Hornby Drummond 700

Robin Brasher

• RMweb Premium

Build it it is much more satisfying than opening a box.

Oh I agree. I'm having much fun taking the BEC kit apart and then carving the cab and boiler up. Its really begining to look the part too, which is a relief!

Andy G

• Like 2

I respect kit builders, but as I have said before, some of us are literally incapable of building kits due a significant lack of skills and therefore rely on R-T-R.

That's if we can get the RTR model out of a box without breaking it.

(thinking of such as the Hornby Schools or T9 and 4-pin plug, but there are other models where a bit of forewarning is useful, even a Duchess in the old foam packing needed to be released cab-end first then backwards...)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Putting a model back in the packing can be a nightmare - when said packaging allows insufficient clearance for subsequently fitted detail pack parts. After having neatly broken footplate steps/drain cocks off a couple of new locos when putting them back in their boxes, these days I take a craft knife to any projections or tight spots in the packing as a basic precaution.

• Like 1

I respect kit builders, but as I have said before, some of us are literally incapable of building kits due a significant lack of skills and therefore rely on R-T-R.

You are not born with kit building skills you learn them, by making mistakes whilst building. By say you cant do it without spending years practicing is wrong. My wife is  lawyer I do not say I cant do it, but if I wanted to I would need to spend 7 years a uni the same as she did.

You are not born with kit building skills you learn them, by making mistakes whilst building. By say you cant do it without spending years practicing is wrong. My wife is  lawyer I do not say I cant do it, but if I wanted to I would need to spend 7 years a uni the same as she did.

I know, but what I am saying is, please don't slag off 'box openers' by saying there's no modeling in it, we know.

My depression has lead to a serious lack of effort and will to do anything. My patience is at an all time low, and I really just have no desire to kit build whatsoever. I have tried it, and failed just as many times. Also, my perfectionism would mean I would never be satisfied with a kit, knowing that an RTR model will always be better than any kit I could build.

• RMweb Premium

I agree again. My first attempts were pretty horrific to be honest, and at times even now they are too! The biggest thing that you need to do is this: Spend more time fettling castings/parts than you do putting the whole kit together. I have spent 5 or 6 hours just cleaning some boilers up so that they are round and the flash marks have gone. Any time I try and get a jiggle on i usually end up re-doing it all again!

A kit can take months to put together well, often with large amounts of time inbetween when it is 'maturing'.

I still wish I could make the kits as good as those that pros put together mind

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

I know, but what I am saying is, please don't slag off 'box openers' by saying there's no modeling in it, we know.

My depression has lead to a serious lack of effort and will to do anything. My patience is at an all time low, and I really just have no desire to kit build whatsoever. I have tried it, and failed just as many times. Also, my perfectionism would mean I would never be satisfied with a kit, knowing that an RTR model will always be better than any kit I could build.

I'm not saying that you are not modelling, its a broad church after all, but sometimes you have to go through a lot of pain for it to just click! A level maths took me 6 years and 7 teachers to finally get..... (And I didn't sit the exam in the end...doh!)

I find that kit building (in small bursts, I only ever tend to do about 2 hours max at a time) can actually lift me out of my depression. I'm also a profectionist, and I don't think I've got one kit that I'm 90% happy with (let alone 100%) but I now realise that from normal viewing angles (about 2-3 feet so in 4mm 150-200 scale feet away) you won't see every little defect, and as long as the overall effect is there no-one will notice..

My real reason is that I'm daft enough to be a cat that walks alone, in that for my favored region and time, I HAVE to either kit of scratchbuild....

Battle over?

Andy G

I am not putting any one down. I am just stating that things need to be learned. You are very correct, I too have never made a model I did not think I could do better with. It is this that drives me on to try better.

I am hoping you get your problem under control. I know it can be hard.

• RMweb Gold

Another big factor is time....I have a young daughter who is two and my lad is ten. My partner works opposite shifts to me for childcare. I am up between six and half past in the morning so by the time the guys are in bed it's eight o'clock. A few chores and if I gave half an hour to play trains, great.

It will get better I know but this is why I welcome a rtr 700, something I don't have time to build.....even if I had the ability. I look at Hornbys effort and find myself saying why bother....life's too short.

Rob

Another big factor is time....I have a young daughter who is two and my lad is ten. My partner works opposite shifts to me for childcare. I am up between six and half past in the morning so by the time the guys are in bed it's eight o'clock. A few chores and if I gave half an hour to play trains, great.

It will get better I know but this is why I welcome a rtr 700, something I don't have time to build.....even if I had the ability. I look at Hornbys effort and find myself saying why bother....life's too short.

Rob

I know as a single parent I brought up 4 children a worked full time. Finding time for things is hard work,

Building can be only half the battle, painting can be far more complex in certain cases. I still have not managed those bow pens even after 20 years (mind you I have terrible hand writing too)! But I can make a dam good smooth chassis and can sculpt any 3D shape even from metals like steel.

Anyone new to kit building should start with a simple models, buildings first, then simple wagons until you can build those square and run smoothly, then simple locos (0-6-0). Or you could try a body kit on an RTR chassis (although these can be miles out).

You will note that I did not say build a coach, this is simply because the paint finish is generally more complex than a lot (but not all) of locos.

Take lots of advice, especially getting it built true and square and motor, gearbox, wheel advice.

I always recommend 2 stage gear boxes, the gear teeth are bigger, have more play and less likely to grind - the down side is more space required to fit one. But this is what our modern manufacturers do in effect.

It does take a few goes to get it right. My first kit was a Adams 4-4-0 radial. Right mess, the best thing I can do there would be to buy a new kit and start again. The second a P2, better, tender came out well, loco is ok. The third was a Q1, perfect (with smoke generator). Finally found myself. The forth a Q, not quite as good as the Q as the kit was rather basic (non up graded version), the 6th an S15 converted from a old Hornby N15 and cut down Bachmann Nelson tender. The 7th a W1 in original condition (albeit I had to wait 15 years for correct transfers to be made), again perfect. The 8th a 2 EPB and so on....

Build about 1 a year, don't rush it and buy a collection of kit stocks.

I am hesitating for the next one. Either a SECR J class with simple Wainwright livery (actually complex!) or an un-rebuilt Merchant Navy in BR blue, that I would like to do as state of the art with working lights, DCC sound fitted (very dangerous as metal kits have more chances to short out compared with RTR stuff).

Edited by JSpencer

Please could we keep this thread on topic to the Hornby Drummond 700 rather than one of the perennial discussions of RTR vrs kit built as we all have different abilities and interests.

I say this with a brain the size of a planet but a representation of hands that are not very useful when trying to solder etch kits...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My first kit-built loco was a Bec 700, which was chosen as it was a good way to turn the 3F from my first train set into a Southern loco that I saw regularly through my local station..

It certainly looks like a 700 but I think that is largely because it captures the salient features of a very distinctive prototype. It doesn't look so hot if placed next to a Westward/Crownline/PDK/OO Works example when the tweaks made to accommodate the Tri-ang chassis become very apparent.

I still have mine, though it no longer runs. Getting the tender to stay on the track was damn near impossible and I eventually made a plastikard sub-chassis with brass bushes to get the wheels in line! With hindsight, a Wills 'Q' might have been a better bet!  

I, for one, was delighted when Hornby announced their 700 and am eagerly looking forward to the two I have on order.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The Bec Drummond 700 was the first white metal kit I made and I have still only competed one other kit. When I built it in the early 1970s I had great expectations of it with th weight of the metal body and magnadhesion. I cut the recess in the back of the Triang-Hornby diesel shunter chassis too high so the body of the locomotive sloped forwards and the tender wheels were not quite in alignment. Even so it did work fairly well. I would recommend anyone who has a half completed one to make one as it is not certain that the Hornby version will appear in sufficient quantities to satisfy the demand by early December 2014.

Meanwhile I have found another picture of a 700 on the Swanage Railway. This is in Pocket Book Steam, Volume One, Swanage Branch Steam published by the Southern Steam Trust with pictures by R. Panting. Picture A5 shows 30695 on 9 April 1955 with a mixed goods from Swanage about to cross Corfe Viaduct. The tender has the small cycling lion emblem. The visible part of the train includes a goods van, a five plank open wagon with a tarpaulin load followed by an eight plank open wagon.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if there is an etched kit for the type of snowplough that was fitted to Black Motors in the winter of 1962-3?

I think it was a 'universal' design that was bolted on after taking off the buffers. Exmouth Junction transferred theirs to Collett Goods 2214 and 3205 after the 700s finally went out of use several months after their official withdrawal. 

John

• RMweb Gold

Are we still expecting some of the 700s in October? Can anyone confirm current expected arrival dates, please?

John

December 5 into Margate (all versions) is the most recent date I've been told. So in the shops just in time for Christmas!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Looks impressive, must be said!

It was around a year from a liveried P2 pre-production model breaking cover, to the P2's hitting the shelves. So I wonder how long we'll be waiting for this...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting the images. They do look very good I must say. Can't wait!!!....er yes I can.....

Rob.