SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Things learned.

Don't mark the inside of the SP hard plastic sides with permanent marker (unless it's a full brake kit!).  :nono:

Must glue stick on sides much more carefully.

post-2326-0-33448600-1462971932_thumb.jpg

(I don't think I can live with that nasty glue splodge, even from the 3' and passing train angle :scared: )

The peg method works. (SP recommendation, not my idea).

The Comet side is about 2mm too long but the combo of it and the hard plastic side does fit the SP frame.

post-2326-0-62059700-1462971911_thumb.jpg.

Things thought!

I think the Comet side is a bit too long to shorten to fit on the SP side, if you understand that odd statement. 

A Comet side, if shortened, would fit the SP ends and roof, but I think the SP floor frame moulding would then be weak and prone to bend without the hard plastic SP side fitted into it. Therefore I wonder if there is a way of 'reinforcing' the SP floor/frame moulding to make it more rigid?

Is all that too much of a faff and just build a Comet full kit?

Results?

I have removed the Comet side (easy and only left a tiny bit of marking on the SP hard plastic side), with no distortion of that side.

Conclusion.

I shall probably order replacement SP sides and several extra, hard plastic sides  (some for more experiments) as I've bu**ered up this one stick on side and hard plastic side from this kit and I want to see what one of these SP Kits looks like once completed. I've only ever done a printed hard side one before and that was OKish!

I do wish that SP still did their Bulleid Kits with  pre printed ready to fit, hard sides, as the range was excellent.

Ar$e

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Overheard two ladies talking about laundry and how to tell whether it was going to be ok to put washing on the line.

One said "I look at hubby lying in bed in the morning. If it's hanging left i know to put the washing out. If it's hanging right i know not to."

The other asked "What if it's not hanging left or right and it's straight up in the middle?"

"Who wants to do washing on a day like that???" Came the reply

• RMweb Premium

Impressive clothes peg models, Ducky.  They look just like real ones!

Are they OO gauge pegs or P4?  The difference is how far they open.

7mm and 2mm....and they are historic and also the kit sides can't smell anythingl

:stinker:

• RMweb Premium

Would it help if we crowd funded a new pair of gardening shoes?

For a moment I thought that was going to say "Would it help if we crowd funded a new pair of Southern Pride plastic sides".....but I was disappointed.,

By the way, don't web search Southern Pride without adding model coach kits!

Ar$e

For a moment I thought that was going to say "Would it help if we crowd funded a new pair of Southern Pride plastic sides".....but I was disappointed.,

Ar$e

Dammit Ducky, your warning came too late.  I can hear Plod knocking as we speak....

• RMweb Premium

Ar$e

Only comes up with B&Q barbeque pits on me tab! Well someone had to admit to it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To help me recover from this morning's graft I have just fettled two Gresley HD Bogies (4mm ones :beee: ). That is, two Hornby Gresley ordinary bogies, suitably filed down at the sides and with MJT Gresley HD sides suitably shimmed to a suitable thinness and glued on. I then adjusted the ride height with a couple of bits of plasticard either side of each bogie fitting hole on the Hornby donor coach, under floor bogie washer shape thingy. Tested the coach (Gresley RFK I think it is) on SOSJ west end junction and down Incline main and it didn't fall off. Hoorah. Lots to do on this coach in the coming weeks. 

Then I dug out the  Kirk Maunsell Dining First I was messing with before Christmas and adjusted the width, between the dining area sides that were bowing inwards, with some wooden coffee stirrer 'spacers' carefully ( :sarcastichand: ) measured and smoothed. Checked the roof for a good fit; sitting nicely now but not attached yet. Then I found some Baccy Bulleid Bogies, modified their fitting holes with a couple of bits of the Kirk Bogie stretchers, adjusted the position of the fitting hole so the bogies will be a mm or so nearer the coach ends and then gave up because I can't find the screws Kirk supply to attach bogies (probably a good thing?)

Ar$e.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Things learned.

Don't mark the inside of the SP hard plastic sides with permanent marker (unless it's a full brake kit!).  :nono:

Must glue stick on sides much more carefully.

attachicon.gifImg_0348.jpg

(I don't think I can live with that nasty glue splodge, even from the 3' and passing train angle :scared: )

The peg method works. (SP recommendation, not my idea).

The Comet side is about 2mm too long but the combo of it and the hard plastic side does fit the SP frame.

attachicon.gifImg_0347.jpg.

Things thought!

I think the Comet side is a bit too long to shorten to fit on the SP side, if you understand that odd statement. 

A Comet side, if shortened, would fit the SP ends and roof, but I think the SP floor frame moulding would then be weak and prone to bend without the hard plastic SP side fitted into it. Therefore I wonder if there is a way of 'reinforcing' the SP floor/frame moulding to make it more rigid?

Is all that too much of a faff and just build a Comet full kit?

Results?

I have removed the Comet side (easy and only left a tiny bit of marking on the SP hard plastic side), with no distortion of that side.

Conclusion.

I shall probably order replacement SP sides and several extra, hard plastic sides  (some for more experiments) as I've bu**ered up this one stick on side and hard plastic side from this kit and I want to see what one of these SP Kits looks like once completed. I've only ever done a printed hard side one before and that was OKish!

I do wish that SP still did their Bulleid Kits with  pre printed ready to fit, hard sides, as the range was excellent.

Ar$e

Very useful stuff that I hope will stop me making the same mistakes on my SP TPO when I get a round tuit.

Soon I'm going to hack a Baccy Bulleid and try fitting *Comet Bulleid BSK sides to that; I'm told the sides are a tad long for this conversion as well, but that's not really a problem. I shall take off a mill or so at the Guard's end (of each Comet) side if necessary.   This should be no more difficult than the conversions I have do with other coaches.

This could be because the Baccy Bulleids are a tad short.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

This could be because the Baccy Bulleids are a tad short.

Chris

Yes, I remember Geoff telling me that Chris and I'm sure I've read it on threads a few times (not necessarily on here). That's my excuse for never bothering before. However I so need D2406 'loose' BCKs and they are not going to come from anywhere other than a kit, scratch build or conversion anytime soon. (There, now we know what one of the big boys will announce tomorrow...................).

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I had a bit of a SWMBO annoying afternoon and evening yesterday, by getting on with this.

Kirk Maunsell with modifications. It is supposed to represent a D2651 Restaurant First. Baccy (old style) bogies for the time being. The roof is not yet attached and then pipework will need fabricating (arggghhh)

post-2326-0-67345600-1463042901_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-84466000-1463042906_thumb.jpg

It isn't painted of course.

I'd still rather have used Bill Bedford Sides for finer window and door detail, but getting Kirk Maunsells, to use as a foundation for conversion, is really hard  and/or stupidly expensive. I have yet to pluck up the courage to hack a Hornby Maunsell for conversion, but I do have sides for a D2666 Buffet car (rebuild) lurking somewhere and I do have one slightly damaged Hornby Maunsell. :scared:

However that is the only way to get Maunsell dining coaches and other Diagrams, except for building and scratch building some quite complicated kits. (I have some Roxey Maunsells and they are beautiful kits but a bit beyond my ability; I've started one so I know). One day maybe?

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I had a bit of a SWMBO annoying afternoon and evening yesterday, by getting on with this.

Kirk Maunsell with modifications. It is supposed to represent a D2651 Restaurant First. Baccy (old style) bogies for the time being. The roof is not yet attached and then pipework will need fabricating (arggghhh)

attachicon.gifImg_0349.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_0350.jpg

It isn't painted of course.

I'd still rather have used Bill Bedford Sides for finer window and door detail, but getting Kirk Maunsells, to use as a foundation for conversion, is really hard  and/or stupidly expensive. I have yet to pluck up the courage to hack a Hornby Maunsell for conversion, but I do have sides for a D2666 Buffet car (rebuild) lurking somewhere and I do have one slightly damaged Hornby Maunsell. :scared:

However that is the only way to get Maunsell dining coaches and other Diagrams, except for building and scratch building some quite complicated kits. (I have some Roxey Maunsells and they are beautiful kits but a bit beyond my ability; I've started one so I know). One day maybe?

Hi Phil

It is at this point we all should be shouting at our computer screens, "NO, IT IS NOT, WITH PRACTICE ANYONE CAN DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!", well no I am not. I can recall that wise man Hommer Simpson saying to young Bart, " If it is too hard son, just give up." Very sensible words.

• RMweb Premium

Kirk Maunsell with modifications.

Quackers, I could never get the roofs to fit properly on Kirk Maunsells, no matter how much I attacked them.

Might have been because the tooling was old (Colin Ashby had the range by then).  I did battle with them and the Branchlines Pull Push conversions only for Horny to bring them out...phew.

I also remember badgering Cooper Carp to have another go at trying to get the tooling for the range off Colin but thankfully it never happened, as at least there is a possibility that we might see some (and Bulleids) one day.

Re PM: I am fully awake now (sort of)

Up the ***, and thanks for trying to start a sensible debate it (you naughty boy).

Cheers

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"With practice,  anyone can do anything.."

I'm not sure I can ever achieve levitation, swimming underwater for a hour holding my breath, or running a sub-8 sec 100m sprint...

SWMBO says she'd like me to try the swimming idea...

• RMweb Premium

It is at this point we all should be shouting at our computer screens, "NO, IT IS NOT, WITH PRACTICE ANYONE CAN DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!", well no I am not. I can recall that wise man Hommer Simpson saying to young Bart, " If it is too hard son, just give up." Very sensible words.

Damn right there Clive,

I have completely murdered several of Dave's beautiful kits, but foolishly believing in the ACDI philosophy and practice makes perfect, I replaced them (plus a full LSWR coach set thingy and the Branchlines Lyme Regis Sets) and now have a stack of kits that I will never be able to build (or will I ?).

I thought there was something wrong with me, 'cos everyone can solder, can't they?  AR$E! 

Well there is something plenty wrong with me but it ain't nuffin' to do with electric glue and I'm happy about it  ;) 

Have a nice day everyone.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure I can ever achieve levitation, swimming underwater for a hour holding my breath, or running a sub-8 sec 100m sprint...

I am undecided whether to go and try the above, or roll around on the Gym floor for half an hour, pretending to stretch my groin and other flabby bits. Until recently I would have had no bother choosing as I would be avoiding modelling, but now I actually really need to go and lose some flab and get my core stability sorted (so I'm told).

That's almost tempting an 'Invictus' posting but I am not grumbling.........honestly.

Lunch first maybe?

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A good curry normally helps with the first one, or is being jet propelled cheating? :scratchhead: :stinker: 

It also gives those close by and wishing to attempt number two a chance to hold their breath for a long time and stay dry.

And following trough the activities, number three has to be achieved if you are to make it to the loo in time.

Who's up for a curry night? :declare:

How you doing with the coaches Mr Drake?

• RMweb Premium

How you doing with the coaches Mr Drake?

I have to get some advice and then parts from SP to complete the project. The printed sides are no longer available.

I'm not sure if I will complete the original SP kit as the side I have already stuck on looks carp.

I might well just use a pair of Comet sides on SP parts if that is possible; that's the advice I'm seeking.

So the answer is, nothing at the moment, but thanks for asking.

P