the very least you would want one strip over each track.

Our local club has also done something similar to hide a simple hole in the backscene, in this case using strips that continue the photographic background.

Oh of course, bit like a thing they use in cold storage places or similar with vertical strips a bit like a vertical blind. Excellent as that will have very little resistance, a bit like me when JA is mentioned.

At the moment I'm desperately trying to get my head around the DCC Concepts ADS 8fx Decoder and whether it will only operate up to 8 points in tandem or if there is a trick one can use to get it to operate 16 points independantly (using DC power so it isn't going to suffer from DCC Shorts). I've got sevral cross overs that need tandem ops but not 8! However, I'd still be quite happy if I can just operate 8 points.

Ar$e.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh of course, bit like a thing they use in cold storage places or similar with vertical strips a bit like a vertical blind. Excellent as that will have very little resistance, a bit like me when JA is mentioned.

At the moment I'm desperately trying to get my head around the DCC Concepts ADS 8fx Decoder and whether it will only operate up to 8 points in tandem or if there is a trick one can use to get it to operate 16 points independantly (using DC power so it isn't going to suffer from DCC Shorts). I've got sevral cross overs that need tandem ops but not 8! However, I'd still be quite happy if I can just operate 8 points.

Ar$e.

Phil, each of the 8 decoders on the board will operate two motors at the same time but not independently of each other. You can work 8 pairs of points (for crossovers) or 8 independent points or any combination of these, but you can't work 16 independent points. Hope that makes sense.

By the way, no need to run in a separate DC supply for the points. Just run a separate DCC accessory bus and feed both it and the track bus through circuit breakers.

• RMweb Gold

Phil, each of the 8 decoders on the board will operate two motors at the same time but not independently of each other. You can work 8 pairs of points (for crossovers) or 8 independent points or any combination of these, but you can't work 16 independent points. Hope that makes sense.

By the way, no need to run in a separate DC supply for the points. Just run a separate DCC accessory bus and feed both it and the track bus through circuit breakers.

Took the words out of my mouth.....that's exactly what I was about to write

• RMweb Premium

Took the words out of my mouth.....that's exactly what I was about to write

After some hours sleep and more looking this a.m. this began to become clear again. Thank you chaps.

Simple really but my head was not working last evening.

Now I'm onto power supply and switches......I have so many switches and most of them are useless!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Surprising how often things look better after a night's sleep and the course becomes clearer; that's happened to me over the past couple of days as well!