Abandoned Wagons, coaches and rolling stock

18B

I thought bridge rail too, at first, but looking again, the ends look to be a bit thin in section. Could be just the camera angle though.

Yeah, sorry, it was just an old phone used and a dark and miserable day under tree cover. Plans are afoot to get there with a proper camera and take some at better angles.

T

• RMweb Premium

Note, it's staked at one end, it was put there on purpose and staked to the ground.

My guess is that it was put there to stabilise that part of the embankment - much as gabions are used nowadays.

In NZ they did things on a grander scale - whole locos were dumped on river banks to deter erosion. Some of these have even been recovered and restored, I believe !!

Regards,

John isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

there is a wooden bodied VVV van in Peterborough west yard, along with three ferry vans, one in each livery carried, dutch, bauxite and railfreight. a bream wagon and a oca wagon full of pea shingle. a southern region brake van at manea that's clocking up 30 years in the siding and the last time I wengt through diss on the train there some wagons stored in a disconnected yard there.

The VVV isn't what it seems,its air braked with conventional suspension and plain bearings. It appears to be one of the wagons that were either built or converted to air brake in the late 50s for evaluation

• RMweb Premium

There was four derailed tank wagons on the Nuneaton-Hinckley line near to where it crosses Watling Street that were there for quite a long time twenty or so years ago. I understand that they have now been removed but does anyone know for how long they were there? I passed the site several times and was surprised that no effort was being made to remove them.

• RMweb Premium

I'm going to moot that the rail is the channel type used on trams/light tramways and is inverted?

Having seen several sections of tram rail, it looks nothing like that - more a flat-bottomed profile with a groove for the flanges in its head.

On the other hand - Brunel bridge rail is exactly like the photograph, but heavier section. Bridge rail in lighter section was widely used for industrial and temporary railways - for bridges, etc.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The aforementioned hopper wagon.

No idea what it is nor how long its been there.

IMG_3751_zpsx3vdf5oz.jpg

Looks like a Dogfish, possibly in 'dutch' engineers livery. I must admit I didn't think they had anything as 'standard' as that in the wagon fleet on the Isle of Wight. Perhaps they 'upgraded' the fleet a  little in the mid eighties around the time they replaced the 05 with the two class 03's?

Edited by andy stroud

When the little shunter left there was nothing left to move the wagons, the steam railway got it and those wagons have been there for at least that long as there is apart from the motive power of the steam railway nothing that can move it.

They have been there at least since 1996 in that case...

I couldnt be sure though, ive not lived here that long myself.

Theres an old story of a locomotive buried in the bog beneath Dandry Mire Viaduct (Garsdale). It ran through the buffers and toppled down about the turn of the century. Allegedly the top of its chimney was visible until the 1930s when it was burried by ballast tipped in a relaying job - I've toyed they idea of having a wonder about with a spade and a metal detector!

Shettlestone on the Airdrie-Bathgate line is a veritable gold mine, there's at least 4 old wagons there, a tanker, a lowfit, a van and platewagon. They'll disappear again in the summer when the vegetation swallows them up again.

Edited by m0rris

Theres an old story of a locomotive buried in the bog beneath Dandry Mire Viaduct (Garsdale). It ran through the buffers and toppled down about the turn of the century. Allegedly the top of its chimney was visible until the 1930s when it was burried by ballast tipped in a relaying job - I've toyed they idea of having a wonder about with a spade and a metal detector!

Is that not from the Hawes Junction (Garsdale) smash of 1910. The Chimney was found a number of years ago with no loco under it and is now on display at Settle station.

Dave F.

Having seen several sections of tram rail, it looks nothing like that - more a flat-bottomed profile with a groove for the flanges in its head.

On the other hand - Brunel bridge rail is exactly like the photograph, but heavier section. Bridge rail in lighter section was widely used for industrial and temporary railways - for bridges, etc.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Yes, but having seem sections of the tramway on the moors above the house that are still in situ not knowing any better that stuff looks identical.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but having seem sections of the tramway on the moors above the house that are still in situ not knowing any better that stuff looks identical.

Then it almost certainly is.

However, is it laid with the groove uppermost to take the flanges, or with the groove below as per Brunel bridge rail?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Yes walk my Spaniel past them in Beckenham place park regularly. What is the story of these wagons?

CAT

The result of a derailment during a track renewal back in the early 90's ISTR and they just got moved to one side and left behind............... :nono:

Got a more precise location?

Thanks,

Shettlestone on the Airdrie-Bathgate line is a veritable gold mine, there's at least 4 old wagons there, a tanker, a lowfit, a van and platewagon. They'll disappear again in the summer when the vegetation swallows them up again.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks,

I remember passing them a couple of years ago.  IIRC they are slightly above the line on the North side as you pull out of the station.

Jamie

Is that not from the Hawes Junction (Garsdale) smash of 1910. The Chimney was found a number of years ago with no loco under it and is now on display at Settle station.

Dave F.

I'm not sure, the story I read puts it earlier than 1910 and definatly says it was just an engine running through buffers:

Its in this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ganger-Guard-Signalman-Memories-Carlisle/dp/0851533973

Thanks,

Hopefully this works: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Shettleston/@55.853389,-4.1510839,142m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4888419d47296dfb:0xfd81da2889d2901f

Appoaching from the Edinburgh before you get to Shettlestone station, all bar one of the wagons are viewable on the left hand side of the train then on the right there is the lowfit.

• 2 weeks later...

It would certainly be too small a section to be standard gauge rail I think. If it originated locally though and was reused, there were many of the local ironstone tramways began as 2ft lines or 3ft 1860's onwards, later to be relayed 3ft, meter and standard. Desborough 2ft survived to the 1960's The lines were so fleeting and temporary, 2nd 3rd and 4th hand anything is possible. The "rail" is very corroded underneath on it's lower surface and quite smooth on the upper surfaces ... but then so is my old Land Rover. We've only done a little research so far but it's absolutely fascinating, well, to me. Note, it's staked at one end, it was put there on purpose and staked to the ground.

T

It was put there to stabilise the bank - all the ground above it is not natural, but is overburden from quarrying to the east.  The wagon stands at Manton Corner on a quarry line that was taken out of use in the 1930s as quarrying moved east.  I'm going to go down with a trowel at some point and see if it's still standing on track.  I guess that it was staked there to stop the overburden moving down toward the Midland Main Line.  If there is track it would be interesting to see if there are any more wagons.  The wagon itself looks like a calcining tipper, and ore was being calcined at Glendon in 1917.  The quarries themselves pre-date this by some time, roughly the 1870s, so this wagon may date back to then.

I will head down with trowel, camera and tape measure in the near future (once I find some time) - hopefully before the summer vegetation returns.

Jim

• Like 1