Hornby Railroad R3174 Silver Jubilee Train Pack

andyman7

• RMweb Premium

All this interest now that the Train Pack is being sold at more or less the price of a Railroad A4 on its own should ring alarm bells at Hornby. To me it is clear evidence that most people will no longer accept old models (in this case the coaches) dressed up as something they're not. Wouldn't it be nice if Hornby accepted this and tooled up something new.

All this interest now that the Train Pack is being sold at more or less the price of a Railroad A4 on its own should ring alarm bells at Hornby. To me it is clear evidence that most people will no longer accept old models (in this case the coaches) dressed up as something they're not. Wouldn't it be nice if Hornby accepted this and tooled up something new.

I'd say the evidence is far from clear.  Look at this recent eBay listing.  Hornby weren't able to sell this set because they don't really understand the present-day retail market, and because they got greedy and restricted it to concession sales only.  It was never going to be a quick seller (previous similar sets have always hung around) and Hornby weren't in a position to be patient because they needed to clear their warehouse.

If Hornby should take anything from this, it is that the traditional retail model trade has a continuing role to play, and that Hornby shouldn't begrudge them a reasonable profit.

• RMweb Premium

I'd say the evidence is far from clear.  Look at this recent eBay listing.  Hornby weren't able to sell this set because they don't really understand the present-day retail market, and because they got greedy and restricted it to concession sales only.  It was never going to be a quick seller (previous similar sets have always hung around) and Hornby weren't in a position to be patient because they needed to clear their warehouse.

If Hornby should take anything from this, it is that the traditional retail model trade has a continuing role to play, and that Hornby shouldn't begrudge them a reasonable profit.

I wouldn't disagree with your analysis, but the point I was in part trying to make was that if Hornby had released the A4 on its own it would probably have sold quite well at or near RRP, whether via concessions only or all retailers. Adding old and totally incorrect coaches, with a higher price tag to match, was the mistake.

Whatever the merits or otherwise of this set, the comments suggest that Hornby were forced to flog it cheaply. It strikes me as more of a commercial decision to clear space (no doubt accentuated by the warehouse  move) - the lightning speed at which they sold indicates that they would have shifted before too long at a higher price 

Whatever the merits or otherwise of this set, the comments suggest that Hornby were forced to flog it cheaply. It strikes me as more of a commercial decision to clear space (no doubt accentuated by the warehouse  move) - the lightning speed at which they sold indicates that they would have shifted before too long at a higher price 

Hornby have had these in stock via concession outlets for the past eight months.  They'd have struggled to sell them even if they'd offered them to the retail trade from the off.

Next up are the red and gold Coronation Scot coaches, another item from Hornby's past that does well on eBay, but won't set the concession outlets alight.  They don't seem to learn.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would someone pay £92 for LMS coaches painted silver?

Mal

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would someone pay £92 for LMS coaches painted silver?

Mal

It's not you missing something, it's Hornby who thought they'd backed a sure winner.

It was actually £97 with the postage.

This is good news for people buying the current discounted train pack though, if they're just wanting the A4.  Bide your time, then see your money back selling the coaches on eBay.

I've just spotted this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-A4-2509-Silver-Link-Limited-Edition-75th-Anniversary-Model-Boxed/321495528962?_trksid=p272.c100224.m3204&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140502130938%26meid%3D40ded65f31824f9cb805d2e381d9b1b8%26pid%3D100224%26prg%3D20140502130938%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D321495528962

We can expect one or two of these to show up, given that the last one three weeks ago finished at a whisker under £250.  A year ago you could pick them up for half that.

Be interesting to see what it finishes at. 

Brilliant work Simon.

I see a Hornby 2509 Silver Link just sold for £122 on Ebay today, (with a not very experienced seller).

I'm almost tempted to have a go at similar modelling to you carriage mods myself! The RR Gresley ends and three RR Gresley bogies I presume are part of it, and valances, and LNER lettering....    I had better restrain myself before I become enthusiastic!  :) 

Brilliant work Simon.

I see a Hornby 2509 Silver Link just sold for £122 on Ebay today, (with a not very experienced seller).

I'm almost tempted to have a go at similar modelling to you carriage mods myself! The RR Gresley ends and three RR Gresley bogies I presume are part of it, and valances, and LNER lettering....    I had better restrain myself before I become enthusiastic!  :)

Thanks Rob. The RR coach ends are certainly being used, however I am using the heavy duty bogies from the super detail model. They are on occasion available on eBay from time to time. I also hope to use Dart Castings LNER whitemetal coach buffers, and will add some form of NEM pockets for a close coupling mechanism between sets. I need to make two pairs and a triplet by my calculations which means I need at minimum seven and not six coaches, which is all I have at present. One first class (if Hornby ever made one - don't think they did) or third class would do.

I need to make two pairs and a triplet by my calculations which means I need at minimum seven and not six coaches, which is all I have at present. One first class (if Hornby ever made one - don't think they did) or third class would do.

Sounds like the perfect excuse for buying another set.  It's not as if you'd be stuck for things to do with the A4s.

Alternatively, you could easily get the standard LMS saloon (really cheap on eBay) and respray it.  Fox Transfers do a set for the Coronation, so you could upgrade the current Hornby silver coaches as well.

Best of all, of course, will be if someone who's bought this current set for the loco offers you a coach, knowing that it would be going to a good home.

With regards to the 2509 recently sold on ebay for £122, it is the same example that I put in the classifieds here over a month ago, with a reasonable minimum offer set by the owner. She still sold for far less than what she's worth, but is now hopefully in a more LNER centralized environment. In comparison, I picked up my own example for a smidgen over £100 3-4 years ago

Archived