SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Ta P. This isn't quite as I was shown on the diagrams but the centre isolaters should act as the 'barrier' plates between facing points: I hope so! I've just extended the point frogs down to the middle of each track. If I'm wrong I'll redo it as it won't involve serious ripping! It does rely on the point positions so maybe it would be better to stick isols on the points as well as you suggest? I could then power feed each 'half' of each track. I think that still gives me 2 sections per track?

Phil

My Dear Quackers

Every thing should work fine, as long as both rails attached too a "V" are isolated at some point " no pun intended. The outer extremes may not require insulating.

Yours

SS

Must be from Thetford.

Met a bloke from Thetford who said "please let me introduce you to my wife and sister" He was pointing at just one woman!!!!

Don't knock it - my mother came form a village in donegal - population 500, surnames 2

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Phil, can I ask why the point marked 1 is not directly attached to the point marked 2, to maximise siding length?

attachicon.gifpost-2326-0-13128300-1456924161_thumb copy.jpg

I really don't know; absolutely no reason at all other than the nearest point (left of 2) has replaced a 3 way one that would only fit in just to the left of 1! It wasn't going to work and that's why the latest yard on the left has one very long track and two shorter ones. Where the straight Tracksetta is is where the double track Incline tracks curve to avoid the hatch hole as I CBA to build a proper drop down flap with all the intricate interfacing track and electrics.

Thanks though and I might have another look at that, after all I've just gone and replaced all the point heels with insulated joiners just in case of shorts. That only took an hour so moving that one back a length would be quick.

This has reminded me that a nice Y point I was going to use in this area has disappeared! Doh!

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I once nearly bought a Riley with a walnut Dashboard (around 1968 I think it was). Still thinking about it; probably sold by now.

OK, question for CK here. Why is it that when one has just decided how the tracks will be placed and one then retires to sleep, one's brain decides that the track is wrong and one should have done it "like this" (dream like illustration drifts through sleeping head). Could it be Larryitis and if so, how do I medicate to avoid this?

Sincerely,

HRH David. 

When I were a lad, I nearly bought a secondhand Riley Elf but the asking price was 60 quid and my budget only ran to 50. That was about 40 years ago...

• RMweb Gold

When I were a lad, I nearly bought a secondhand Riley Elf but the asking price was 60 quid and my budget only ran to 50. That was about 40 years ago...

Don't tell me, you were 30 at the time and had looked at 20 other examples before shelling out 10 bob for plaice and chips?

• RMweb Premium

Phil, can I ask why the point marked 1 is not directly attached to the point marked 2, to maximise siding length?

attachicon.gifpost-2326-0-13128300-1456924161_thumb copy.jpg

I checked today and it is a bit of an illusion. The 'gap' between 1 and 2 is only just a short (57') coach length so I won't bother (yet)!  Actually the whole bl**dy layout is an illusion at the moment. Pah!

There is some good news though. Yes, I actually worked out how to put sections in 5 of the  Fiddle tracks and have had my workings marked and got 8/10 from my 'Tutor' (long distance learning course). This splits each of the 5 into two sections, but properly this time with switched power feeds.

Why 5 you might not bother asking, well the track I shall call No1 (far right in the pic) is the monster track for the ACEs (11 - 13 coaches) and maybe the long goods (not sure about that one yet; it might be assembled from cassettes). I could section it later if it seems necessary.

I also discovered that I have three Eyupfrog long Xovers (1 new and two pre-used) and one new Insultedfrog long Xover! I only need two and they should be Eyupfrog. Strange!

Fortunately the pre-used ones have not been altered beyond retro fettling (the wires are still as factory fitted as they say) so I shall offer the Insulted Frog one to a new home and wire the other three ready for use; two actually in the layout and a spare for when one of the others blows up due to my wiring.

Duckydrillbit.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Quick, glue the track down using the Pink Stuff - which is the trade version of no more nails - but better!

Baz

Oh thank you oh mighty Baz. Best laugh I've had all day (been feeling sh!te yet again). However I need to not do that in case things need changing at a later date; yes, honestly as operationally I may need to change them. One really good thing is that it does not need ballasting :no:

Nice to hear from you though.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

With all due respect, the back scene should be attended to pretty quick before too much develops on the baseboards. Perhaps the change will do you good!

Brian.

On this bit the scenic break will be between the Incline and the fiddle (with removable pods so access to the FY is relatively easy). I might just cover the horrible wooden planks to the right with something and then paint that sky blue. No rush at the moment though but thanks for the thought Brian. 

It will be different on the other side though as I will need to consider the 'backscene' much more carefully but once again there will be quite a lot of scenic break in front of that (e.g. the whole Station down & Branch platform area).

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't tell me, you were 30 at the time and had looked at 20 other examples before shelling out 10 bob for plaice and chips?

And still 'ad change for t' tram 'ome...

Ended up with a Ford Pop for 40 notes. That left enough to buy a radio for it as well. AM and FM with 5 presets, but no 8-track cartridge player unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium

Ended up with a Ford Pop for 40 notes. That left enough to buy a radio for it as well. AM and FM with 5 presets, but no 8-track cartridge player unfortunately.

Did the Pop have vacuum windscreen wipers that slowed down when you most needed them (e.g. climbing hills like Haldon in snow)?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Did the Pop have vacuum windscreen wipers that slowed down when you most needed them (e.g. climbing hills like Haldon in snow)?

Phil

And a wrong gear for every occasion. My mate had the gear lever - looooong, they were - come off in his hand. In second, natch.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I bought mine for 20 quid, and sold it for 25 - with a shot engine, but the body was good and I'd added indicator lights and resprayed it using the spray gun on our vacuum cleaner;  the bloke who bought it had one with a good engine but very advanced body rot so he did a transplant.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Phil

Oh yes. On the other hand, the wipers went like the clappers when you were stopped at traffic lights.

And a wrong gear for every occasion. My mate had the gear lever - looooong, they were - come off in his hand. In second, natch.

The three-speed gearbox had reverse where first should have been. That caught me out more than once. No synchromesh either, so you had to learn quickly how to double-declutch.

As well as all that, you couldn't put anything in the boot because of the big hole that was there and it would do about 30 miles per gallon of petrol (2 star of course), 50 miles to a pint of engine oil and 50 miles to a pint of back axle oil. If you remembered all three you were laughing, but forget any one of them and it would stop dead.

There's a story about the old Ice Factory roundabout in Derby on a foggy morning too, but I'll save that for another time.

Happy days.

• RMweb Premium

I bought mine for 20 quid, and sold it for 25 - with a shot engine, but the body was good and I'd added indicator lights and resprayed it using the spray gun on our vacuum cleaner;  the bloke who bought it had one with a good engine but very advanced body rot so he did a transplant.

Mine went to the greatest scrapyard in the East Midlands - Albert Looms in Megaloughton Lane, Spondon.

• RMweb Premium

Phil

Mine did. It once attained 54mph. Mind you that was down a long and quite steep hill, with half a gale pushing from behind. Carried away by the exhilaration of it all, I forgot that at the bottom of the hill was a quite severe double bend, and that the brakes on the Pop were a bit ropey. Well, a lot ropey actually. Somehow, it stayed upright, and remained on the road, but died of old age not long after.

• RMweb Premium

Now look here young duck, don't get all despondent. There is progress, and good progress too. All those months and years of frustration at not being able to do anything at all are a thing of the past! Onwards dear chap, but not upwards, as I'm not convinced you can fly.