Hornby Drummond 700

Robin Brasher

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the tip off, acquired the 30315 (R3239) they had just listed for the same price...

Hi

Looking at the way the smoke box has been done with the mould lines, why could they have just made the chimney a pug in one, then you would not need to have the mould lines?.

Darren

• RMweb Premium

Wakey,Wakey.....they've been there for at least a week.Where d'you think my R3238 was sourced?

When I looked once, there wasn't one, later there was. So not there all the time.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

When I looked once, there wasn't one, later there was. So not there all the time.

Keith

The pattern seems to be when one is sold,another appears a day or so after.Take a look at her e bay sellers separate website.Not everything is sold at such a deep discount.....I bought aGWR64XX pannier at £61 and the 700 at £92.95 both post free...but the bargains are there to be had and the service is excellent,particularly the packaging.It is also a genuine model shop.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wakey,Wakey.....they've been there for at least a week.Where d'you think my R3238 was sourced?

I wasn't looking for one last week  :jester:  :jester:

Though I have had a lot of Locos from her over the years, including a lot of Bulleid Light Pacific Donors  :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't looking for one last week  :jester:  :jester:

Though I have had a lot of Locos from her over the years, including a lot of Bulleid Light Pacific Donors  :sungum:

Likewise,I wasn't looking for another 700 but she put another late BR version up a little earlier this morning and like the weak willed person I am,I fell for it. Well,the SR one sold it to me and at that price.......beam me up Scottie.

• Like 1

I got mine at Rails of Sheffield's pre-order price, although that has now gone up now they are in stock.

Bearing in mind we antipodean modellers have to pay a lot more for post and packing, but we get VAT off in many of the mail order shops, the eBay prices are not so competitive over here. A quick search on eBay revealed that "amandajane" (AJM Railways) works out cheaper overall, including postage, for buyers on this side of the world. Amanda provides excellent service and responds fairly promptly to emails or queries.

I intend this as a helpful hint, and not to denigrate "kitlady", who also provides an excellent service - I have had happy dealings with both dealers.

Edited by SRman

I have a problem

Hattons shipped me a R3239 BR Class 700 instead of the R3238 SR version I ordered. They have thus far failed to acknowledge the error in spite of sending them pictures of the wrong engine. Given that the R3238 is now in short supply I am a unlikely to work out an exchange particularly as it is difficult and expensive to ship the R3239 back from the US. In spite of being a Hattons customer for 30 years, I am not impressed with how they have handled (or not handled) the issue.  

I had been planning to to move the R3238 forward to 1945-47 Southern Sunshine paint scheme anyway.

That being the case, I will have to go about backdating the "R3239 No. 30315 – BR livery late crest, 14 ft wheel base tender and correctly no builders plate"  to pre BR condition 1945-47 condition.

Was the capuchon (spelling ?) on the smokestack still there on most 700's in the SR post war period? 

I have some snifter valves from Peter's spares that were to be used on an N class detailing project. Would they work on the 700?

Looks like I will have to carve the BR number plate off the smokebox door. 

Does the tender need any modifications? 

Anything else I am missing other than the builders plate.

thx

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Premium

I have a problem

Hattons shipped me a R3239 BR Class 700 instead of the R3238 SR version I ordered. They have thus far failed to acknowledge the error in spite of sending them pictures of the wrong engine. Given that the R3238 is now in short supply I am a unlikely to work out an exchange particularly as it is difficult and expensive to ship the R3239 back from the US. In spite of being a Hattons customer for 30 years, I am not impressed with how they have handled (or not handled) the issue.  

I had been planning to to move the R3238 forward to 1945-47 Southern Sunshine paint scheme anyway.

That being the case, I will have to go about backdating the "R3239 No. 30315 – BR livery late crest, 14 ft wheel base tender and correctly no builders plate"  to pre BR condition 1945-47 condition.

Was the capuchon (spelling ?) on the smokestack still there on most 700's in the SR post war period? 

I have some snifter valves from Peter's spares that were to be used on an N class detailing project. Would they work on the 700?

Looks like I will have to carve the BR number plate off the smokebox door. 

Does the tender need any modifications? 

Anything else I am missing other than the builders plate.

thx

If you could use some extra Maunsell coaches the "Return from Dunkirk" set has a later SR version included (no capuchon!):

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/1940-return-from-dunkirk-train-pack-limited-edition.html?___SID=U

However if the coaches are of no use the cost is a bit OOT.

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Autocoach: my past experience with Hattons is that they do correct their errors and include refunding any return postage in that. If they haven't responded to emails, try a quick phone call (international calls are not all that expensive). 

If you could use some extra Maunsell coaches the "Return from Dunkirk" set has a later SR version included (no capuchon!):

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/1940-return-from-dunkirk-train-pack-limited-edition.html?___SID=U

However if the coaches are of no use the cost is a bit OOT.

Cheers

Keith

It was the complete three-set of R4 coaches, in unlined Maunsell Green, that tipped the balance for me, and so I purchased the trainset. I could easily persuade myself to need the singleton 700, but it's going to be an expensive 12 months anyway. I am sure that other members here have totted up the upcoming promises (the two types of Adams Tanks, plus variations,  and the assorted types of panelled coaches). Layout space is getting severely limited, and my taste is for operation.

PB

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ben Alder - fascinated by this (your photo above) and in how you have achieved this. But wouldn't it have need easier to start with a Bachmann C class, which has - to my mind - more the right proportions of boiler and smokebox saddle?

John

Autocoach: my past experience with Hattons is that they do correct their errors and include refunding any return postage in that. If they haven't responded to emails, try a quick phone call (international calls are not all that expensive). 

Unfortunately I received a very snippy reply (never before happened with Hattons in dealing with them for 30 years) to the effect that I had ordered the R3238 and if I was unhappy with my choice of the R3238 I could return it at my cost and they would send me the R3239 at my cost postage both ways.  This totally misinterpreted my email complaining that they had shipped the R3239 instead of the R3238. I even enclosed pictures of the R3829 I received in the Hattons Hattons shipping box in my reply to show they had sent the wrong item. It has been 10 days and I have received no return email. At this point I will just lump it and schedule the R3239 for retrofit to pre BR condition at some point. As I mentioned I was going to have to re-livery anyway to 1942-47 condition with a Sunshine SOUTHERN on the tender and SR engine number on the cab. I won't have to remove the SR  version lining either.

I too thought about the Return from Dunkirk set but the three extra coaches were not required for my North Cornwall setting and it was a bit expensive.  I have many of the low window Maunsell coaches already in olive that I am going to 're-varnish' to unlined condition for post war service when and if I get around to it. I have only done one coach so far.

• RMweb Gold

I had fancied the Dunkirk set, but felt the three Maunsells were in effect a bit pricey at £50 each, compared to the cost of a 700 in other liveries. So finding a Southern version in Paignton Model Shop for £99 clinched it.

• RMweb Gold

"Novelty" train packs are aimed purely and simply at collectors; let's face it, how many people model the few days when the Dunkirk theme would be prototypical?

The r.r.p of that particular pack looks a bit steep but, If ALL the contents are appropriate for ones modelling interests, you might find one at a bit of a discount or be willing to wait on the off chance that Hornby will dump unsold ones later on their website.

Wanting only one element of a Train Pack is something many of us will have encountered and I have certain ex-Train Pack Maunsell coaches that I managed to acquire separately in the past through trawling round the net, swapmeets and exhibitions.

It is a bit early in the day to easily find anyone willing to split this one but these coaches form a "proper" 3-set which has not been offered in this livery before. The problem, I suspect, is that most potential buyers will want all the components even if they don't intend to use them together so there may not be much demand for splitting.

However, even at the price calculated by Oldddudders, a 3-set of this quality is still probably £60 cheaper than the price I expect to agonise over when Bachmann's Birdcage set eventually emerges.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Having pre-ordered the SR version I ended up buying the train pack as well, as it suits my chosen periods. I aim to be able to operate in mid/late '30s, WW2 or post-war mode. I doubt the Maunsell set will ever actually run with the loco though. I got a 'regular customer' discount so it didn't hurt too much. I think that the lined version is very attractive and I doubt I can bring myself to weather it.

Pete

• Like 1

Ben Alder - fascinated by this (your photo above) and in how you have achieved this. But wouldn't it have need easier to start with a Bachmann C class, which has - to my mind - more the right proportions of boiler and smokebox saddle?

John

I actually used a C chassis for my previous kit build of this type- a very flawed DJH one- and it fits reasonably well, but I paid no attention to the body as a potential donor. Had a good look at it last night, and the basic boiler shape and proportions are fairly close. The problem with the 812 class is that the boiler is set at a higher pitch than most of the various CR varieties, and would need raised somewhat, along with alterations to cab and splashers. Not much more than the 700 needed I suppose, but the 700 is  a better starting point than the C. Mind you, it is probably feasible to use the C for some of the earlier Jumbos, but they are not relevant to my era  or setting, so my knowledge of them is scant.

I'll give the C some further thought though- its lying unused in a cupboard, and I might retire the kit version, freeing up its chassis.......