Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Looks excellent chris just ordered some myself. Did you scratch build the rest of the board?

The running board was scratchbuilt. The posts are lengths of bullhead rail and the board and other details are plasticard. I used the attached photograph of the running board at Chard Central taken by Roy Denison in 1960 as a guide. It appears to have been repainted shortly before the phooto was taken. It's a great photograph with a veritable cornucopia of all things good i.e. GWR. I'm an avid buyer of colour photo albums and always have prototype photographs to hand to guide my construction and finishing, applying the principle "build and paint what you see, not what you know or think you know".  Having rediscovered this photo, I am considering adding the faded chocolate brown bands to the water tank that has featured elsewhere in this forum.

post-13142-0-41528800-1426841135_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

May I ask which album Roy's photo comes from, Chris?

I share your appreciation of colour photos, and have discovered some real gems of albums recently, e.g. Keith Pirt's work.  Certainly developments in print technology in recent years have dramatically improved the quality of publications.  Maybe even time to rework and reprint some older works?

Edited by Osgood

Excellent picture chris i have just bought one of those water towers, what brand are the nearest colours to gwr paint wise ?,

Thanks for your reply.

The colours on my model and in the photograph represent the chocolate and cream colour scheme of British Wales Western Region, which replaced the GWR light and dark stone colours. The paints I use to represent the BR(W) colours are Humbrol enamels Matt 173 Track Colour, which gives a fair representation of faded chocolate brown, and Matt 103 Cream mixed with white for a faded appearance.

May I ask which album Roy's photo comes from, Chris?

I share your appreciation of colour photos, and have discovered some real gems of albums recently, e.g. Keith Pirt's work.  Certainly developments in print technology in recent years have dramatically improved the quality of publications.  Maybe even time to rework and reprint some older works?

The photo appears in "Great Western Branchlines 1 - The South West" by Michael S Welch, published by Runpast Publishing 2002, ISBN 1 870754 54 9. I also have "Great Western Branchlines 2 - Rural Wales"  by Michael S Welch, published by Runpast Publishing 2003, ISBN 1 870754 73 3.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely picture Chris with some interesting things in it;

the light patches an faint lines in the platform which suggests the tarmac may be over old flags.

How light the rusty rail and chairs looks compared to the darker sleepers

The telegraph pole arms dont look level or is it the angle?

The way the starter is half obscured by the water tower,

Don

Lovely picture Chris with some interesting things in it;

the light patches an faint lines in the platform which suggests the tarmac may be over old flags.

How light the rusty rail and chairs looks compared to the darker sleepers

The telegraph pole arms dont look level or is it the angle?

The way the starter is half obscured by the water tower,

Don

Don,

I was particularly interested by the flagstones that appear to have been covered with ashphalt. It is an interesting effect. My platform starter signal is also partially obscured by the water tower, so I was very relieved to see this picture.

Chris

• Like 1

Many thanks Chris - a copy of each just tracked down!

Michael Welch's SOMERSET & DORSET SUNSET arrived yesterday - a lovely collection and at a really good price (18.99 8.99) direct from Book Law at present!

Tony

Many thanks Chris - a copy of each just tracked down!

Michael Welch's SOMERSET & DORSET SUNSET arrived yesterday - a lovely collection and at a really good price (18.99 8.99) direct from Book Law at present!

Tony

I have a copy of that too Tony. The Capital Transport albums are absolutely first class with heaps of inspiration.

Chris

On the subject of books, although it might have been discussed before I have to recommend Vol one, West Gloucester & Wye Valley Lines by Neil Parkhouse. 280 pages of coloured photos.

I have Michael Welch's books as well and this book is certainly of the same quality, great for references and original colour hues. And a plus for myself was two photos of a fruit D in colour, rare as hen's teeth.

Martyn.

Continuing the subject of station running-in boards, few, if any, photographers chose the rear of a running board as a subject for their precious and expensive colour film in the 1950s and 1960s. However, in the peripherary of this of photo we can see the back of the running board on the up main platform at Yatton in Somerset. Like Cwm Bach, it is mounted on posts of redundundant bullhead rail. On the left is the Clevedon branch auto-train and there is much else of interest in this 1959 photo taken by Peter Gray.

Current effort on Cwm Bach is focused on the area behind the buffer stops at the terminal end of the station. Hopefully, I will have some photos to show at the end of the week.

post-13142-0-17044000-1427275457_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I spent a pleasant couple of hours last night knocking up some poster boards for Cwm Bach. Sheet plasticard and Evergreen strip are the main materials. They should be installed in their designated positions over the weekend. The posters were scanned from postcards and then reduced in size in a MS Word document. The poster enticing the residents of Cwm Bach to Bristol had to be included as it's my home city. Send me a PM If you want a copy of the posters.

post-13142-0-67856200-1427445250_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-38030600-1427445262_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-92595600-1427445277_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

I spent a pleasant couple of hours last night knocking up some poster boards for Cwm Bach. Sheet plasticard and Evergreen strip are the main materials. They should be installed in their designated positions over the weekend. The posters were scanned from postcards and then reduced in size in a MS Word document. The poster enticing the residents of Cwm Bach to Bristol had to be included as it's my home city. Send me a PM If you want a copy of the posters.

Wot, no Skegness fisherman?

I spent a bit of time this eveningworking on some details for Cwm Bach. On the desk is third poster hoarding that is setting before painting. The telephone boxes are the new Peco kits. They are good, but the telephone is a modern push-button affair, whereas I need an old Button A and Button B device. A Langley pillar box will accompany the telephone box. The GWR bench seat is also Peco. I added an extra support to the middle of the bench as the centre span looked too long without it. This means I will only get three benches from the pack of four and I do wonder why Peco decided to mould them in green instead of brown? I can't remember the ssource of the 40 gallon oil drums, but I do know that one can never have too many of them. Finally, at the back on the Mac keyboard are four specimens of the new Peco push bikes. There are two sprues of four in a pack. They are nice, but the absence of spokes is quite plain in 7mm scale. However, I'm not going to attempt to make spokes from strands of fair or other fine filaments; I'll leave that to the Scale 7 masochists.

post-13142-0-92926500-1427497725_thumb.jpg

• Like 14