SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Breaking news - first train runs down Honiton bank!

Full story to follow later...

Weird looking Bulleid and those coaches really are a pile of carp (except the third from last). However, look at that curve. Bl**dy wonderful....many thanks G and I do hope you will share a little of the very clever 'Grantham method' of creating such curves. I believe there could be some pictures of the Hungry Caterpillar as well ............. so wake up Stubbs.

Now we are getting somewhere and I have to get my digit out and get on with some serious wiring.

There is a plan. The CCE (Graham) is fettling the Incline Xover points and I'm setting the other Incline track (the easy bit) as far as the 'refuge siding' point.

I need to sort the Incline and Fiddle side + ends in a month, including fixing the end return curves to provide the 'bench marks' for the Station  through/fast lines. All this needs to be DCC ready as well. Next CCE visit should then conclude the laying of the Incline and the measuring up for the Station mains. 

I was totally convinced today about spraying the track before laying it and also giving the foam ballast a light 'weathering of grey' as well. Both can be worked on once finally in position.

I think I might use cork and proper ballast for the Station, Branch and Yards; some thought needed about that. The Station, Branch and Yard areas ballast looks different to the Incline ballast engineering so I think it needs a different approach.

So today was productive in many ways.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Wow! Only 128 pages of thread and a train moves. Well done O mighty duck!

Some things have moved before, however it was the CCE's idea to have a 'train' show just how lovely that curve is so it is him that needs the praise (mind you, I did build that loco :pardon: )

Thanks anyway Herbert.

P

• Like 2

A few more pics of the days activities.

post-16151-0-91135000-1458332427_thumb.jpg

A little difficult to fully explain what's going on (see page 2 of the Grantham thread for a full explanation) but here, our feathered friend is weighing up the now adjusted alignment pins. If you look to the left of the pile of track, you can see them, marking out a graceful arc.

post-16151-0-08795000-1458332438_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of what's going on. Pins are knocked in every 6 inches along the centre of the intended alignment (I did that at the last visit). First time round, they'll only roughly trace out the alignment. The offset of one from the two either side is then measured and recorded (I did that last visit as well). Then, with a semi-clever bit of computer jiggery-pokery (that was where I got stuck last time!), the amount each needs to be moved in order to get a nice smooth alignment is calculated. So this picture shows the process of moving each pin. The blue pencil points to the 'ole where pin No.22 was originally knocked in and the yellow/black pencil shows where it has ended up. If you look to the left, you can see neighbouring pin No.21 and where that has moved to.

post-16151-0-40756500-1458332485_thumb.jpg

Once the pins have been adjusted then it's easy-peasy! The track it laid up against each pin using a simple setting gauge and Voila! A nice smooth curve. Here, the mighty duck has just given his free-running Walrus wagon a shove and is watching it gracefully tracing out the curve.

post-16151-0-84327400-1458332513_thumb.jpg

As a prelude to the video, a motley set of eight coaches was placed on the track which helps to accentuate the alignment. Two locos which 'just happened to be handy' were placed at its head. At least they're from the correct region! Not forgetting the tunnel mouth of course...

Cue the video!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Breaking news - first train runs down Honiton bank!

Full story to follow later...

Fantastic stuff Mr Duck. There's no stopping you now.

Did I count seven tracks in the fiddle yard or was that an optical delusion?

A few more pics of the days activities.

attachicon.gifWP_20160318_15_01_02_Pro.jpg

A little difficult to fully explain what's going on (see page 2 of the Grantham thread for a full explanation) but here, our feathered friend is weighing up the now adjusted alignment pins. If you look to the left of the pile of track, you can see them, marking out a graceful arc.

attachicon.gifWP_20160318_15_01_21_Pro.jpg

Here is a close up of what's going on. Pins are knocked in every 6 inches along the centre of the intended alignment (I did that at the last visit). First time round, they'll only roughly trace out the alignment. The offset of one from the two either side is then measured and recorded (I did that last visit as well). Then, with a semi-clever bit of computer jiggery-pokery (that was where I got stuck last time!), the amount each needs to be moved in order to get a nice smooth alignment is calculated. So this picture shows the process of moving each pin. The blue pencil points to the 'ole where pin No.22 was originally knocked in and the yellow/black pencil shows where it has ended up. If you look to the left, you can see neighbouring pin No.21 and where that has moved to.

attachicon.gifWP_20160318_15_59_02_Pro.jpg

Once the pins have been adjusted then it's easy-peasy! The track it laid up against each pin using a simple setting gauge and Voila! A nice smooth curve. Here, the mighty duck has just given his free-running Walrus wagon a shove and is watching it gracefully tracing out the curve.

attachicon.gifWP_20160318_16_03_13_Pro.jpg

As a prelude to the video, a motley set of eight coaches was placed on the track which helps to accentuate the alignment. Two locos which 'just happened to be handy' were placed at its head. At least they're from the correct region! Not forgetting the tunnel mouth of course...

Cue the video!

You won't want to put that computer there when the DCC's connected up...

OMG Phil - it's finally happened - you've turned it into a real railway from a virtual one 

Are you singing along to FreddieMercury by any chance?

"Don't stop me now I`'m having such a good time...."

Excellent to see - must try using my own video setting on the Canon...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic stuff Mr Duck. There's no stopping you now.

Did I count seven tracks in the fiddle yard or was that an optical delusion?

You won't want to put that computer there when the DCC's connected up...

I'm really taking little responsibility for this latest step forward as it is down to Graham of Grantham (Sheriff of Nottingham's henchman I'm told after last weekend) but thanks St E.

Fiddle has 6 fixed loops; the '7th' bit of track is a possible off stage spur off the 'down'.

That laptop is only a ruse to make everyone think we are modern.

Duck.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Will the layout feature green Southern region diesel motive power at any time, Phil?

Yo mon Captain

I fink we have been down this route before.

It will look good as a green diesel layout, Class 120, 118, 122 DMUs on the locals, Warships on the Waterloo expresses and baby Warships on the freights. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: Southern diesels.......did they use any at Seaton? :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Will the layout feature green Southern region diesel motive power at any time, Phil?

Maybe if I can get hold of one (or two) of the 'originals'. 10201/2/3 . As for 'incomer' diseasels then Warship, Hymek, D63XX and those filthy bog carts will appear (sadly).

Little known is that DP1 actually ran through SJ once on a very dark night in 1959.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This topic is so long I thought we might have got there got there! :scratchhead:

Brian.

It was a consideration about 3000  posts ago, as was Axminster and Chard Junction. Actually, I am still not sure.............................................. :scared:

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Today I have actually managed to wire a DPDT switch and make a Cobalt motor work. These are 12V DC and that is the same as the Fulgurex I have yet to play with.

I also wired the Cobalt ready for fitting; what a very nice point motor with no soldering at the motor end as well.  Underboard fitting yes but all the wires will be in place so no underboard soldering.

Simple I hear you cry, but for me it's a bl**dy miracle. However I have yet to fit it to a point :scratchhead:but strangely I actually now understand how to do that. 

I also wired up a Peco PL10E and switch and I shall, along with some PL11s, test it/them this coming week; another miracle for the trickery dunce. 

I'll post some more pics this week.

Phil

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Bit more fun with wires today. I got my Flash Gordon Unit to operate a Peco P11, so that works but one P11 is dead so far; 7 to go. The FGU has 6 switches and I shall use it for 6 or 7 points (I might try to get one switch to do  the two motors for a crossing). That is 16V and the points will have Microswitches if they are modified.

I also fished out my box of used Fulgurex + one new Fulgurex that has all its bits. I would only use these as surface mounted machines with a Duck adaptation for operating the point and there are 15 working and 4 that appear to be duff. That's probably too many but we shall see. These are 12V as are the Cobalts. I suspect I shall need a CDU for the 16V Pecos, both the P11s mentioned and the new PL10s.

I also received my 14 mini mircoswitches from Maplins.

So many machines, so much wire, so many switches; hey ho, so much for Fingerpoken operation.

I also had a fleeting visit to Albion Yard to get my 'special' replacement Adams Radial front bogie and then test the loco; thanks PMP. Runs even more of a treat now.

Finally I found some paints online that I need for track painting and it was less expensive to get them mail order from B & H Models in Lincoln than travelling anywhere locally that might have them but didn't have info on their sites.

I must get my BUS runs sorted ASAP as well.

Such fun,

Duck.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Now, where did I put that 'To Do' list? I need to alter the priority loading.

It is probably a good idea to solder droppers to track and points and point wire stuff before painting them.

I really have not got a proper, organised and sequenced plan of work; never have really, but now I must.

Duck

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

OK now I'm worried about the Mighty Duck - he just posted a link to a  movie about a steam train being overtaken by 8 Ladas and a bus.

Is this a precursor to SOS Junction moving to Wroclaw and chasing to HO scale?

Has he been secretly listing over Fleischman and Roco products?

Should we be told?

• RMweb Premium

OK now I'm worried about the Mighty Duck - he just posted a link to a  movie about a steam train being overtaken by 8 Ladas and a bus.

Is this a precursor to SOS Junction moving to Wroclaw and chasing to HO scale?

Has he been secretly listing over Fleischman and Roco products?

Should we be told?

I am sorry to admit that is close to the truth. I follow some Polish railway photographers on Fartbrook and someone posted that clip (from 1990) and it was amazing with the train running right next to the road and not narrow gauge either. However the FB link compromised my FB Acct and so I had to delete it. I've been struggling for about  2 hours trying to work out how to do another link.

Duck Voytek