Β 

American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

Scenic work is well under way on 'Enderless', my 2ft-square O Scale pizza.

Track is now ballasted, and various ground & grass textures being added, although the longer (10mm I think) static grass doesn't seem to want to stand up like it should. Looks more as if a recent rain storm has flattened it!!

20240715_211402.jpg.e18692031de3c984e745aba7216d9fc9.jpg

Β 

20240715_211447.jpg.eb7ee85bbd5630ff48f8147a2345ad77.jpg

Β 

And just a reminder this is not a 3-rail layout - it's dual gauge!!!....

20240715_211803.jpg.98b071703d0bfaa4cc8f6a213c295fc6.jpg

Β 

The scenics is good practice for my main Portway Terminal layout. Meanwhile a gratuitous reminder that this layout, & my British Lyddlow Goods, will be lowering standards at the Cradley Heath MRC Show, Oct. 12th. 😁

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

Posted (edited)

With the bad influence of the Pizza lurking around, tonight after a short 'serious' Operating Session switching the spurs on Portway Terminal, I ran 'Northroader Bob' & the Heritage cabooses, and got a bit carried away with the speed.

The train stayed on the track, & looked so funny going up the 'bad' track, I had to film it. 😁

The video is not speeded up; this is real time with 'Northroader Bob' in Notch 8 - a.k.a. Speed Step 28. I reduced the max voltage CV5 on all my Plymouths, so it's not getting full volts, & could go even faster. 😱

Remember - "Model Railroading is Fun!!" Enjoy....

Β 

Edit - changed video clip.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

With the bad influence of the Pizza lurking around, tonight after a short 'serious' Operating Session switching the spurs on Portway Terminal, I ran 'Northroader Bob' & the Heritage cabooses, and got a bit carried away with the speed.

The train stayed on the track, & looked so funny going up the 'bad' track, I had to film it. 😁

The video is not speeded up; this is real time with 'Northroader Bob' in Notch 8 - a.k.a. Speed Step 28. I reduced the max voltage CV5 on all my Plymouths, so it's not getting full volts, & could go even faster. 😱

Remember - "Model Railroading is Fun!!" Enjoy.....

Β 

🀒

• Funny 4

Posted (edited)

Rather more sensible operations - mostly!! - today on the Portway Terminal. Myself &Β @the black knightΒ had an ops session that lasted nearly four hours - but that was 'only' four trains of inbound cars and four corresponding outbound 'empties'. So on average, switching a train in & out following a switch list takes around an hour - not bad for what amounts to two switches and three spurs!!

I also took the chance to take a few more photos, and one in particular getting the camera where the human mk1 eyeball cannot reach...

20240720_165604.jpg.efe70da1e9f884ddec2c6c712b11fa2d.jpg

Β 

For me one of the most attractive aspects of the old Soo Line was the mix of open prairies, grain elevators, and eye-catching engines. Ok here it's a Feed Mill, but the effect is the same (apart from the lack of open prairie as well πŸ™„πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜³ anyone any good with Photoshop??!! 😁 ) ......

20240720_170050.jpg.7674d63a3d246c4e204d23efb9ff0874.jpg

Β 

Today the Portway Terminal was using the Soo Line SW1200RS on lease to switch Shortside Industrial Park.

20240720_165828.jpg.3387b2dc44b577bfd3ea394729344588.jpg

Β 

I was running each 'inbound' train round on the main for a bit, meanwhile Ye Black Ker-niggit (think Monty Python!) was switching the park. During one propelling move, we experienced a derailment that looked so prototypical, it was almost a pleasure to watch!! A boxcar split the switch next to Co-Pack Food Processors, Inc.

The train crew didn't seem to share our enjoyment, however, judging from how they're contemplating the problem....

20240720_185135.jpg.243891e31f0658c9bd1ba265969fecca.jpg

Β 

20240720_185207.jpg.55cb5ca042d76fb175685bb4e96384aa.jpg

They're clearly not looking forward to the extra paperwork, or the delay that will severely curtail drinking time in the local bar tonight....πŸ™„πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£

As I've said before - derailments are prototypical - just embrace & enjoy the moment!! πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ‘

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 3

it was entirely not my fault πŸ™‚, I blame the "inbound" train for blocking my view for several seconds. But it did add amusement to the operating session. its funny, had a couple of minor derailments only when I wasn't paying attention.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Your previous comments about having figures in natural static poses is really borne out by those pictures. Really does look like the crew's resigned to the extra work but lacking the motivation!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, the black knight said:

its funny, had a couple of minor derailments only when I wasn't paying attention.

Rolling stock is like naughty boys - stop watching & they misbehave!!

Rev. Awdry was quite accurate with his discription "troublesome trucks"..!! 😁

Β 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Your previous comments about having figures in natural static poses is really borne out by those pictures. Really does look like the crew's resigned to the extra work but lacking the motivation!

That's the classic "If we stand and stare at it for long enough, it might fix itself" pose. Brilliantly captured.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

The next Soo Line loco project is waiting in the wings...

One of the items Sir Bob Northroader generously gave me was a Weaver Alco FA1.

The Soo Line did have some of these, but they're before my Era really, and none of them got the white & red livery. However when Soo Line traded them in for new GP30s in the early 1960s, to save costs the Alco trucks were refurbished & used under the GP30s rather than the usual EMD trucks. GP30s were also the first locos to be delivered from new in the white & red livery....

10-21-2014045.jpeg.3d0966ffd9f0bc0e53e542d5ff07f355.jpeg

Β 

So, although a GP30 wasn't on my radar before, this Weaver FA1 opened up an oppotunity, especially with the discovery that Bachmann/Williams did a very creditable GP30 (phase 2), albeit in 3-rail. I'd never looked closely at Williams before, my impression was that their stuff is mostly at the toy end of 3-rail. Finding a GP30 bodyshell on ebay was just too tempting, despite a slightly "HOW MUCH??!!" price, but compared to current prices for a whole loco, still actually not too bad really (he says, still sweating slightly!!)

So - take one Weaver FA1....

20240721_203307.jpg.d34af772f91aa2566a0dd2bd33f6deae.jpg

Β 

One Williams GP30 body...

20240721_203325.jpg.772f3b3c6c6538d94afb8b38728232b0.jpg

Β 

And mix....

20240721_203808.jpg.a77888218011dc4209119b6f9a41d1ff.jpg

Β 

Ok, there's some work to do..!!!! πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£ but the basics are there πŸ‘

However with my GP40 and GP38-2 still in bits/awaiting progress, this one may be a while. What decade are we in now...?? πŸ€”πŸ˜³πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20240720_185117.jpg.b686541bfd458b6dcbafd3ba5168f7d6.jpg

The investigation into last Saturday's derailment at Shortside Yard North has published the results of it's findings into the cause of the incident.

The boxcar was being propelled along the spur, taking the 'straight' route through the switch. It was found that the GATX tanker was actually the problem - the wheelsets on the truck closest to the CSX boxcar caught the switch blade for the curved route, rode up, over and on to the curve, taking the boxcar with it, and dragging it off the spur rails.

The report said it was remarkable that the boxcar truck stayed in place, which facilitated a speedy re-railing operation (once the crew got their hands out of their pockets!!). This was due to the truck being bolted to the boxcar chassis, which is not normal full size practise.

It was a surprise to the Portway Terminal management that the tanker wheelsets needed adjustments. It had recently been re-equipped with trucks from Kadee Quality Products Co, as have other items of rolling stock, none of which have needed adjustments. However in this instance a visit to the Wheel Puller at Portway's shops, to ease the back-to-backs by a smidge (technical term) has cured the issue. The other truck on the tanker was found to be within tolerances, and tests showed that if this truck had been leading through the switch, the derailment was highly unlikely to occur in the first place.... πŸ™„πŸ˜πŸ‘

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

From incidents like this, and other things like the state of some of the track on Portway Terminal, it would be easy to get the impression that US Short Lines operate with a sort of free-for-all, devil-may-care attitude, free of lots of regulations and inconvenient Red Tape.

While researching which body investigates Short Lines I came across this interesting article...

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/fra-shuts-down-oklahoma-short-line/

Β 

Along with more major incidents like the lethal Lac-MΓ©gantic rail disaster ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-MΓ©gantic_rail_disasterΒ ) it shows that even if they try & operate with disregard for the rules, they will be held to account.

Β 

With regard to the Portway Terminal, one of the recommendations is an increase in Crew operational training, which the staff, both full- and part-time, are very much in favour of. It just has to be got past the SWMBO Authority, now.... πŸ˜πŸ™„πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€£

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think crew training is a much neglected area of the hobby at exhibitions one can often see crew operating who haven't even learnt the route as far as one can tell.

Β 

Don

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

several months ago my brass colored boxcab running on portway, and since we had nice weather recently, I've finally got round to painting it , just got to paint the roof black and add the extra details and lights to finish off before decals and weathering.

DSCF9283.JPG

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)

The Boxcab undergoing haulage tests yesterday, rounding North Bend, Englefield.... πŸ‘πŸ‘

Β 

It's fitted with a Soundtrax Tsunami 2 decoder & stay alive. The motor is quite a small one. It has delrin chain drive so both axles driven, & the second axle has an equalising beam for track holding. Some lead weight has been added - 3 'average' Atlas & MTH cars was it's limit especially on the curves, and it struggled with 2 heavy MTH Hicubes. We didn't test it but it would probably manage 4 or 5 of my lighter Weaver boxcars.

I suppose I ought to weigh everything for more precise data, but that would involve a tricky operation smuggling scales from the kitchen to the loft..... 😬😱🀣

Β 

Β 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Radiator cooler group on the roof?

There is a radiator grill, actually on the leading end in the video, but not yet painted.

One job we did was put very small 'F' decals on the frames at the other end to denote the front, which has more windows.

Did the real things have a Radiator cooler group on the roof, anyway?

IMG-20240625-WA0001.jpg.ba7e4c0ddc3ceb624a325f04a24eaebd.jpg

Β 

ge23tonboxcab.jpg.382e701c7ab280058ebca91d744eecee.jpg

Β 

Usual problem witΔ₯ US locos - finding overhead photos rather than from ground level..!!!

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

You’re right, I was thinking all that sort of thing had stuff on the roof.

Β 

https://dieselfutures.tumblr.com/post/662661104042934272/pennsylvania-railroad-class-a6-electric-boxcab

Β 

or there was the streamliner boxcab:

Β 

https://www.cnwhs.org/ageir/ageir.html

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Oh the Pennsy was well known for disfiguring it's locos by shoving loads of stuff on the roof.... πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ‘

f3_phII_early.jpg.5ed2bee7d7cf502f7dfb1da24d8f5901.jpg

Β 

Similar to the Espee & it's "Why have one headlight when six will do?" Policy. 😁

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

so I've been doing some researches and I've drawn a basic idea of the interior.

interestingly the kit adds a partition inside but the video and pics I've seen doesn't have one.

Β 

also its the painting is almost finished just to add the varnish and weathering. and ive been playing with the sound and hopefully improved it😬

basic GE23t boxcab interior.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 07/08/2024 at 20:50, the black knight said:

I've been doing some researches and I've drawn a basic idea of the interior.

Interesting there's only the one driving position. I sort of just assumed there'd be a second one, diagonally opposite πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

Now I understand why you mentioned fitting rear view mirrors. πŸ˜πŸ‘

Β 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m Β impressed & looking forward to building my boxcab. But the layout needs more progress first

Β 

Ive not seen any photos of the GE box locos with coolers on the roof, not to say they Β didn’t exist.

Β 

Β 

Added another 'must have' book to my Soo Line collection this week.

20240810_115649.jpg.47731a8bc7cd915d9148855ad9788471.jpg

It's quite an old one, published in 1978. I've been aware of it for almost as long as I've been interested in the Soo Line, but as is the way with American out-of-print books, they often go for $illy money, especially if mint, then shipping is often the same price again to the UK!!

This one was in good nick though, at a good price, with the cheapest shipping I've seen in ages. I've had to wait a few weeks for it, maybe it came by sea? But at £27 all-in, books being VAT-exempt of course, I think that's close to 'Bargain' territory. 😁

As I said, being published in 1978, much has happened to the Soo Line since, but the optimism of the late '70s, when the Soo was a stable, profitable Railroad, comes through.

Still in 'Soo Line Bore' Mode, this brings my Soo books collection to twelve....

20240810_115712.jpg.2ffc915613f4b1b13351565f11089fa3.jpg

Yes, there's only 11 in the photo - the 12th is a mighty tome that was a lot of hard reading that I didn't finish, & it's in the loft with my other books.

The 12th book in the photo, 'Regional Railroads...' includes the Wisconsin Central, closely associated with the Soo of course but ultimately taken over by Canadian National.

'The Little Jewel' is a Soo Line book by Wallace Abbey, the man who designed the white & red livery, and the title is a quote of a CP Rail Director - how he described the Soo in those profitable late 70s years.Β 

• Like 2