Hornby Drummond 700

Robin Brasher

It adds to the character, although I agree that it gives a somewhat front-heavy, unbalanced look ... reminiscent of the GWR 56XX 0-6-2T locomotives. Both types look very purposeful in their own ways.

• RMweb Gold

They were even prettier before the crudely 'tacked on' smokebox extension made them look front heavy in a side on view. This is one pre-group 0-6-0 design I will pass on in model form because its original character was marred by the 'Maunstering' it received.

However attractive they might have been originally, they looked like just another typical English/Scottish small 0-6-0.

The extended smokebox, combined with the higher pitch of the boiler gave them a character all their own.

John

• RMweb Gold

However attractive they might have been originally, they looked like just another typical English/Scottish small 0-6-0.

The extended smokebox, combined with the higher pitch of the boiler gave them a character all their own.

John

Just like a double-dome C2x. Hint, hint, Hornby!

• Like 4

Just seen on the news, a very large container ship has just arrived in the South, from Shanghai in China...one can live in hope, that these 700's may have arrived slightly sooner than anticipated...

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/News/12946762.One_of_the_world_s_biggest_ships_arrives_in_Southampton/

Regards,

Matt

Never get your hopes up.

Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have asked us to notify when it arrives into stock, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby R3239 Class 700 0-6-0 30315 in BR late crest £101.90

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Tuesday 30th June 2015

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

Regards

Retail Team

Hattons Model Railways

Regards,

Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

Hornby R3240 class 700 30693 in BR early crest is arriving at the same time. I wonder why the pre-nationalisation ones often arrive later. I would also be interested to find out which is the most popular. I am modelling the Swanage Railway and I have no records of the 700s visiting the Railway in Southern days. It has not stopped me from pre-ordering all three.

• Like 1

According to the Hattons web site R3238 E695 SR 1920s/1930s is due after Monday 15 June 2015. 30695 was the Swanage branch goods engine so for me it is a pity that Hornby has chosen E695 for the pre-Nationalisation version. R3302 1940 Return from Dunkirk train pack is due on or after Wednesday 1 July 2015. I would be surprised if the train pack sells as well as the others.

According to the Hattons web site R3238 E695 SR 1920s/1930s is due after Monday 15 June 2015. 30695 was the Swanage branch goods engine so for me it is a pity that Hornby has chosen E695 for the pre-Nationalisation version. R3302 1940 Return from Dunkirk train pack is due on or after Wednesday 1 July 2015. I would be surprised if the train pack sells as well as the others.

I would not express an opinion, one way or t'other, but I hope to get an early delivery of this particular trainpack. And to help fund this pleasure I have waived the opportunity for a green E4. Trouble is, the layout has had to be dismantled temporarily, and pro tem I have no running facilities at home. There is going to be a catching-up session come Autumn.

PB

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've given up and cancelled my pre-order as I am fed up with the inexplicable delay (there was a completed example being shown by Hornby the thick end of two years ago now so what's the problem?) and my modelling focus has shifted.

I will probably still wind up buying one but its on hold for now.

I have been waiting for 65 years for Tri-ang, Hornby Dublo and their successors to produce a conventional Southern 0-6-0 goods engine so an extra two or three years is not going to make much difference. I will be disappointed if I am not still alive when it does come out because there may not be any model railways for me in the next World.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have been waiting for 65 years for Tri-ang, Hornby Dublo and their successors to produce a conventional Southern 0-6-0 goods engine so an extra two or three years is not going to make much difference. I will be disappointed if I am not still alive when it does come out because there may not be any model railways for me in the next World.

Hi Robin,

Your name is familiar, did you write articles for Railway Modeller in the 1960s/70s?

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I remain ever optimistic, this sort of thing does nothing to improve Hornbys reputation.

So we can take then that their supply issues are not as resolved as they might have us believe.

Ho hum. .....

Rob

• RMweb Gold

I dont have a layout to run one on at present and having just bought other things I am happy to wait a bit longer.

One day all these products that I have pre ordered, will arrive the same month and catch me out :sungum:

• Like 1

John, given that the Engineering Samples appeared first in September 2014, and the loco itself wasn't announced until the 2014 range, how were they about the "thick end of two years ago?" Did Hornby show samples before they had even announced the model, or did you just pick dates out of the air at random? Just wondering....

Dave. I did write articles for the Railway Modeller in the 1970s. They don't want any more from me about the Swanage Railway as enough has already been written about it. The first kit built locomotive I made was a BEC 700 on a Tri-ang diesel shunter chassis. I thought it was a fool proof model to make but I had a problem with the tender wheels and I cut the notch in the back of the chassis in the wrong place so the body was at a slight angle. I used it a lot on my model for goods, clay and parcels trains and for shunting carriages at Swanage. It is a bit play worn now and looks a bit toy like compared with the new Hornby T9s and Bulleid light Pacifics. There will be plenty of work for the new Hornby 700s to do on my layout and the Hornby 700s are bound to look better than the BEC 700s although the Hornby models may not be able to pull as many coaches as the BEC 700.

I have been waiting for 65 years for Tri-ang, Hornby Dublo and their successors to produce a conventional Southern 0-6-0 goods engine ...

I'm always curious why so many people seem to think that a Q1 somehow doesn't count.

The Q1 is an utterly delightful model, beautifully rendered by Hornby. Despite being much more interested in Norfolk, I somehow seem to have acquired a small fleet of the lovely things.

Paul

• Like 2

But the Q1 only works from 1942 onwards. I agree that the 700 is a very useful model, filling a rather large gap. I would also like to see things like C2 / C2X and Q

• RMweb Premium

Dave. I did write articles for the Railway Modeller in the 1970s. They don't want any more from me about the Swanage Railway as enough has already been written about it. The first kit built locomotive I made was a BEC 700 on a Tri-ang diesel shunter chassis. I thought it was a fool proof model to make but I had a problem with the tender wheels and I cut the notch in the back of the chassis in the wrong place so the body was at a slight angle. I used it a lot on my model for goods, clay and parcels trains and for shunting carriages at Swanage. It is a bit play worn now and looks a bit toy like compared with the new Hornby T9s and Bulleid light Pacifics. There will be plenty of work for the new Hornby 700s to do on my layout and the Hornby 700s are bound to look better than the BEC 700s although the Hornby models may not be able to pull as many coaches as the BEC 700.

Thanks very much Robin, I will try and find your articles.  I remember them being influential when I was building my Southern branch line. 

That was before I had a brainstorm and switched to narrow gauge.

I expect you are right about the Hornby 700 pulling power; I havent seen one ,myself, but a freind has and he reports it being a bit of a lightweight.  I expect the Bec model with its whitemetal body on a diecast chassis weighs a ton does it? 

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Does any model making get done or is everyone waiting for someone else to do it for them?

Yep. Far too lazy.

Rob