Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

That shed is excellent. I clicked the "Craftsmanship/Clever" button but that scarcely seems adequate. Terrific stuff!

I might just say that knowing when to stop is an important skill :declare:  maybe just some signs of damp in the bottom of the brickwork?

Chaz

Chaz,

I will probably add the rising damp to  the brickwork when the shed has been bedded into the groundwork.

Chris

My Ixion Manning Wardle arrived home from the works of Paul Martin, propriertor of EDM Models/NG Trains in York. I asked him to fit a DCC sound decoder and stay-alive unit. The sound was compiled and programmed on a Zimo decoder in collaboration with Paul Chetter and is excellent. Performance is first class as a result of the stay-alive unit, a fully sprung chassis and graphite powder on the rails. It's nice to have her home and here are a few shots taken on Cwm Bach this evening. I intend to replace the nameplates with "Palmerston" from the Ixion Fowler diesel and may go for a full repaint, but that is a very low priority task.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-90917900-1438200688_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-21080100-1438200691_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-59086900-1438200693_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-07170000-1438200696_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Today I have been weathering the Cwm Bach Colliery loco shed. Simple tecchnques were used. Phase one was an all-over wash with very diluted Humbrol matt black. I left it to dry for a few hours and popped over to Chaz Harrison  to fiddle about with the DCC settings on one of my locos (we were a bit stumped as the loco would not start chuffing until Notch 4, but we think that is a SWD design feature). Then back home for a spot of mid-day nose-bag before collecting the father-in-law from the day-care centre. After that, back out to the work-shop to apply detail rusting with enamel paint around the rivets, bolts or whatever we eventually decided the fastenings to be. The stains on the brickwork are also enamel paint, this time dry-brushed. Finally, Mig weathering powders were used for the smoke staining and other rust effects. It'll do for the time being. I'm rather pleased with the effect of the warped sheet.

Hi Chris,

Wonderful inspiring work nuff said.

ATVB

CME

My Ixion Manning Wardle arrived home from the works of Paul Martin, propriertor of EDM Models/NG Trains in York. I asked him to fit a DCC sound decoder and stay-alive unit. The sound was compiled and programmed on a Zimo decoder in collaboration with Paul Chetter and is excellent. Performance is first class as a result of the stay-alive unit, a fully sprung chassis and graphite powder on the rails. It's nice to have her home and here are a few shots taken on Cwm Bach this evening. I intend to replace the nameplates with "Palmerston" from the Ixion Fowler diesel and may go for a full repaint, but that is a very low priority task.

Regards,

Chris

Now he's a very well presented little fellow, and I think the name 'Victory' favours him.

What is the idea of the graphite powder, how do you apply, where do you get it from?

Sorry if you've already mentioned it somewhere else.

Jinty ;)

Now he's a very well presented little fellow, and I think the name 'Victory' favours him.

What is the idea of the graphite powder, how do you apply, where do you get it from?

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

For track a graphite pencil can be used - rubbed along the railhead.

Hope that helps.

Kindest,

CME

Jinty ;)

Jinty,

I use a graphite stick similar to this. They are available from good artist supplies shops. You simply run it along the head of the rail. A groove will quickly be worn in, which helps to guide the stick.

Victory has been renamed Palmerston. She is one of a trio of Ixion locos that run regularly on Cwm Bach, the other two being Elijah, a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST and Kitchener, A Fowler 0-4-0DM. Although all three locos' namesakes are male, I still refer to them with the female pronoun. In fact, I like to think they are three little maids who are, perhaps, a little more wary having come from the coal mine rather than a seminary.

post-13142-0-52576600-1438265291.jpg

• Like 6

Jinty,

I use a graphite stick similar to this. They are available from good artist supplies shops. You simply run it along the head of the rail. A groove will quickly be worn in, which helps to guide the stick.

Victory has been renamed Palmerston. She is one of a trio of Ixion locos that run regularly on Cwm Bach, the other two being Elijah, a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST and Kitchener, A Fowler 0-4-0DM. Although all three locos' namesakes are male, I still refer to them with the female pronoun. In fact, I like to think they are three little maids who are, perhaps, a little more wary having come from the coal mine rather than a seminary.

You beat me to it Chris, I was just going to mention the very same - neat idea.

Down in deepest Kent, we still talk of the Great Graphite Storm...

Trouble with graphite, it's conductive, but it's dead slippery. If the baseboard wasn't entirely level, nothing, but nothing went uphill.

The consensus is "apply sparingly"

Best

Simon

I used graphite on THE LOOP and came to no harm with the gradients, and playing with the early stages of Denton Brook, graphite tends to give a more realistive haulage ability up the 1:10 incline. the Garratt will more or less take anything up there, but the little Ixion Fowler can only manage 2 wagons before she starts slipping......

I use a graphite crayon from Hobbycraft - it maybe a little harder and not depositing quite as much on the rails - but it makes the difference electrically!

Edited by Giles

• RMweb Premium

Going back to your dissertation, not boring at all. If you go through the minutes of the Taff Vale Railway (as one does of course!) you find many references to the problems caused by the sliding scale for the company. Perhaps that should have been the topic of your dissertation. In fact at an earlier stage in its life your branch could well have been at a standstill because of such a dispute.

Jonathan

Down in deepest Kent, we still talk of the Great Graphite Storm...

Trouble with graphite, it's conductive, but it's dead slippery. If the baseboard wasn't entirely level, nothing, but nothing went uphill.

The consensus is "apply sparingly"

Best

Simon

Since I treated the rails on Dock Green we have done three shows and although I haven't cleaned the track the only stalls have been on misbehaving point crossings. We have had no problems with adhesion, the industrial locos have never slipped on the 1:30 (approx') slope on the estate line. I tested this with eight wagons behind an 0-4-0ST and there was no hint of slipping.

"The consensus is apply sparingly" - Yes indeed, one pass along each rail will suffice - if you can see it you've put too much on. If you miss a bit it doesn't matter, the stock wheels will pick it up and fill any gaps. Loco wheels do end up looking very dirty as the graphite collects on them but don't clean it off - it does no harm and probably helps with conductivity.

Chaz

I think the gentleman in question, a scenic modeller of some repute, had better remain nameless, but shall we say, he applied graphite powder "rather liberally".

It was like the winter of 62-63, only grey.

Pick-up was immaculate, but entirely fruitless, as locos sat spinning their drivers, trying to plough through drifts of the stuff.

Vacuum cleaners were of no avail. (But did work remarkably well thereafter)

I think he resorted to mounting the layout on a see-saw...

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have just returned from almost three weeks holiday on the Cote D'Azur with my family, which is why I have been on radio silence and Cwm Bach has nearly slipped to page 3 of the RMWeb 7mn Scale forum list. I shall be returning to the industrial loco depot and cracking on with the coal stage this week. Meanwhile, here are some photos of the JLTRT GWR 52XX loco kit that is progressing through the works. I bought the super-detailing kits, not least for the beautifully milled coupling and connecting rods (the etched versions were sold on eBay).  The loco will be powered by a Canon motor and ABC gearbox. The chassis is a blend of three-point compensation and sprung suspension. I was able to achieve a smooth rolling chassis at the first attempt.  I bought it about five years ago and the rate of work has been glacial because of numerous interruptions, not least the construction of Cwm Bach itself.  Indeed, I was almost tempted to sell it as I couldn't envisage completing it, but decided instead to ask Heather Cavanagh if she could finish it for me. Heather built three GWR Collett coaches for me a couple of years ago, which I showed earlier on Cwm Bach, so I am confident she will do a great job on this big beastie.

post-13142-0-02979400-1439912454_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-67441700-1439912455_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-85711900-1439912457_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Had missed the last couple of updates- glad you are pleased with the MW, Paul M has mine at the moment for the same treatment. Should make an ideal stablemate for the Fowler on BT&S. I'd have thought with the keepalive though the graphite is completely unnecessary? Dave had used it on BT&S (on Giles' recommendation), when I got the layout the Fowler was very erratic (pre sound install) which improved dramatically after a track clean- so I suspect it probably attracts dirt a bit on little used layouts. Of course a quick wipe with a graphite stick would probably have cured it! I did buy some sticks after seeing The End of The Line at exhibition and being impressed with how well the 0-14 ran and will probably try them out next time the layout is set up, for the occasional visiting non- KA equipped loco.  

Evening chaps and chapesses. Can anyone recommend somebody to turn a tank loco in grey primer into a BR lined black beauty?

Chaz Harrison of Dock Green fame had his N7 professionally painted in BR lined black. I have handled it and it's a beauty so drop him a line. 

Nice work Chris. The big beastie will look great after Heather's treatment.

Rod

Rod, I know Heather will do a superb job and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished loco. She is delivering it in ex-works condition and I will then decide about weathering. I have a Lionheart 45XX in BR black in the same situation; it takes a lot of courage to weather an expensive piece.

Chris

Had missed the last couple of updates..... I'd have thought with the keepalive though the graphite is completely unnecessary? Dave had used it on BT&S (on Giles' recommendation), when I got the layout the Fowler was very erratic (pre sound install) which improved dramatically after a track clean- so I suspect it probably attracts dirt a bit on little used layouts. Of course a quick wipe with a graphite stick would probably have cured it! I did buy some sticks after seeing The End of The Line at exhibition and being impressed with how well the 0-14 ran and will probably try them out next time the layout is set up, for the occasional visiting non- KA equipped loco.  

I try to use every possible measure to keep the wheels turning and eliminate stalling so I advocate....

• switched "live" crossings in pointwork and...
  • loco compensation or springing and...
  • plenty of weight and....
  • pickups on as many wheels as possible, and...
  • keep alives and...
  • graphite
  • Like 1

Chaz Harrison of Dock Green fame had his N7 professionally painted in BR lined black. I have handled it and it's a beauty so drop him a line. 

My N7 was painted by John Dobson.

To contact him send him an email at....

jay.lol@talktalk.net

He requests you use "painting and lining" as the subject.

Chaz