Abandoned Wagons, coaches and rolling stock

18B

Noticed yesterday at Wigan NW  a few car carriers tucked at the back of the yard.

Sorry not been on this thread for a while, the car carriers at Springs Branch were sat for a long time at Edge Hill with at least one axle on wheelskates, think they are there for repair or other attention

There were several versions of these cable drum carriers but this looks to be one of those from the flat decked Conflat L - there were quite a lot of these in the North East. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/conflatl/e17ee6b3f

Paul Bartlett

It is indeed a conflat and still marked up as such despite the stuff attached on top - I had a wander around the yard last summer. Its in pretty good condition but there was also some bogie stuff round the back in very poor condition, although I don't know whether it might have been moved when the yard was tidied up a few months ago.

The conflat is still there though and can best be viewed from the approach ramp to Platform 1 of Chillingham Road Metro Station. 

• RMweb Premium

I have a vague recollection of a couple of 100 tonne bogie tank wagons, disappearing under brambles at Long Rock.

Is/was this the case? Are they still there?

Cheers,

Phil.

Hi, fascinating photo's. I've just got back from my cycle ride to Howden and coming back home via Holme-Moor, I can tell you that the former NER clerestory carriage body has gone. I'm not sure who has got it or whether it has just been scrapped.

All the best,

Market65.

It was there in 2007

These two were left at Cambois depot after it closed. At this time in 2005 the yard was not even connect to the network.

post-9992-0-32162500-1409617389.jpg

post-9992-0-93411200-1409617390.jpg

Not sure if abandoned is the right word for these. At Tees yard these wagons were toppled on their sides to recover wheels and bearings.

post-9992-0-03214300-1409617395_thumb.jpg

MW

• Like 3

These two were left at Cambois depot after it closed. At this time in 2005 the yard was not even connect to the network.

attachicon.gifDSCF0122.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0127.JPG

Not sure if abandoned is the right word for these. At Tees yard these wagons were toppled on their sides to recover wheels and bearings.

attachicon.gifP8302711.JPG

MW

Look's like the poor 08 been dumped as well?.

MW

' Thomas's birthday had been a very lively affair; Duck the Diesel was a bit hung over the next day, and the Troublesome Trucks were still wheel-less..'

Are those hoppers the ones that used to transport limestone from Redmire?

• RMweb Premium

MW

' Thomas's birthday had been a very lively affair; Duck the Diesel was a bit hung over the next day, and the Troublesome Trucks were still wheel-less..'

Its quite possible that the wheelsets have been removed for repair. Some of the materials carried by such wagons can be very abrasive and can play havoc with bearings etc.

MW

If someone modelled the last photo, you could just imagine the comments at exhibitions...... :"you would never see that", etc etc

The hoppers were HEAs and I presume had the wheelsets recovered as the rest of the vehicle was scrap.

The limestone hoppers were bogie vehicles from a "private owner" rather than BR speedlink vehicles.

• 4 months later...

Back on the late 80s there were rumours of a wagon buried in the cutting side at Glendon Junction on the Midland Main Line just north of Blue Bridge. In about 1990 I climbed along there and eventually found it. I was 15 at the time and with hindsight wish I'd taken photographs and notes. It's unlikely to date from the opening of the line, and I suspect it may be one of the Kettering Furnaces ore wagons, though how it came to be embedded in the bank at the side of the main line I have no idea. I guess it's been there since the 1960s, and may even pre-date that. I have a photo somewhere which I will scan and add if I can find it. I might try to locate the remains again if I dare - the intervening 25 years may have reduced my willingness to climb the fence!

Jim

• 2 months later...

Back on the late 80s there were rumours of a wagon buried in the cutting side at Glendon Junction on the Midland Main Line just north of Blue Bridge. In about 1990 I climbed along there and eventually found it. I was 15 at the time and with hindsight wish I'd taken photographs and notes. It's unlikely to date from the opening of the line, and I suspect it may be one of the Kettering Furnaces ore wagons, though how it came to be embedded in the bank at the side of the main line I have no idea. I guess it's been there since the 1960s, and may even pre-date that. I have a photo somewhere which I will scan and add if I can find it. I might try to locate the remains again if I dare - the intervening 25 years may have reduced my willingness to climb the fence!

Jim

Hi Mate

Good to see you this evening. I decided to post these as Oscar and I are often walking around that area. It's a climb but it's there. 

I'll leave it to you to post the latest theory's behind it. Does it need preserving?

post-17315-0-83546600-1426121282_thumb.jpg

post-17315-0-04275100-1426121281_thumb.jpg

post-17315-0-44622300-1426121284_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Theres a coal hopper and some kind of flat wagon just outside Ryde St Johns station on the island line, its been there all the years Ive lived here on the island and I dont believe the line has seen any kind of motive power capable of moving it since 1967...

The hopper is plastered in graffiti, it looks as if it was in BR Construction sector colours being light grey with a yellow band and yellow sides, but being where it is its hard to tell as its impossible to get to the other side of it.

• RMweb Premium

Chesterton Junction yard is being cleared in preperation for the Science Park station to be built, the old Hopper I mentioned earlier in the thread has been uncovered, and is presumably due to be cut up on the spot. Also uncovered is the skeletal remains of some sort of long wheelbase van. Sorry no photos, I didn't have my camera with me..

Andy G

beamish would love to have that one Black5f. also it looks like three lengths of 'bridge' rail has been used on it

Agree, Jim put me onto it but it could do with rescuing, don't think we can do it alone. Bridge rail is the first thing that occurred to me, re used. It appears to be a ship canal type wagon, possibly turn of the century, standard gauge, only touched by time

T.

beamish would love to have that one Black5f. also it looks like three lengths of 'bridge' rail has been used on it

I thought bridge rail too, at first, but looking again, the ends look to be a bit thin in section. Could be just the camera angle though.

• RMweb Premium

I thought bridge rail too, at first, but looking again, the ends look to be a bit thin in section. Could be just the camera angle though.

It is bridge rail - you can see the recess in the rail foot.

Lots of it down here in Cornwall, thanks to Mr. Brunel - the GWR was a waste not, want not railway and used the old broad gauge rail for everything from fence posts to embankment reinforcement.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It would certainly be too small a section to be standard gauge rail I think. If it originated locally though and was reused, there were many of the local ironstone tramways began as 2ft lines or 3ft 1860's onwards, later to be relayed 3ft, meter and standard. Desborough 2ft survived to the 1960's The lines were so fleeting and temporary, 2nd 3rd and 4th hand anything is possible. The "rail" is very corroded underneath on it's lower surface and quite smooth on the upper surfaces ... but then so is my old Land Rover. We've only done a little research so far but it's absolutely fascinating, well, to me. Note, it's staked at one end, it was put there on purpose and staked to the ground.

T