Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Getting rid of surplus models

I did not see any models for sale just a general discussion

The suggestion was made in that post that a topic/thread should be used.

Advertising items for sale inside a topic has always been frowned upon (even IIRC somewhere in the rules).

As I was trying to help avoid such a posting/reporting/and intervention by a mod by pointing the OP in the direction of the classifieds area on this site I would have thought you would have held back you usual attack mode. But well no surprises there.

The RMWeb classifieds does take a small fee for the service - to which some may object to on a matter of principle but most do think it is a good service offered by this site.

This is a psychological thing, probably like comfort blankets, and the nesting instinct, which makes it difficult for us to let go many things we've acquired. 

It's not blankets with me, it's cars! Have one under a tarpaulin that I've had since it was 18 months old, longer than I've been married (39 years this year)

Another that was my late fathers, then passed it to my son. In the garage awaiting restoration it's now almost unique according to 'how many left'!

Then there's my last one also in the garage, difficulty parting with that, it's only really scrapyard fodder............but............I bought it 4 years ago tomorrow, the day I had a heart attack. Drove it home needing an MOT, paid £120 for it, it's lasted nearly 4 years but needs some work now for another MOT.

The present car also lives in the garage, it needs to, can't be doing scraping ice off this time of year when I'm going to work at 4 in the morning, not got attached to this one yet..................................................... :jester:

As for models, three different layouts and eras in OO, along with one or two 'just fancies' Dipping a (very small) toe end in O gauge, but I tell myself that I can pass it all on to my son who's not interested in railways, as an inheritance.

Advertising items for sale inside a topic has always been frowned upon (even IIRC somewhere in the rules).

As I was trying to help avoid such a posting/reporting/and intervention by a mod by pointing the OP in the direction of the classifieds area on this site I would have thought you would have held back you usual attack mode. But well no surprises there.

The RMWeb classifieds does take a small fee for the service - to which some may object to on a matter of principle but most do think it is a good service offered by this site.

As far as I am aware, RMweb Classifieds does not charge a small fee for the service Kenton.

• RMweb Gold

I did list all my models about five years ago and have kept it up to date since. Believe me it doesn't help in deciding what to get rid of, if anything grouping it means you go, " all I need is the time to build the layout"!!! ;)

With my layouts I exhibit I took a hard look at what I actually run and got rid of the surplus stock for one and I'm starting to do the same for the other. It has its advantage that at present I don't feel I can spend the wage on new stuff as I'm supporting the other half trying to start a business so there's no surplus. 'Recycling' models though is justifiable and does have the advantage of not being desperate so can stick to what I believe they're worth or hold onto them.

I've had a hard look at the G scale and cancelled a long desired model as I just don't run the stock and selling that will create enough to build up the 009 collection of the same prototype at a fraction of the cost so leaving money free for other subjects. I'll probably covet the 16mm one but with the probable room I have being restricted for the next few years a smaller scale makes sense on space, storage and my interest in a bigger system that has developed. Realising that makes it easier as you realise the models are likely to remain boxed for some time to come.

If you can't sell them for a price you think is reasonable to further other projects then you probably will regret it, I've been pm'd and messaged on forums before that I'm charging too much but have always sold them for the price I wanted as they are worth it and there's enough people who appreciate it that you'll find them if not in a hurry to sell. On eBay I always politely decline offers on items that don't sell and relist and have done very nicely as a result and had very happy buyers.

I sold all my G scale US stuff to finance my Harz layout and it not only gives me a lot of fun but I still see those on the forums enjoying what I sold so you can win both ways ;)

The suggestion was made in that post that a topic/thread should be used.Advertising items for sale inside a topic has always been frowned upon (even IIRC somewhere in the rules).As I was trying to help avoid such a posting/reporting/and intervention by a mod by pointing the OP in the direction of the classifieds area on this site I would have thought you would have held back you usual attack mode. But well no surprises there.The RMWeb classifieds does take a small fee for the service - to which some may object to on a matter of principle but most do think it is a good service offered by this site.

RMweb Classifieds have been free to members for just under two years now but I would still remove a post/topic offering items for sale from the forum area to avoid a free for all and fragmentation unless there's prior consent for a specific reason.

My apologies Andy, it was merely an idol thought, for which I stated that I hoped that I wasn't going to upset the moderators.

The mistake I clearly made was not to ask Kenton's permission first!! :no:

Cromptonnut,

You are not alone. I also have the thinning out inertia.

It's got to be done sometime but I just can't explain why I don't.

Perhaps I'm  too sentimental.

Andy

RMweb Classifieds have been free to members for just under two years now but I would still remove a post/topic offering items for sale from the forum area to avoid a free for all and fragmentation unless there's prior consent for a specific reason.

Andy, Is it permitted to have "My OO stock for sale >>> link to classifieds" as a signature?

Going back to the OP's options for disposing of excess stock, a good club show ought to have a secondhand stall, and will probably charge 5-10% commission. You will have to have a fair idea of what to charge for your items (including a lower reserve), but it's usually the quickest way. You'd also be surprised as to what sells, the last time I did it at Nottingham a lot of what I would call "low interest" items went, but cheap mint boxed locos remained. Part of the psychology behind it seems to be to convince someone that another modellers unfinished projects have credibility or might be useful one day.

If you've got alot of stock, another option might be to hire a table outright as a trader, or offer to run a bring and buy stall at a show.

In the back of the mags are a number of listings where you can sell complete collections.  Buyers will often collect so you dont have to lift a finger.  If you want hassle free and arent bothered about getting maximum money back this is probably your easiest option. One phone call - job done.  I find that once that doubt sets in about whether to keep unwanted models the pattern tends to follow yours in as far as you um and arh over it for 6 months and then still sell them in the end.  

Youll probably feel much better starting afresh with all that stock out of the way and some money to spend. 

I don't know how it happens but it can be difficult to part with the lumps of plastic and metal that we collect.

When I sold my childhood Hornby locos and stock I did feel a slight twinge of regret - more because of what those things represented (childhood) than because they were particularly special models.  But it went to fund my new, N gauge project.

Even there I've managed to be fairly ruthless; starting out with cheap, older items and upgrading and selling as better stuff became available.  The problem is that now I've got to the point where further thinning is getting difficult.  Do I need a LNER loco and two teak Gresley coaches when I model 1960s Western Region?  No, but they look so good in the display cabinet I'm reluctant to sell them on.

It is also easy to get into the mindset of "those'll come in handy one day" but you need to weigh up whether "one day" will ever come.  Try not to hang on to too much stuff.  And, yes, I'm writing to myself as much as anyone!

• RMweb Premium

I've just done a clear out myself this month and its a great feeling for the New Year!

My best tip is to make a pile of the bits you want to sell, and leave it a week - if you havent been tempted to look back then you know it's time to sell. The hardest part is changing behaviour going forwards to stop the bargain instinct, when you see some stock you don't need in the wrong livery at £10 or £20 discount, it's just not worth it!!

I am in love with the eBay mobile app, so you can track your items at a moments notice, follow each watcher and rejoice as each bid comes in, great fun! I was hungover on New Years Day and a very generous bid flashed up on my phone for one of my items, the feeling was better than waking up to a bacon sandwich!

...Hundreds - if not thousands - of pounds of virtually "dead money" in stock just sitting in boxes in the spare room under the O gauge layout under construction...

Are you enjoying the O gauge project more than the past purchases which will never find a use on it?

...Plastic RTR models are only the value someone will pay for them.

Very true, but fortuitous timing can be advantageous. Man has RTR to sell, currently RTR suppliers unable to consistently produce enough to satisfy demand...

Archived