Locomotive workings 1950s summer timetables

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

For many years my modelling interests have focussed on the Cornwall main line and the Newquay branch in the 1950s, with a succession of layouts representing various elements of these. Thanks to books such as the Xpress Publishing series, and information gathered from various e-groups, forums, websites and other sources, I now have the relevant service timetables and a comprehensive picture of carriage and van workings for the period.

However, I have not been able to find the same level of information on loco workings so I thought I would start this topic to see what information might be available.

I'm not looking for specific loco numbers or even classes (although that would be of interest) but rather for information about the workings or diagrams that the locos followed - for example I have seen a reference somewhere to the loco off the Down TPO working the 1400 Penzance - Crewe parcels; and to the loco off the 2150 Paddington working the Up Riviera, then the Down Riviera, then the 1920 Penzance. But that, apart from the list of shunting engine workings in the service timetable, is that.

I very much look forward to receiving, or being pointed towards sources for, any information on these loco workings.

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Dave, I have both The District Controller's View: Plymouth to Penzance and Operation Cornwall. While these are both strong on carriage workings, they are less so on loco workings unfortunately. I think the Southern Region Operating Histories have more on loco diagrams but so far there are no Western Region equivalents.

Archived