Abandoned Wagons, coaches and rolling stock

18B

• RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2014 at 12:44, porkie said:

When I lived in wolverton in the late 80's, their was what looked like a nuclear flask wagon in a siding next too the main carpark.

At the Bletchley end of the Bedford to bletchley line. Theirs an old coach which looks burnt out and rotting away just past the old TMD .

Yes, I remember that wagon. I used to go to & from Wolverton college, using Wolverton station. It appeared sometime in 1987, & had gone by about 1989. I think it had a container on it, there were cables coming out of it, and it may have been some sort of temporary s&t or station lighting installation. At the time, Wolverton station was on its last legs, the wooden buildings being demolished in about 1988 iirc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/12/2020 at 15:58, Satan's Goldfish said:

Having a Google maps nosey around Willesden Junction last night, I noticed the stock outlined in yellow below near the mail distribution building. I'm not sure if the image was taken this year or not and can only see the tops but can anyone confirm what they are and if they're still there? Can't imagine it's items that have seen recent use if they are still there!

1722080173_Stock1.jpg.389298cdf9799a0e6797ffa3dd4907ca.jpg

890728441_Stock2.jpg.40256e7d836f262ea33da357448d245f.jpg

636530939_Stock3.jpg.e1d7469a8eeefe89c1f9018b679e9362.jpg

74067775_Stock4.jpg.8078320b56fc96c936b702adec5b8f23.jpg

The CCTs you mention are infact former vans VCAs possibly converted to LT match wagons with ward couplers at one end and the ? Wagon is a salmon with a hood

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Cheers Russ, 

If I remember I'll take some pictures next time I'm there

Some illegal immigrants were found living in the mail vans some time ago so its not somewhere you hang around especially on your own at night 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 25/01/2014 at 12:44, porkie said:

When I lived in wolverton in the late 80's, their was what looked like a nuclear flask wagon in a siding next too the main carpark.

If I remember rightly it was some sort of booster for the signals in fibre optic cables. I got the job of extending the siding to make room for it, I think I also shortened it again once the wagon was gone.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 23/10/2019 at 14:04, dibber25 said:

Pretty certain I photographed one of the ferry vans in Westwood yard back in the 1990s. I'll have to check..... (CJL)

Probably not there now though as all the yards are being cleared

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Between Witham and Colchester on the down side of the Great Eastern main line, saw the rusty upturned remains of what is probably a steel 16T mineral or coal wagon.

Probably the victim of a long forgotten derailment, does anyone know the story of the wagon?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Pandora said:

Hellifield on the Settle & Carlisle line,  the sidings held rakes of coaching stock. Still in situ? Are they for preservation or "forgotten" ?

They are PCV's that belong to West Coast Railways, stabled on the site of what was going to be their Satellite loco shed. I believe that they are used as a sourcecof spares.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Grizz said:

Crowborough. S&T cable wagon. In the old down side reception road. Be there since the end of BR as I recall. Not sure if still there photo taken from google maps. YYV???F0072E73-7E85-4914-9EC4-24834535AD81.jpeg.13ed72dc4b52f8f075cbde621bbab307.jpeg

Google puts the date of the photograph at the bottom.

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Google puts the date of the photograph at the bottom.

Aha! Well spotted PhilJ W. Well it says 2021. Oh and I got it wrong, it wasn’t the Down Sidings Reception Road, it was the Down Siding Goods Shed Headshunt, Country End. it even has the buffer stop and everything! It appears to be a YVV, 

92F5F651-21F0-4542-A9BE-3D567B69CD5A.png.4d1b9d9bb87efdaecda7c604aa38510f.png

• Like 4

The Faversham Quay branch was ripped up in the late 60's but numerous wagons were left behind, most of which remain on the boatyard that took over much of the sidings. I'm not sure they still count as abandoned as they've pretty much all been adopted as stores for the boats. 

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, ManofKent said:

The Faversham Quay branch was ripped up in the late 60's but numerous wagons were left behind, most of which remain on the boatyard that took over much of the sidings. I'm not sure they still count as abandoned as they've pretty much all been adopted as stores for the boats. 

I was told a story a few years ago, that similar happened at Silloth.  The branchline closed, and BR were so quick to rip-up the tracks that they ignored the fact the harbour sidings were still occupied with rolling stock...  The chap telling me the story said BR had to re-lay a stretch of track to get the wagons out.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, Pandora said:

Hellifield on the Settle & Carlisle line,  the sidings held rakes of coaching stock. Still in situ? Are they for preservation or "forgotten" ?

12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

They are PCV's that belong to West Coast Railways, stabled on the site of what was going to be their Satellite loco shed. I believe that they are used as a sourcecof spares.

Jamie

They were still there a few weeks ago when I went past.  A chap I knew some years back who was a loco driver said that West Coast mainly wanted them as a source of bogies/wheelsets, but they've been there so long now I'd guess they'd have to be stripped for parts on-site.  I doubt they'd be railworthy enough to trip to Carnforth.  I do wonder how much of it is that West Coast have them there to just mark their territory, should they ever want to proceed with the development of the shed.

On a related (West Yorkshire) note, I caught the train from Shipley this morning, the decrepit Ruston 88ds in the scrapyards sidings are still there, though they must be so rusty by now that they'd either be bonded to the spot, or they'd crumble to dust if they were moved!  A shame, as someone else on here said, if I had a bottomless budget, I'd have them both out of there.  The owners of Crossley Evans must have a soft-spot for locomotives, given they've had no rail traffic for over a decade, and they are of course a scrapyard, they seem remarkably reluctant to chop the useless locomotives.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ben B said:

I was told a story a few years ago, that similar happened at Silloth.  The branchline closed, and BR were so quick to rip-up the tracks that they ignored the fact the harbour sidings were still occupied with rolling stock...  The chap telling me the story said BR had to re-lay a stretch of track to get the wagons out.

Reminds me of the story of the branch line where the crew on the demolition train started their work at the wrong end and nobody realised until it was time to knock off for the day and head home....

• Funny 5